Trends TA10.1 cutting out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys

i know this is most probably common sense but im just wanting to know the nature of this AMp, i have a pair of high efficieny Klipsch speakers at 97Db. i can push the Trends to do quite loud, but then it cuts out, I then pause the CD, i hear a slight sucking sound from the speaker, like a low level bump, and then its like its fine to go again. The amp works fine again, but i turn it donw somewhat. would this be a protection circuit in the trends, or maybe the speakers??

i have a NVa Pre amp, linked up to the trends, bypassing the volume button, ina power amp config.

Any help appreciated:)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sounds like the chip is getting too hot, or maybe over current protection.

I have a Fenice20 board (same chip) that does the same thing. It's the only one of many that does it, but it does it all the time.

Maybe some chips have a lower threshold?

Do you have a heat sink on it?

Hi panomaniac

Well, i was thinking about that, i havent got a heatsink on it, could i superglue one to the chip? what do you recommend?

I think i get lulled into cranking it up louder, but it sounds so good, your forget its a little TA2024 chip

Thanks for the info

:)

I have just this morning taken delivery of a Trends 10.1. I have configured it as a Power Amp and it is "cooking" at the moment.

I was surprised not see a heat sink on the chip.

I have modified 3 Sonic impacts and fitted heatsinks to all of those. I think I might have one left.

Panomaniac (I think) put us on to some heatsinks from a chinese guy (LUK?) in the U.S that were self adhesive (mine were blue in colour).

If mine does the same as yours emperor then I will fit the 'sink.

Hi Puffin, this is the same Puffin from Hifichoice i take it?

Well, last time we spoke i was going to make a Fostex horn. but in the end, caved in and bought some Klipsch speakers from germany RB-81, large bookshelf. They sound excellent, are high efficiency at 97db. And make the Trends shine. the Trends is a fine amp, but i think by putting the heatsink on, it will help it to cop just a tad, (am hoping). I still might be getting one of those Autocostriuire T100 ,amp boards, and make my own power Amp.

The Trends is excellent, i dont know if it will be better than your supermodded SI though Puff:)

Yes, it is I of Hi Fi Choice fame or something !

My horns have not locked battle with the Trends yet and it is running just a little warm after about 5 hours continuous use.

As the Tripath 2024 chip is phase inverting I started with the speaker connections reversed as with my modded S.Is. However nothing can be taken for granted and having connected them as Trends intended,the thing is very impressive indeed. They say that the 2024 takes about 100 hours to come on song. It sounds very good do far.

If you're interested have a look at my review of the modded S.I on this link http://www.affordableaudio.org/aa2007-04.pdf and look for April's mag.

Great Review Mike!!....and so true.

The Trends and the Klipsch speakers have totally beaten anything ive ever owned. Not that i have owned much more than £1100 Alphason speakers. And also an Audiolab triamped setup. the Trends/Ah Njoe tjoeb/Klipsch combination has opened up drama, depth ,soundstage, musicality on a massive scale. So much so, i would say the difference of the Audiolab to this T Amp, is the Audiolab sounds clinically dead, lifeless.

I personally didnt have the room for the fostex horn, and was also encouraged to buy the Klipsch speakers (RB-81), from a freind. Im so glad i did. Im also grinning when i, listen to music now, before i never felt satisfied. Ive found my sound, after 20 bloody years.:D

I also have a Rega planar 3, but with the Goldring G1022GX (upgrading the stylus to the G1042), when it arrives at superfi in a few days.
I do hope to get the upgrade kit for that, and also after aquriring my BK Subwoofer, that will be the lot, for upgrades. I will spend on vinyl and CD's for a change.

Did i mention i had an NVA P50 Preamp, with the Trends as a power amp?. Needs a lot of Gain, but sounds excellent.

emperor. I'll forgive you calling me Mike ! It's great to hear that so many are getting great results for so little money. I would tend to agree that the Audiolab's sound lifeless in comparison to the Tripath based amps.

So far as subwoofers go, I picked up a 200W plate amp (they all seem to be made by B.K even if they are called something else) at a recent audiojumble and fitted it in place of the 50W amp on my GLL sub. It now sounds so much better (and it was good before !) The best thing is having variable phase control, not simply an in or out of phase switch. Makes integration so much easier. If your clever with the phase switch you can improve the treble response without affecting the level of bass !

Incidentally my mate has an early REL sub, who made the amp.......B.K of course.

You waited 20 years, mine was 40 !!!! Off to get my free bus pass now.

Regards

Rob.

I felt I ought to correct myself a little. I started on diyaudio at the age of 11 by cutting up a record player to put the speaker in a separate box. Of course it sounded sooo much better !

In fact my quest for the ultimate sound started in about 1990 when the children were old enough for me to get the turntable down from the top of the wall unit, so that I did not have to stand on a chair to play an album !

So in fact your quest has been longer than mine !

Keep in touch.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
emperor said:
im looking at a 12 volt battery on Ebay, and not sure whats best to get:

That one will work. You should get 6 to 10 hours run time - maybe more.
Find a small charger for SLA batteries, you don't need a big one.

DO NOT turn the amp on with the battery charger connected. Many of these chargers can output 15V while charging - some even use pulsed AC to rejuvinate the cells. Your Tripath chip would not like that.

The best thing to do is rig up a toggle switch for CHARGE/OFF/ON. Or justdiconnnect the battery from of the amp when charging.

hello all and hello emperor , im gigi from italy , i have a trends ta with battery and klipsch rb81 and also a nva ap10 integ amp ,
i would like to know if theres a big difference between trends with and without nva p50 pre passive , because i would lilke to try too
thanks in advance
bye!
Gigi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.