Trends TA10.1 cutting out - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2007, 04:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Trends TA10.1 cutting out

Hi guys

i know this is most probably common sense but im just wanting to know the nature of this AMp, i have a pair of high efficieny Klipsch speakers at 97Db. i can push the Trends to do quite loud, but then it cuts out, I then pause the CD, i hear a slight sucking sound from the speaker, like a low level bump, and then its like its fine to go again. The amp works fine again, but i turn it donw somewhat. would this be a protection circuit in the trends, or maybe the speakers??

i have a NVa Pre amp, linked up to the trends, bypassing the volume button, ina power amp config.

Any help appreciated
Old 6th April 2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Sounds like the chip is getting too hot, or maybe over current protection.

I have a Fenice20 board (same chip) that does the same thing. It's the only one of many that does it, but it does it all the time.

Maybe some chips have a lower threshold?

Do you have a heat sink on it?
Old 6th April 2007, 08:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi panomaniac

Well, i was thinking about that, i havent got a heatsink on it, could i superglue one to the chip? what do you recommend?

I think i get lulled into cranking it up louder, but it sounds so good, your forget its a little TA2024 chip

Thanks for the info

Old 7th April 2007, 09:45 AM   #4
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

This is one of the rare cases in which super glue actually works.

It will hold the heatsink in place and does a good job of conducting heat. Give it a try.
Old 7th April 2007, 10:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Last night i stumbled across some of these...Click the image to open in full size.

hopefully they might help a little, dont suppose i can stack them ?

2 at a time
Old 7th April 2007, 10:59 AM   #6
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have just this morning taken delivery of a Trends 10.1. I have configured it as a Power Amp and it is "cooking" at the moment.

I was surprised not see a heat sink on the chip.

I have modified 3 Sonic impacts and fitted heatsinks to all of those. I think I might have one left.

Panomaniac (I think) put us on to some heatsinks from a chinese guy (LUK?) in the U.S that were self adhesive (mine were blue in colour).

If mine does the same as yours emperor then I will fit the 'sink.
Old 7th April 2007, 11:57 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Puffin, this is the same Puffin from Hifichoice i take it?

Well, last time we spoke i was going to make a Fostex horn. but in the end, caved in and bought some Klipsch speakers from germany RB-81, large bookshelf. They sound excellent, are high efficiency at 97db. And make the Trends shine. the Trends is a fine amp, but i think by putting the heatsink on, it will help it to cop just a tad, (am hoping). I still might be getting one of those Autocostriuire T100 ,amp boards, and make my own power Amp.

The Trends is excellent, i dont know if it will be better than your supermodded SI though Puff
Old 7th April 2007, 06:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes, it is I of Hi Fi Choice fame or something !

My horns have not locked battle with the Trends yet and it is running just a little warm after about 5 hours continuous use.

As the Tripath 2024 chip is phase inverting I started with the speaker connections reversed as with my modded S.Is. However nothing can be taken for granted and having connected them as Trends intended,the thing is very impressive indeed. They say that the 2024 takes about 100 hours to come on song. It sounds very good do far.

If you're interested have a look at my review of the modded S.I on this link http://www.affordableaudio.org/aa2007-04.pdf and look for April's mag.
Old 7th April 2007, 07:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

emperor. Sorry, try this

http://www.affordableaudio.org/
Old 7th April 2007, 11:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Great Review Mike!!....and so true.

The Trends and the Klipsch speakers have totally beaten anything ive ever owned. Not that i have owned much more than 1100 Alphason speakers. And also an Audiolab triamped setup. the Trends/Ah Njoe tjoeb/Klipsch combination has opened up drama, depth ,soundstage, musicality on a massive scale. So much so, i would say the difference of the Audiolab to this T Amp, is the Audiolab sounds clinically dead, lifeless.

I personally didnt have the room for the fostex horn, and was also encouraged to buy the Klipsch speakers (RB-81), from a freind. Im so glad i did. Im also grinning when i, listen to music now, before i never felt satisfied. Ive found my sound, after 20 bloody years.

I also have a Rega planar 3, but with the Goldring G1022GX (upgrading the stylus to the G1042), when it arrives at superfi in a few days.
I do hope to get the upgrade kit for that, and also after aquriring my BK Subwoofer, that will be the lot, for upgrades. I will spend on vinyl and CD's for a change.

Did i mention i had an NVA P50 Preamp, with the Trends as a power amp?. Needs a lot of Gain, but sounds excellent.

Hide this!Advertise here!