The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:)

Attachments

• Nelson BA3.jpg
    Nelson BA3.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 567
This was fun while it lasted (I had some ruder captions in mind), but some more pictures would be nice. I was in and out and around the place, but mostly on the first floor trying out stuff, so I by no means saw everything that was happening on the second floor.

Last edited:
Depends on your viewpoint - I brought 3 amps and a preamp to audition, and a lot of playing happened on the first floor. Having said that, I was really glad to be able to hook my little cube-tube amp up with the Lowthers upstairs, even if only one channel was playing at the time (with field-coil speakers, you have to remember to turn on the field supply - duh).

Next year, I'm determined to cart the whole reproduction chain to BA with me so that there can be a lot more informal auditioning. There were a whole lot of amps this time around, and not so many sources/preamps/speakers.

Check the "Shrine" thread in the tube amp section for a schematic. If you search for "Shrine" in the title and wrenchone as the author using advanced search, you should hit it. The amp evolved from using a triode connected 6AH6 first stage to a triode-cascoded JFET front end. The amp uses a custom-designed SMPS, but it should work ok with a conventional supply, without the compact form factor.

The amp debuted in embryonic form at the first BA, but didn't get a chance to audition then. This BA was its first public performance.

Well, I was wondering if my amp, after months of doing duty in my living room, would choose a hideously public appearance to pitch a fit. So far, during the three year history of BA, there's been very few amps that actually burned.

I don't know what happened at last year's BA, but I smelled the smoke getting out in the main room. But, I never found the source.

P.S. I find the name Burning Amp both amusing and frightening. Probably due to prior experience, I was bench testing an amplifier, looked inside and there was a flame, like on a match head. It turned out that I had high frequency oscillations across a carbon resistor.

Last edited:
Jeb: I was hoping to hear your Russian tube amp on Nelson's BoB's. Perhaps it (or whatever other creation you come up with) will make it upstairs next year.

IIRC, there were only 3 pairs of speakers auditioned.....the scanspeaks, Nelson's OB's, and the NHT mules....I suppose the OB's count for several based on the driver swap-outs.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.