Winsome Labs Amp - Any Info?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
EdT said:
I found it abit on the expensive side compared to offerings from AutoDigit and Trends and the looks aren't stunning at all !

These are whole different things. Trends is a TA2024, like SI T-Amp, whil Audiotigit one is a TA4100, simplified amp optimized for 4 ch. TC2000/TP2050 is another category, more complex and much better sounding.

Winsome one is a bit expensive as kit, but not so much the assembled one.

I built the kit version and took it to the last meeting of the Lone Star Bottleheads in Houston Texas. It was well received and amazed a few non-believers with its ability to drive different speakers and all with great detail, especially in the upper end.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm headed to another Lone Star Bottlehead meet just north of Dallas Texas tomorrow. I'll take the Winsome Mouse amp again and see how the Dallas Audio Society take to it. I'll post a few pics afterwards and their impressions.

How sensitive is the input of this amp? I'm using a trends-ta 10 at the moment but find that my modified squeezebox ( 1v output) does not have enough drive... In what form does the kit come? Some nice Oil caps and a Pec carbon pot would be nice :D

So this might be a nice option instead of making my system more complicated by adding a tubed pre-amp.

Also does anyone know wether the charlize is good without a pre?

Thanks

Robert

1V to the Winsome amp should be plenty for full output. The input resistors are thru-hole Dale metal film so you could easily increase the gain if needed. Oil caps would be a tough squeeze physically, you need 2 microfarads minimum to avoid bass rolloff. It can be ordered with ALPS blue velvet pot or Panasonic EVJ, input caps are Illinois MWR or Solen/Bennic.

thank you,

I'm currently using a trends ta-10, does anyone know if this amp will be better ? the trends is based on the t2024 chip... I don't need extra power , my hawthorne SI's only need 2 wpc ( in my 12 by 12ft room probably 1wpc)

So it's mostly 1st watt perfomance I am looking for:)

Robert

I have 96dB Fostex Fe206E. I've a TA2024 and some other more powerful based on TA2022, TA0102A and TK2350, from 30 to 100W.

If you take a look to 41hz forum, many people start with small AMP3 or AMP6 (similar to TA2024), then many go to AMP4 (TK2050) or AMP5 (TA2022) and always they report a better sound with these more powerful chips. Many have high efficiency speakers.

I'm back from the meet in Plano (just north of Dallas) and have a few pics for you. First up is the Winsome Labs Mouse amp pushing some ART arrays. In this setup, the amp volume control was turned all the way up and used as a straight power amp. The volume was controled via a passive Goldpoint attenuator in the box behind the amp.

Here is another picture showing guys had to get close and check out the little amp with the big sound. Everyone commented on it's nice midrange and detailed top end.

Dsc_0427.jpg

I purchased one of these amps about 4 weeks ago and this amp sounds fantastic. I currently have 2 trends 10.1, 2 Charlize units, and a modified SI and this amp is head and shoulders above those units. I'm using a Morrison ELAD Pre, Bel Canto DacII, and a HAG USB hooked up to my computer in my office.

The midrange clairity is almost eerie. It is also nice to have the extra headroom that this amp has over the ones listed above.

I have also compared it to a few Solid state amps I have laying around the house. I felt is was better than these amps (Monarchy SM70, Hafler 9300, Audio Alchemy om150, and a Acurus A200). While all these amps are mid-fi they are pretty decent amps.

I definitely would recommend others to try it out.

Joel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.