The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I could fine an "I'm not worthy" smiley, I'd paste a pile of them here!

Thank you, Magura! Now I'll have to build something that looks good enough to wear these!

Bill

Attachments

• p1020557a.jpg
    p1020557a.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 571
P-10: " ... I am on some list that predates 911 for getting caught in an agricultural endeavor = 24 years ago ..."

No sweat: Its a whole new world down here. Us Gringos have a completely different view of agriculture ... After all = "If you eat, you're involved in agriculture" = bumper sticker on a pickup in North West Texas panhandle.

It is true that certain herbs are frowned upon as potential for import, but not to make a sticking point of it, there are more serious concerns currently = like the plague and the illegals' ownership & finance in the housing markets. :eek:

Just don' try to bring in a laundry bag full ... :eek:

====

LousyMusician: Nice Knobs ...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
DSP_Geek said:
perhaps y'all could do the same with a DIYfest North. You'd be astonished at the number of people who showed up at Burning Amp saying: "I heard about this three days ago from a friend of a friend", so the Great White North event might be larger than you expect.

Already happenin'.... next year will be the 5th annual Vancouver Island diyFEST.

dave

planet10 said:

Already happenin'.... next year will be the 5th annual Vancouver Island diyFEST.

dave

D'oh! Now I remember it! My subconscious is a tricky beast, because it even came up with the right name.

If it's any consolation, I had to stay this side of the border while some visa issues got sorted out (looooong story), so I missed three Christmases with the folks. They came here instead :D and seeing warm California after a Winnipeg winter was a relief for them.

Mr. Pass,
If I had known you were in town with your son, I would have also suggested you walk by the Symphony Hall, with an amazing one story glass sculpture in the lobby. You were about one block from it when you were at the Tabernacle. I would have had you make two stops:
Salt Lake Instrument Co. where 89 year old Bill has sold tubes and repaired scopes for 60+ years before selling the business this summer.
SY knows all about this place from his old college days. And I would have taken you over to Ra-Elco, a family electronics supply business, where rumors are Ray Kimber, Fosgate (at one time), that guy down in Provo, oh yes, Mr. Wilson, and the SoundLab guy have frequented the musty aisles in times past.

You had lunch in the right place downtown, though!:D
Lyndon

Joined 2002
Paid Member
FastEddy said:
I would especially like to see a pic of the assembly of the ribbon tweeters demo done in the AM, if possible ...

Well here are a few that I've been able to find on my camera.
First off is Aleks with all the parts for a 140-15D tweeter in front of him. The presentation was projected on the wall behind Aleks so that everyone in the room could see. I suspect it was also being videotaped so there's a chance that AR2 might have a youtube video down the road.

Attachments

• raal1.jpg
    raal1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 611
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Now here is Aleks attaching one of the magnets to one of the steel side panels. Aleks was explaining all the details on how he designed the magnets and how all of the machining makes the tweeter simple to assemble yet incredibly precise and strong.

Attachments

• raal2.jpg
    raal2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 543
Joined 2002
Paid Member
After a bit more work which we can't disclose so that Aleks has a few secrets, Aleks solders the ribbon to complete the job. Without giving away too much I can say that it did involve a bit of hammering with a rubber mallet, a bit of super glue, and a lot of hot air.

---Gary

Attachments

• raal4.jpg
    raal4.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 519
Joined 2002
Paid Member
By the way, let me add my thanks to Vladimir, Mark, Sy, and Nelson for making the Burning Amp festival a truly unique experience. The location was superb, being right on the water with great views of Alcatraz and Marin County. The firehouse had perhaps the highest ceilings I've ever seen, being easily taller than it was long. Despite or perhaps because of the unique dimensions, the sound was surprisingly good throughout the day. Vlad's triamped Lambda, PHL, RAAL system overwhelmed everyone with it's ability to fill the space with great power as well as delicacy. Later we switched over to much simpler full range systems which brought a purity of sound which I personally find very compelling. And we finished with Mark's (Variac) Fostex/Aurum Cantus/JBL biamped system which in some ways was my personal favorite. The JBL woofers only came in at 200hz so it had a lot of the full range driver purity but also added extension and power handling that a single driver can't really match.

It was fun being able to hear other peoples creations as well as show off a few of mine. And it's pretty amazing to find so many kindred spirits in one place.

THANKS!

---Gary

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This is the Klippel speaker driver analysis system demoed by Jack Hidley. You can see the red laser spot on the cone. The cone positon, movement and acceleration is measured and many different properties calculated from it.

It was fascinating to see what happens to the mechanical properties of a driver under load, like the change of resonance frequency with excursion.

Jan Didden

Attachments

• dsc01279.jpg
    dsc01279.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 504
Wow, I really had a great time yesterday!

:up: :up: :up:

Tons of cool stuff to see and hear, great conversation, and of course Nelson giving away heaps of goodies - what more could you wish for? It was really nice to meet everyone face to face, and get a good look at the stuff people brought. I've definitely picked up some inspiration for future projects, and it has been a good impetus to get moving on my projects, rather than plodding along at my usual glacial pace.

A HUGE thanks to AR2, Variac, and SY for organizing this, and also to the many others who helped out. You guys really pulled off a fantastic event. :wiz: It will be hard to top this next year (ahh, but somehow I suspect we can do it!)...

I think another round of applause needs to go to all the people who made the extra effort to turn out - some travelling from afar, others lugging large/heavy equipment (or both!). Of course, we would not have had any event without you!

I have a handful of photos from the event - I'll have to get those in order and post 'em.

Oh my, oh my - some conclusions -

1) I need to build some better speakers, especially some efficient ones. It was worth the price of admission just to hear the speaker submissions.

2) It was a real pleasure to link up avatars/names from publications past with actual people - hello new friends.....

3) Lots and lots of local folks dropped in. It would be a neat idea to have some small, informal gatherings in the coming months to bat around new ideas and audition works in progress. ( This could be as simple as "lets some of us meet at ____, hoist a few brews, and talk about stuff in the works, or "I just finished a pair of speakers - let's do an audition". No need to hold it all in until the next BA.
I have a tendency to kind of hold the cards close to my chest. Seeing the wealth of ideas out there and the huge amount of prior art (a lot of which is still news to me), I realize now it would be better to share stuff earlier in the design ptrocess, as we all have a lot to offer one another.

4) Santa Zen - Thank you, thank you for your generosity (physical and intellectual). I intend to make some noise in the coming months with my small portion of the enormous heap of swag you brought.

To the organizers, all of you - thank you for making this happen. I strongly believe this is the start of a tradition, and we all will look back at this fiirst BA with nostalgia.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.