The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Iain McNeill said:
a Raal ribbon to compete with 17Hz subwoofer.:eek:
now that's one showdown I gotta see:D

DSP_geek: can you bring the whale songs as well?

I'll see what I can swing. The songs will be mostly blue whales, which have a lower limit around 10 Hz, so I actually had to high-pass the recordings before playing them at higher volumes lest the cones get launched across the room.

We did some sweeps from 14 Hz to 32 Hz for a system check, and the assistant director of the museum got kind of excited when the track lights started swaying.

Sadly, my subs (2x10cu ft, 2x2245H, down-firing, eq'ed flat to 15Hz) will already be moved out of state by then, otherwise I'd love to try 'em on the whale sounds. My new place is the top floor of a house- I pity the poor shmucks living below me.

I'll have to get Jack to confirm, but I bet I'm the only person with four NHT M3.3s who felt the need to use subwoofers.

Um, folks? Before y'all get TOO excited, the woofers are 2 x 12" with 6 cubit feet each (about 170 litres), nothing like Stuart's or Jack's monstrosities. They did OK in a 500 ft^2 room with a 10 ft ceiling, but they got lost in a larger space. Thank goodness the pictures were in the smaller room -- space assigners please take note.

One note on your fashion appearance, particularly for people outside of Bay area:

We hope to have a good weather, but with Sausalito you never know. We could have two really warm days which will produce very cold and windy third day because of the fog. It is quite possible to have 40 - 50 degrees in Sausalito and just 3 miles away 70 - 80 degrees. Morning could start foggy, wet and cold and during the day to have burning sun, and again at evening cold and windy.

So be prepared and dress in layers. Do not even think to be without a warm jacket, but you might need T shirt as well. I hope this helps you.

:hot:

I picked up some nice woofers and a few other items from Nelson Pass @ yhe last show. I'll be bringing these in to "recycle" at the cost I paid = next to nuttin'. (Thanks Nelson!)

It seems that since I updated my home system to '1.6 Maggies, I don't have too much use for these, so ... Whatever they bring will be "Donated to the Cause" = Burning Amp 2009 ;)

We will have a few card tables set up for this I trust ...

(I always keep a jacket and an umbrella in my car for San Francisco weather oddities. This show is right smack under the Golden Gate Bridge, so weather is almost always "brisk" to fair to middlin'. Mark Twain attributed this to others: "The coldest winter I ever spent was one summer in San Francisco.")

Note to all talented photographers and cinematographers:

I would be very happy to publish your work on BA web site after the show. To make your life easy I have FTP site where you will be able to upload if that is convenient to you. If not, snail mail and CD or DVD works fine as well. Please email me and I will send you instructions for ether case (FTP or address)

It is worth mentioning that my provider's server is sensitive to some naming issues. So do not use commas, weird signs like - $ % # @... and no spaces in your naming of the files - typical UNIX issues. That way would be much easier and faster for me to post your work.

Thanks,

AR2

FastEddy said:

It seems that since I updated my home system to '1.6 Maggies, I don't have too much use for these, so ... Whatever they bring will be "Donated to the Cause" = Burning Amp 2009 ;)

We will have a few card tables set up for this I trust ...

That's a terrific idea. I have a fair bit of stuff (including some new-in-box RS150s and Hypex modules) that I'd like to turn into cash for BAF. How difficult would it be to set up some tables where people could drop off stuff they want to donate to the cause? It'd save a lot of running around for buyer and seller because you'd need only one volunteer manning the table at any time.

While we are talking about donations, here is the short summary and my suggestion on your idea:

I have been informed by several people that will bring goodies to donate. As we know Nelson is bringing his truck again, Scott Wurcer have some goodies as well, Jack Hidley will have speakers, RAAL will be donating a pair of RAAL tweeters... than many other people will have a different stuff. For that we are thinking of issuing double numbered tickets and to have "lottery"at various times.

In addition to that a few people asked me about selling some stuff and we are fine with that. There will be a few tables for that. So than we could have some additional tables that are for donations selling and we could have a sign indicating that sale is dedicated for BAF2009.
We certainly do appreciate that. I suggest that people that offered their help for the show could do that. If there are several people available, than no one will miss much and they will still have a chance to enjoy the show.

Here is also idea for all exhibitors. It will be great if you could have printed signs for your equipment with short description what it is or what are the main interesting points and with your name. That way everyone could easily see what is it and who made it. Last year we had a lots of equipment just sitting there but many people didn't know what it is.

So if you would like to do some selling for the cose, see me at the show. Thank you all for such a great help, and big thanks to donators.

Hello,
Variac and myself visited the site today and the weather was great, Here is one self descriptive picture for your easier orientation.

Attachments

• instructionsbaf.jpg
    instructionsbaf.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 406
Here is the first draft of the schedule.

And here is how it's going to work:

We have three spaces: Upper room, lower room and shop. Upper room is where we are going to have listening demonstrations and where we are going to keep the schedule.

In the lower room we will have 3 areas where people can set up systems to audition also. They we will rotate between the three systems and swap in different components

That is also the area where everyone could gather around the tables and ask the owner on construction details, or any other questions. There is no schedule for the lower room, and it is based on everyones cooperation in terms of who plays what and when.

For the upper room people with heavy speakers or very heavy amps should bring them right there. Everyone else should bring their equipment in the lower room. Smaller speakers should go to lower room as well.

In upper room we are going to have three time blocks -
1. speakers, 2. DACs and preamps, and 3. amps. When the group that you are participating in is scheduled you should bring your stuff in the upper room for the listening session.

Shop area will be reserved for two presentations, snacks, raffle and auction. Also anyone selling their stuff should set up there. It is a great place to get a snack and talk to other fanatics about DIY or anything else..

Here is the excel doc. that have it listed. Like I said this is a first draft and it needs to be confirmed. I am sure we will need to make some adjustments as we get closer to the event date. We will also try to place some names based on your registration listing of equipment.

Attachments

• baf schedule.xls.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 61
AR2 said:
Here is the first draft of the schedule.

[....]
Here is the excel doc. that have it listed. Like I said this is a first draft and it needs to be confirmed. I am sure we will need to make some adjustments as we get closer to the event date. We will also try to place some names based on your registration listing of equipment.

Not everyone can open Excel docs. Might it be possible to generate a more general alternate form? Thanks.

I also would like to mention that by now we are reaching our limit in how many systems we could guarantee that we will be able to audition. Our experience from last year is that majority of people just showed up for the show without registering.

This year we have much higher number of registered people. Based on that and information provided in your registrations, we have built the schedule that allows time for everyone to audition in the upper room and to audition/exhibit in the lower room. Best listening conditions for larger and more powerful components should be in the upper room.

There are still going to be unregistered people just like last year, but we cannot guarantee that we will be able to audition their gear in the upper room. Obviously this all depends on how detailed and exact you were in your registrations, since that is the only thing we could use to build the schedule. Everyone that brings things unannounced should be able to get an audition in the lower room though.

Of course we are always happy to see more guests, and guests without equipmentr to demo are always welcome also. This is a great way to learn for those that are considering DIY.

Hi AR2,

Saw the schedule you have posted. Did you forget a lunch break or am I missing something. Also a break sometime in the afternoon around 3-4 PM might be nice for a coffee.

I have a DIY Millett Hybrid Headphone amp that I have little use for, maybe it can serve better as a BAF donation. It works well though.

Regards,
Dinesh

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
a few comments:

We chose October because of the weather, in addition to AES being in town, etc. It is common here to see tourists shivering in summer wear in June with the winds and fog. Generally the weather is the best here in October, as there is little fog so more sun but every now and again there is a grey day and we want you to be prepared in case.

We don't have time for a scheduled lunch- you will just have to miss an audition or two... Now that we are offering demos, presentations, prizes , etc. you will unfortunately have to choose what to do at a given moment. . As we had last year there will be free snacks in the Shop - this time sponsored by Elector Magazine: Bagels in the morning with cream cheese and lox, crackers chips cheeses, salsa for snacking. This is a great place to chat with new and old friends.

The yacht club has a bar with beer and mixed drinks as well as burgers and sandwiches adjacent to the upper room. We hope to have sausages grilled outside adjacent to the lower room and shop. Our sausages will be a lot cheaper than their sandwiches..

Variac said:
a few comments:

The yacht club has a bar with beer and mixed drinks as well as burgers and sandwiches adjacent to the upper room and we hope to have sausages grilled outside adjacent to the lower room and shop. Our sausages will be a lot cheaper than their sandwiches..

Would the club mind if I brought some wine? I have a few spare bottles lying around.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Our Presenters will be:

Siegfried Linkwitz who will speak, then demo his Pluto speakers.

Jan Didden who will discuss the crisis of compression in modern recordings and demonstrate the effects.

Stuart Yanager who will discuss proper methods of double blind testing. Yes, it can be done!

Pretty impressive, No?

Mark
Variac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.