|Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion|
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.
Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|19th March 2007, 08:05 PM||#1|
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Reston, Virginia (surburb of Wash, DC)
TA-10.1 vs Modified SI
I have a modified SI that has the following mods:
1 .Replaced the VR with the RS Alps.
2. Added a a toggle switch for power off/on.
3. Replaced the 330 electrolytic tank capacitor with a 1K MFD Panasonic FC electrolytic.
4. Replaced speaker Jacks with binding post. Kept cap across outputs.
6. Removed resistors r01/r02.
7. Bridged Capacitors C3/C4.
8. Stealthed Auricap 2.2 MFD input caps.
9. Added 1K MFD 25 Volt Nichicon cap at chip power supplies
10. Added 10K MFD 75V (CG) with .01 MFD teflon bypass on power rails (reservior cap).
11. Powered by 3 ampere adjustable 13.2 volt power supply.
This particular amp sounds really good and I have been listening to it off and on over the past 3 months. The last mod I did was the Teflon Cap bypass, which really made drums sound life like. The ambience of the rooms of live recordings is transcendental.
By contrast, I switched in a stock TA-10.1 and the highs sound etched. The TA-10.1 is fatiguing to listen to for any length of time compared to the SI. The Bass for the TA-10.1 is full, but a little flabby. I attribute this to the lack of the extra resevior capacitance. There seems to be a lot less air around cymbals and the drum kit sounds a little muffled. Surprisingly the TA-10.1 has a deeper soundstage.
Could the overall sonic texture be attributable to the Auricaps?
Should I undertake applying a Mardis Ultra Tweak kit it to the TA-10.1?
I plan to switch out the power supplies to see if the linear PS is comparable to the SMPS.
Any recommendations as to where to start on the TA-10.1 would be appreciated.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|IC: Looking to get my T-Amp modified||cmirza||Swap Meet||0||29th May 2006 07:19 AM|
|ME2 modified||MJS||Multi-Way||7||20th October 2005 04:41 PM|
|modified mid-fi?||amo||Multi-Way||0||10th June 2003 02:21 AM|
|Can This Amp Be Modified???????||OMNIFEX||Solid State||4||11th April 2003 03:37 AM|
|Modified ESP 3A amp.||Freddie||Solid State||1||26th June 2002 06:04 PM|
|New To Site?||Need Help?|