Big Tripath power fun on ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah it sucks, I really wanted to buy these.:(

My next option won't look half as nice and will cost more. I'm thinking about just buying 3 of the new Truepath boards from 41hz.com......

Truepath x3 = $300
Basic par-metal case x3 = >$180
500VA torroid x3 = >$240
Other misc power supply parts and connectors = >$100

Total = >$820 + Labor :bigeyes:

theAnonymous1 said:
Yeah it sucks, I really wanted to buy these.:(

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss them just because one guy had two break. Maybe he was constantly driving huge speakers at high power. Or maybe he had other system problems or bad power.

Plus, the repair cost would not be very high even if they did break (at most the cost of a Tripath chip + the cost of replacing and/or redesigning whatever broke the chip). No surface mount parts, and the Tripath chip is socketed. Repair parts and labor cost plus amp cost would likely be less than the initial cost of the Truepath rigs.

Of course, maybe the Truepath would sound better? And may be more rewarding since you'd do it yourself.

jon_010101 said:

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss them just because one guy had two break. Maybe he was constantly driving huge speakers at high power. Or maybe he had other system problems or bad power.

Plus, the repair cost would not be very high even if they did break (at most the cost of a Tripath chip + the cost of replacing and/or redesigning whatever broke the chip). No surface mount parts, and the Tripath chip is socketed. Repair parts and labor cost plus amp cost would likely be less than the initial cost of the Truepath rigs.

Of course, maybe the Truepath would sound better? And may be more rewarding since you'd do it yourself.

I would have taken that guys comments with a grain of salt if it wasn't for Petey saying he gets no output from his. He still hasn't responded and said if he fixed the problem or not.

As far as replacing the TA104 chip if it dies; I wouldn't even know where to find a replacement, and I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap.

My DIY "rewards" have been far and few between lately. I just killed the two motorola DCP-501 tripath boards I was modding. A single simple mistake threw those plans out the window.

I know I could build the Truepath boards without any problems, but It's not something I would look forward to doing at this point.

Man, I don't know... I really want these. I think I have 7 days until the invoice expires. I'll just think about it a little longer.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Anonymous1 -> dude, what happened to you DCP's? Let me know what the mistake was, as I have yet to dig into mine...put it off again...still have two DCPs left, one modded per your instructions and one totally stock. Sold my third to DecibeL in Canada...

And I hit my audio nirvana, a nice UCD400AD in a Hexateq case. The chassis is beautiful. A bit expensive, but as my Ultimate final amp? Who cares... take a look at these chassis...currently re-boxing my UCDs into it...

http://www.hexateq-av.com/large_images/mono_enclosure1.jpg

No more Par metal or Hammond enclosures for me...

The Trupaths are the same as the DCP's, except DCP has 5 channels of the TA3020's. Get another DCP....no?

Hey John,

I made a stupid mistake with the 5v supply. It blew and sent 8v into the boards. Sparks and smoke started coming out of the IC's and mosfets. Not a pretty sight.

Also, be very careful of the inputs. I managed to send one of the IC's into oscillation and start to smoke the output zobel resistor. I pulled the plug before any real damage was done.

So yeah, I'm done with that project.:smash:

Truepath is just the name of a new amp board at 41hz.com.

I wish I could afford 6 UCD400AD and all the goodies needed to build a complete amp with them. Even the $779.97 for these Audiosource amps would be more than I should be spending ATM.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Anonymous1 -> You took the 5V from the power supply board, right? We talked of that a while back..tie the three 5V to the 5V on the PS board to pull up the unit.

What happened with the input problem? Were you bridging (inverting) them?

You had one working the for quite a while time all on its own...

Look at it this way - it was only $69 for the DCP, and not $690...I know that doesn't make you feel any better...

I had chopped the supply up and modded some stuff. I should have just left it alone.:whazzat:

The problem I had with the input came from trying to use two different sources on one board for bi-amping. It didn't like that for some reason.:confused:

I'm actually glad I blew them BEFORE I bought any cases for them. Heh, I was even going to buy two SPS80 switching supplies to power them.

I've built three AMP1-B's and and about a half dozen AMP3's/AMP32's all of which worked no problem, but at this point I just want to buy a ready made product. I don't want another DCP situation.

A few days after I receicved my nonworking 7T I emailed the seller in Washinton stating the problem and they proptly emailed me back saying that they would immediatly send a replacement unit plus a return Fedex shipping label for the bad one.

Let's see what happens.

Pete

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Anonymous1 -> my plan was to segregate, rehouse, and run the DCP with 5 separate inputs to 5 channels (well, 4 for biamp)...so it doesn't look like this is possible? Well crap. Theres little incentive to rehouse the 5 channel amp if I can really only use two of the 5 channels at any given time...

Don't know why it wouldn't work...any advice before I blow mine?

jeffrae said:
What if that TriPath Chip takes a ****?

Do they have a replacement chip that replaces the obsolete one? (If this one is obsolete do they have a pin for pin replacement?)

Here's a Link to a TA0105 replacement. It does claim to be pin compatible, and that it can be used in place of the TA0104 with a few minor modifications. 66 euro, not too bad really.

Of course, if the chip ever did fail, I'd certainly wonder what the cause would be.

Putting a RA-0105 in the AMP7T would require a bunch of modding. The minimum rail voltage of the RA-0105 is +-82.5v.:hot:

I'm giving myself till the end of today to decide on this, then I'm deleting the invoice for no further temptation.

Oh, and I emailed two other people who bought these and they both said they can hear hum coming from the transformer like amt did.

With three of these things powered on I could just imagine the hum fest I would have to live with.

Mine is completely silent. After reading your post, I thought maybe my room was too noisy, but after moving to a silent room, I can't hear any hum from the transformer even putting my ears right up to it. The seller sells a 3 year plan for $30. Maybe you can talk him into a discount for all 3. If you can budget it and can't find something similar in the same pricerange, then it may work out for you.

Included in the box is the Amp Seven "T" amplifier, Power Cord, One Set of RCA stereo interconnect cables, Owners Manual and AudioSources Limited 2 Year Warranty. We have a limited stock of these so don't miss out on this deal!

Hmmmmmm.....

Would Phoenix Gold actually go through with a warranty if we ran into an issue?

Also..

Why did you decide to put meters on these? Not many manufacurers put meters on their amps anymore..

Jeff

Hey guys

How do you think this amp would do driving an 8-ohm bass array with 92db sensitivity? The amp would need to be able to go down to 15hz or so.

The bass arrays occupy the rear portion of the Zu Definition Pro speakers (www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zu9/definitionpro.html) I'm buying. I'd really like to use a low power tripath setup for the front drivers (like a Trends) and a high powered tripath solution for the bass array. Tripath + Tripath!!

Just not sure how good this amp would be for REALLY deep bass.

Thanks for any input, guys!

-Jim

I currently have an AudioSource Amp 3.. It is about 10 years old and powers my Dahlquist DQ-20's beautifully.

I have actually been looking for another one of these because I would like to run them mono..

I am going to be getting a Pair of Bose 901 VIs from a family member.. They just bought it because of the bose name. They don't like they way they sound with their sony allinone jobby...

I hear that the 901s really thrive if you have a lot of head room for the equalized bass that those 4.5 drivers need to reproduce bass..

I know a lot of people bash bose and I am curious to see what they are capable off.. please don't flame me..

I saw these tripath amps and though hmmm.. might be interesting..

I wonder if the reliability is on par with my AMP 3?

Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.