The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here's another great reason to come to Burning Amp:

A message from Brian Donegan of Twisted Pear about a demo DAC they are going to send us:

I am ordering cases today from ParMetal. The DAC will include USB and S/PDIF inputs, a Dual Mono DAC, filtered and unfiltered balanced and single-ended outputs.

Sounds like we can use it with about any system. :eek: I'll bet older CD players will be improved immeasurably with a modern external DAC.

Not to mention my interest: Computer based USB dac....

Things are starting to snowball. Sent in your registration fees. If we get enough, we can possibly extend the hours....

Variac

Should I bring speakers?

Hi,

I am planning on attending (with my wife if I can convince her). I have a couple of sets of speakers I can bring, though the larger pair will require someone local to Santa Cruz help me out lifting...

Anyway, I have a pair of Duetta Signatures I can bring for amp builders that want to test their low impedance 'drive', plus at the other end of the scale, my party speakers: a pair of the Adire he10's in very nasty looking homemade plywood cabs, and he8's in unfinished mdf cabs.

Stuart

Hello Stuart,

We are looking forward to see you and your wife at Burning Amp in October. We definitely could use a pair of good passive speakers as we will have a lot of active speakers. With active speakers it is hard to test amps.

I would appreciate very much if you visit our site:

http://www.burningamp.com/

and go to registration page. There you will find my email address where you could send me your info which I need to post on the site and to register you. That way we could do a proper planning and timing.

Peace
AR2

Re: Should I bring speakers?

Stuart Easson said:
Hi,

I am planning on attending (with my wife if I can convince her). I have a couple of sets of speakers I can bring, though the larger pair will require someone local to Santa Cruz help me out lifting...

Anyway, I have a pair of Duetta Signatures I can bring for amp builders that want to test their low impedance 'drive', plus at the other end of the scale, my party speakers: a pair of the Adire he10's in very nasty looking homemade plywood cabs, and he8's in unfinished mdf cabs.

Stuart

Hmmmmmm. How linear is the impedance with respect to frequency? I might have some cables which can answer a part of that problem.

As far as local to Santa Cruz, if I can get my things built in time we can talk, as I'll need to rent a SUV or something to carry them SF-wards anyway.

We have image page updated with images that I received from you guys so far.
Check it out: www.burningamp.com

This is already shaping to such a beautiful global event. We will have guests from: India, Netherlands, Denmark, Canada, Serbia...

While I am loading web with info received from you guys, half way across the globe Jan Didden is matching that info and planning a timetable so we do not waste time during the event. Thank you Jan, this is such a great help.

I just got confirmation from Choky - Zen Moderator that he will have ready his Pumpkin preamp for the worldwide premier! Coming from Serbia.

As you read in Variac's email there will be another world premier - USB DAC from Twisted Pear!

Also as we speak there is a PA system that is being constructed and assembled that uses RAAL ribbons! We are confirmed that we will have an opportunity to listen to that unique system.

Now, we didn''t speak about special prizes - awards that are going to be awarded for the following titles (we are still deciding on titles, but so far this is what we have):

Most Beautiful
Best Workmanship
Most Outrageous

Magura is bringing and donating from Danmark, 4 pairs of custom made aluminum (volume, selector) knobs. Thank you Magura very much!

Nelson Pass will be donating couple of toroidal transformers, set of machined knobs and pair of heatsinks. Mr. Pass thank you very much for the support.

Lastly I would like to thank all of you that are sending donations and admission payments over paypal - it is greatly appreciated.

We didn't mention it previously, but when we changed the venue we were faced with rental fee in the amount of $ 1,000.00 for the day. Three of us - Variac, SY and myself decided to go for it and to finance this event, hoping to recover this expense through addmission tickets.

So, a lot is going on and we are D day minus 29!

Stay well
AR2

Hey, I'm going to try to be there!

Is anybody interested in my bringing my Modula MT speakers (Dayton RS180 with Seas 27tbfcg and elliptic crossover by Jon Marsh) with a non-DIY non-modded Panasonic SA-XR55 receiver? It could be kind of a "low end reference" to compare the more exotic things to. I'd also really be interested to hear it in a side-by-side comparison to see how this low-dollar arrangement really stacks up!

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I just finished my $100/ Pair (!) BIB speakers, which sound amazing, so there will be a healthy representation at the show of cheap ways to get audiophile sound. I tend to be interested in inexpensive and easy to build stuff that allows easy entry into our world OR the high end attempts that shoot for the moon!!:bigeyes:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sure Russ,

Of course the people actually coming to the show will hear them.. :devilr:

I'm sure you are aware of the BIB speakers. Here is a brief reference to mine in the first part of this post. Check out the photos in the post and the next:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1305756#post1305756
The rest of the post is about a different speaker I might make...

Now here is the heart of the issue- the Pioneer B20FU20-51FW
driver. Nelson calls it the BUFU but I now call it the BOFU as it fits the model number better. A very nice, really exceptionally pleasant driver, good imaging, great tone, needs a small tweeter. Really exceptional for the money . Amazing bass in the BIB cabinet. An 8" driver is actually considered a bit on the large side for a BIB. Best of all- less that $22 from Parts Express if you get a friend to get a pair too...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-045

Cabinet info:
http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-pioneer.asp

Then here is Mr. Changs tweeter preference (I am using a different tweeter,but have ordered this tweeter also, and even another. Both types were only around $5 ea. at Parts Express.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1292214#post1292214
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=275-025

here is the other PE tweeter that is highly regarded.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=275-030

The one I have is pretty darned good , but with the great bass output I think I could use a bit more treble, and thus a more efficient tweeter.We made it from OSB- Flakeboard. $16/sheet- took three sheets.. That's why they are $100/pr... OSB looks cool though. we are thinking of a color dye stain-maybe orange or yellow with a clear finish...

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK you guys,

I hate to nag, but we are now putting together the schedule for the event.

IF YOU PAY NOW YOU ARE GUARANTEED AN AUDITION OF YOUR COMPONENT IN A PARTICULAR LISTNING SESSION.

That way you can be there, which will be handy in order to actually demo your equipment.

Otherwise you might be shunted to a later session at the end.

SO if you are bringing equipment (thank you!) you REALLY should pay up now!!

Go to Burningamp.com and paypal your registration.

Also, if we get enough , we can extend the listening sessions so that you can play more tracks to really allow people to understand what the pieces can do.

I think I'll keep the gear I'm bringing out of the beauty contest, but it ought to sound good. I'm rushing to finish a preamp designed specifically to drive the Pass F4 in balanced mode.

Given the NHT garage sale and their kind offer to measure drivers bought from them, I'd bring a large car or van. If you haven't seen a Klippel or AP in use before, be prepared to go home and kick your Speaker Workshop...

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This event is, if nothing else, an enormous motivator! Lots of people are scrambling to complete that eternal project (me no different).

First module for the EC amp tests out quite well.

Jan Didden

Attachments

• pax module.jpg
    pax module.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 344
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.