Amp Enclosures in the UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I'm going to build a Hypex based 5 channel amp, but am struggling to find any decent enclosures in the UK.

Best current offering seems to be either from Italy (though I don't seem to be able to register on the site) and from NZ.

I'm not looking for ultra cheap but neither do I want to pay through the nose.

Thanks

I

I tried searchin the Farnell site, but actually found it very difficult to navigate around. I tried chassis and enclosure but got hundreds of hits.

Thinking about it a little more though, I wonder about buying a cheap ventilated 2U case just to get going and the amp built, then if it all works ( I'm a newbie) then i can pursude "she who must be obeyed" javascript:smilie(':D') Big Grin that it's worth spending more on a decent case. Then again as the case isn't on view (only the front would be) all I need then buy is a pretty front, perhaps in brushed aluminium.

I'm buying the trans from Farnell in any case so I can save on carriage.

thanks guys

iwf said:
I tried searchin the Farnell site, but actually found it very difficult to navigate around. I tried chassis and enclosure but got hundreds of hits.

Thinking about it a little more though, I wonder about buying a cheap ventilated 2U case just to get going and the amp built, then if it all works ( I'm a newbie) then i can pursude "she who must be obeyed" javascript:smilie(':D') Big Grin that it's worth spending more on a decent case. Then again as the case isn't on view (only the front would be) all I need then buy is a pretty front, perhaps in brushed aluminium.

I'm buying the trans from Farnell in any case so I can save on carriage.

thanks guys

You totally want to spend a few hours searching round on Farnell's site if you're already buying something from them, because you'll save yourself trouble if you go back and have to meet their £20 order limit, and maybe something on postage.

The site is a bit weird sometimes because they have so much on there, some of it ends up in the wrong classifications or the same item gets repeated twice, has its photo missing, details missing and so forth. But on the whole, they do a good job of maintaining a massive database.

There are tons and tons of enclosures on there. Lots of the extruded aluminium kind the US guys on here use quite often. They even sell it cut to length and with accessories, like end plates.

From what I remember of trying to find rackmount enclosures, they can be quite expensive. Also, 'rackmount' audio gear enclosures are often just an enclosure with a slightly bigger faceplate; they'll be missing mounting holes in the faceplate for example, so they're not really meant to be rack mounted. The actual enclosure of true rackmount stuff (the bit that's hidden when its mounted in place) isn't so pretty; e.g. chromate coating, loads of holes and stamping all over it....

I think Hammonds Mfg in the US, the same guys who do transformers, sell one or two rackmount enclosures. If you contact them, they'll probably have a UK distributor.

Also, there's a site somewhere on the net that'll do custom, one off faceplates for you. From memory, they laZer blast them out of stainless and will even swipe silk screening on for you. They're probably in the US too, but at least the postage on a faceplate won't be too bad.

Thanks guys

As I was buying a transformer from Farnells it seemed logical to get the enclosure from them too.

In the end I chose cheap and simple with ventilated base and top. cost me around £50 delivered. This will do to start, though I recognise i've some drilling to do. Thankfully i'll be better at that than i will the amp side of things ':) I need to find some aluminum to act as heat sink for the amp but I thought I'd find that locally and affix it to the base.

I looked very closely at these but really wanted one of these .

The project is intended to replace 4 Cyrus power amps, and assuming I can improve on them, selling them will leave enough £ for a decent case.

If I stick with the Farnell rack unit. i'll spray the case itself then try and find a better front.

Ian:)

I'm going to build an enclosure using a CAD/CAM system, given that it can do pretty much anything within reason has anyone got any opinions on what would be nice. I have two 180AD based monoblocks (160VA Transformer-Softstart-HG power supply-180AD)?

I was thinking about making a single enclosure which accomodated monoblocks stacked upon each other, which then could extend to as many channels as required, with a passive preamp at the top. Something fairly novel would be cool and it can use pretty much any material.

Hi

How's the girlfriend?

I ordered my bits from Hypex and am eagerly awaiting them.

my long term needs are slightly different from yours, in that i'm wanting to build a 5 channel amp. Stuck with a lack of interesting products in the UK I'm looking seriously at Hifi2000 and their range of slim line cases.

I need something big enough for a couple of 500va transformers probably 2 or 3 HG PS and 5 180s.

I also liked the ones from Hexateq. if you can make one like that then I'll give you your first order (I'll even help promote it for a decent discount:D )

Ian

Ian

How did you get on with your five channel amp ? I'm wanting to do exactly the same thing and have gone through an almost identical process, the Hexateq cases are delicious but I fear too pricey for me..

My speciality is the actual enclosure design and aesthetics, I'm going to have to get a lot of help to actually develop the internals.

I'm devoid of any electronic expertise, about as far as I go is when I electrocuted myself with my dads old record player on my 8th birthday, so I think I'll stay well clear of anything with a current.

Interested in how you were going. I'm hoping to generate some 3d visuals of my ideas soon, though I'm thinking retro.

The case isn't the only problem, I want to get a matching DVD player [using the guts of an existing one] so I'd be interested in suppliers of machined buttons for the controls on a DVD or some well matched knobs , switches and buttons.

Ad

Hello,

I am planning my first kit build to make 2 UcD400HG monoblocks to drive my current ravenous B&Ws.

I was looking at the case options also. The hexateq cases are stunning aren't they but like you I cannot justify the price (to her indoors) at this time.

So while browsing through the Class D gallery on here today I found http://www.hifi2000.it.
Their Galaxy range looks very similar to Musical Fidelity V3 X range.
Nice 10mm front panels & aluminuim lids also (could reduce eddy currents produced by steel)

Not in the UK I know but their prices look very reasonable & shipping costs look low also.

Their on-line shop is at http://www.modushop.biz.

If you buy from them perhaps you could let me know how you found their quality of product & service?

Michael

I've heard mixed reports on the HIFi 2000 stuff but I will definately look into it.

I'm thinking more of going with DIY ENCLOSURES the chassis and fascia are excellent quality, he answers all my questions quickly and he's even will ing to send the panels from his chassis to Front Panel Express so I can get them machined.

Below is the amp based on his chassis and matching DVD player I've rendered.

Attachments

• chassisleft.jpg
    chassisleft.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 523
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.