The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
here is the third elf.

Ah yes the Third Elf, and he is the one supplying our wonderful site, which isn't a hanger , but will require a bit of tuning, The big room will need to be "adjusted " in size. The three of us are working on that now and are confident we will get it to perform.

Give him credit, I was just wringing my hands and bemoaning the shame of not having an event here, when they already have had one now in England, and various times in Canada. Then AR2 stepped up ready to make it happen!! Helps that he has a great place!

And wait 'til you see the lounge! A great hangout to have a refreshment and chat with the members you have argued with for years, or catch a discussion or presentation. See pic below. Don't worry, we'll get rid of the pesky plants so you can belly up to the bar.

The swap meet sounds like a great idea- especially you should bring parts that you have accumulated over the years and know that you will never use..

Also we'll have a Concours D'Elegance: A place to exhibit your craftmanship even if you don't necessarily want to demo it...

More Also, you don't NEED a case on your project to give us a listen. Just bring it.

Also More Also- The dirty secret is that your don't REALLY have to burn up your amp- just let us see it and/or hear it and if it decides to burn up....well that's fine too...

Attachments

• studiointeriors2.jpg
    studiointeriors2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 4,051
The case really helps keep the amp guts together when you sling the thing in the back of the car...

Things I'm thinking of bringing -

1) A kinda - sorta blameless amp clone as a "plain vanilla" reference

2) A zen-ish Class A amp

3) A sand state/vacuum state amp with JFET front end (triode cascoded), 1625 outputs and a switcher supply.

If I get the last two working in time, I'd sure like to try them out with a high sensitivity speaker.

I forgot to ask.
Does one stay elsewhere and come for the meet every day or are there facilities at the meet location ?My impression of the US after my previous visits is that everything is many many miles apart all over the country - possibly less so on the East Coast.

So what all does one have to plan for ?Sorry for the apparently silly questions. It would help to know where the meet is located.
Cheers,
Ashok.

Last edited by a moderator:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ashok and others that this will help:

There will be good refreshments, but hey, one of those dry ice halloween punchbowls-- that sounds like a good idea!!

OK, I realize that we from San Francisco like to go on forever about how we like our city, but a couple of million tourists a year can't be wrong- right?

First, SF is very unusual for a US city. It is only seven by seven miles, and surrounded on three sides by water. For this reason it is very compact and it is easy to get around; by bus, streetcar, cable car, taxi, etc...

The population of people actually living here is about 700,000 so while it is a city- it's a tiny one.. .

The meet is in an industrial area, so there isn't lodging next door, but nothing is very far away.

Hotels generally aren't cheap , but you can look into that online and in guidebooks. Since you brought it up first, you are welcome to stay at my place for the nights of the show if you actually come!!!

The weather here in October is some of the best of the year. While there is a chance of rain, otherwise it is sunny and clear. Summer really isn't as good because of the fog...

There are over 9 million people in the SF Bay Area outside of the city itself, so I suspect most attendees will be driving into the city. This would fit your image of US urban areas being spread out.. By the way: Lots of free parking available at the event site.

For those with friends to stay with in Silicon Valley (Sunnyvale, San Jose, Palo Alto, Cupertino, Mountain View, etc. ) It is about an hour to SF, and there is train service from many of the towns..

One of the things I enjoy most about DIY Audio is its international flavor, so I would love to get a good mix of people from everywhere.. Of course if you are coming a decent distance make sure to stay at least a couple of days extra to see the area. It's quite beautiful....

Variac

Hi Variac ,
Thanks for the invite and I think I'll take it up. I have friends around in the Bay Area but most are too far away to drop me every day. However I could get to your place on day one and stay the nights of the show as you suggested and go back to my friends place after that. Solves the commute problem also very neatly. While I drive here, getting around to driving there is not something I've solved yet ! The Indian driving license was frowned upon for a very long time !

OK , now I'll really have to start working HARD .
Boy , this sounds exciting . I've always travelled on work , this is something else !

Cheers,
Ashok.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think I could find Magura a spot somewhere, with someone, if not at my place. I think the woman in your avatar lives down the street! :bigeyes:
You would have to bring at least one of your outragiously machined components for the show...
You are welcome to leave some big heatsinks here to lighten your return trip!!!

Variac

Last edited:
Variac said:
I think I could find Magura a spot somewhere, with someone, if not at my place. I think the woman in your avatar lives down the street! :bigeyes:

You would have to bring at least one of your outragiously machined components for the show...

You are welcome to leave some big heatsinks here to lighten your return trip!!!

Variac

Well...Mrs. Magura is not gonna be happy to hear that Miss Monroe lives down the street :D
Counting out that little detail, I just might take you up on the offer and drop by...

Magura :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.