The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jan,
If I really like it, can I build one for myself? This means getting the board layout and schematics with the understanding that they go no further.
I'll leave that until after I hear it and you can ponder this later. Just a possibility.

-Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Geek said:

BWUAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!! :devilr:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

it will be interesting that we can arrange attendance of mods (yup-even lazy ones) from another board to this dreky board official meet ............ we can thought them what non-scrupules are .... :devilr:

naah

cruel world .................. :clown:

Sweet! This is going to be great...

Now if only I'd known earlier... alas, I recently finished disassembling a couple of old projects I was done with, including my version of John Swenson's BDT (Beam Deflection Tube) preamp. That one had a special sound to it... would have been fun to share. :(

But, I can probably bring along the prototype of my current-mirror UGS preamp. Hopefully I can make some more progress on that soon - it has been stalled for the past six weeks or so while I've been out of the country and otherwise far too busy. I've got to cobble together a proper control circuit for it's binary-stepped attenuator (right now I am doing manual bit-flipping, making use of the latching relays).

What else... I could bring along my Zaph L18's for a listen. I could also bring some test equipment, if it is needed... scope, diff amps, distortion analyzer, precision meters, tube tester, bench supplies, etc. Whatever I can fit in my car.

Really looking forward to this!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Chad,
I could also bring some test equipment, if it is needed... scope, diff amps, distortion analyzer, precision meters, tube tester, bench supplies, etc. Whatever I can fit in my car.
What do you have in the way of test equipment? I am interested in the THD analyzer. If I don't need to attempt to bring my HP 339A, so much the better! I'm coming by air from the Toronto area.

-Chris

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Variac said:

Zen,
There's one problem with your "On Topic" Pumpkin thread.It's impossible to find anything "off topic" such as your schematic...I 'm afraid ony the hardiest DIYers will ever discover the pleasures of it. I guess that's the idea- they have to earn it!

yup ; you're right ; soon as I' would have my primary pc in function ,I'would make one dedicated site for mine and Oly's musings ;
so ,then you'll can just click on something below my sig and see what are my actual stooopiditiezzzzz

:clown:

anatech said:
Hi Chad,
What do you have in the way of test equipment? I am interested in the THD analyzer. If I don't need to attempt to bring my HP 339A, so much the better! I'm coming by air from the Toronto area.

-Chris
Hi Chris,

I have a Tek AA-501 - not quite as clean or useful as a modern soundcard + spectrum analyzer software. However, it has some nice features, and the SG-505 that goes with it is a very low distortion generator, excellent as a standalone sine source. So by all means, spare yourself the effort - YYZ-SFO is a long way to haul something as big and heavy as a 339A! Besides, the luggage space is best devoted to your projects! ;)

I think between the locals, we probably have most of the test gear needs covered, especially anything large and heavy.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
little :Pumpkin: thread overwiev

Variac said:
I now actually TRIED (sometimes that helps) and discovered a very balanced schematic as the FIRST POST. That wasn't so hard....
Another idea is when the boards are done is to start another thread "Building the Pumpkin"
and have that one be very clear...
in that case I must use shot gun against off topic mob , including me :clown:

tnx for idea, I came on same thing after few hours of hard thinkin' :clown:
ps. later you can see revised schmtc ,tested and confirmed.........
diggin' diggin' .........

cutie :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1258092#post1258092
needle point , from :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1255541#post1255541
Papa:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1250383#post1250383
main schm :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1247745#post1247745
reg schm , from
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1259862#post1259862
main pcb , from
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1272914#post1272914

I (modestly) recommend this thread as easy reading before bedtime

OK, I haven't yet said what I'd bring along.
It might not be too interesting , but I'd bring along a Hybrid power amp with tube front end. :D

It has turned out well and I'd like to see where it stands. There might be a couple of tube preamps too ! Not sure about that yet.

Will there be a turntable with MM cartridge and some good vinyl discs ?

See ........ nothing very exotic except that it would have travelled about 12,000 miles and been cryogenically (!) treated in the aircraft hold!
Cheers,
Ashok.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Chad,
I have a Tek AA-501 - not quite as clean or useful as a modern soundcard + spectrum analyzer software.
Don't sell it short! I hear they're pretty good.

I would love to have an HP 3585 spectrum analyzer, or one of the new ones. Real time and I trust them much more. Bandwidth way up there is important these days.

Anyway, I'm not crazy about shipping my gear that far.

Hi Ashok,
See ........ nothing very exotic except that it would have travelled about 12,000 miles and been cryogenically (!) treated in the aircraft hold!
Well, bring a bunch and sell them as a short run of amps from the "custom shop". ;) They would sell!

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.