The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
speaking of brewers ... check out: http://www.lagunitas.com/contactus/index.html

... at the brewery >> http://www.lagunitas.com/brewery/tour.html

... and they support events: http://www.lagunitas.com/420/index.html :smash:

They started out just like most serious beer drinkers: DIY Beer! and DIY promotions: " ... Brewed in a bizarre old world tradition ... Dogtown Pale Ale: No dogs are harmed in our brewing process. ... Think Globally, Drink Locally ... Beer Speaks, People Mumble ..."

Anyway, if the Burning Amp event is outdoors and looks like a winner, they will show up with a truck full ...

I stoppped for a quick visit to Halted Specialities and Anchor here in the valley. Tons of cool stuff for pretty cheap.

Here's a pic of a couple of rows of their audio books in stock.

-David

Attachments

• halted-books.jpg
    halted-books.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 298
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Great News!!!

Today we confirmed that we will be using the Presidio Yacht Club for the event on Oct 19th , Sunday. The building is at Ft. Baker, directly beside the North tower of the Golden Gate bridge on the right (East) It is on the water, isolated, with lots of parking, has a bar with 4 beers on tap, and a kitchen. We have it from 8AM to 9PM. The show will be from 10-8. We will have 3 rooms. They are smaller than the big Firehouse room, but will allow a lot more equipment to be demonstrated and appreciated without turning it up to 11.

If the weather is as great as last year (very, very common in October- the fall in SF is warmer than summer as there is little fog) we can have an outdoor BBQ as they have one available right on the docks.

The building still maintains our preferred non-corporate ambiance (ie isn't "slick") but the view might be the best in San Francisco- The GG bridge North Tower is 1/4 mile away so you get the dramatic bridge overhead, and the entire city of SF sprawled across the bay...

Vladimir will get the website going in a few weeks and when he does I recommend that people pay up and get advance tickets as last years success should about double turnout and we might have to limit attendance at some point..

Mark

"Today we confirmed that we will be using the Presidio Yacht Club for the event on Oct 19th , Sunday. ..."

Wonderful! I know the place well: Beautiful view of the Bay and right under the Golden Gate Bridge ... I am a member of another club, but have been there many times = a great bunch of folks. Couples, mostly, ages range from just out of the military to old geezers like me. The wife and I will bring the boat and maybe we can get some sailing done as well ... :D

maps.google.com = "94965" (the Sausalito zip code) ... then ~a mile south and ~two miles east to the waters edge ... expand that and it is the building to the east of the complex, north of the marina boat parking with the pier and dock = 37.834022 North / 122.474535 West ...

From the Golden Gate Bridge headed North on 101 = take the first Sausalito Exit, then down and around the curves until you see the First right (Ft. Baker Road / East Road) = a tight one-eighty, so slow down = then follow the asphalt into the Park, keeping to the water side (not into the tunnel(s)) ... and the Club offers lots of parking on that dirt area just east of the club house. :smash:

nice!

I missed last years event :(
in part, because my daughter was only 5 months old :)

this time I think I can sneak away for a bit. Sausalito should be very nice indeed.

--
RE surplus stores (bay area/silicon valley): I just finally discovered Anchor. Great place! They seem to be geared quite a bit to SMT and keeping a normal, good stock of standard stuff. I guess you could just say they are actually organized... Halted (HSC) is still the best place for good, random, surplus stuff. Though Anchor seems to have plenty of good parts. I'll be back there tomorrow in fact ;)

Parts counters in general are just disappearing.
R&D electronics, and Quement are both gone, gone, gone. Schaad Electronics shut down this past year. As a colleague of mine stated - these used to be part of "the heart and soul of Silicon Valley" - and now they're disappearing...

Weird Stuff is fun, but they really are computer oriented, not so much general electronics. Surplus computer is good for PC's and such too, but I haven't checked them out since they moved.

I asked Halted about their plans to move, and it appears they are not.

The big sign Halted had out front announcing the move is gone. It was part of a stare down with the landlord for renewing their lease.

I bought my first preamp case from Weird Stuff for $5 bucks. It was esentially a Par-metal 20 with an LED in front and a power cord socket and switch in the back.

I was happy.

Don't forget ACE components on Old Oakland road. Tons of semiconductors, knobs, and heatsinks.
http://www.acecomponents.com/

-David

OK guys,

Here we are again!

Our annual Burning Amp gathering is right around the summer corner. The new space is great, we love it very much. It is certainly with the character. It is more casual than the Fire House last year, but it is closer to the water and deep into nature surrounding the Golden Gate Bridge. Park your yacht and walk into the event!

We had our annual suffering in finding the space. I have to say we have set the high standard last year, which makes the more demanding task for the next event. Variac did it, and all credit goes to him in finding the space. We realized last year that outdoor event erea was fully used and appreciated. The sun and ocean made it even more special. This time there is even more of it, if that is even possible. It is great for the people with kids and for the better halfs. We were very considerate of you computer geeks :D coming from the Silicon Valley. We knew that would be very hard to drive somewhere further than City. In this case it would be even easier for you. Just take 19th av. and cross the bridge. No driving through the city streets.

Parking is abundant. Have kids? Your wife could take them to the Discovery Museum http://www.baykidsmuseum.org/home/ - we share the same parking lot.

Coming out of town, and do not know where to stay, or would like to treat your better half for the weekend - check Cavallo Point Lodge, it is right behind us. Put your robes after massage and just walk into the Burning Amp.
http://www.cavallopoint.com/

Enough advertising here are the pictures!

A view from the deck

Attachments

• 1a7w5935amp-progress.jpg
    1a7w5935amp-progress.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 217
dw8083 -
That's news to me about Halted - I was there as recently as Saturday, and they were still singing the moving song then. Weird Stuff is an occasional favorite of mine for stuff just like the case you described, as well as other strange odds and ends that slip by the all-digital crowd. I usually go right to the back room and do my shopping there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.