Another class-D amp,2x50 watts!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
marginwalker said:
do you know where to buy this amp?
The Yu-Long amp is available at DIYKITS for $100USD. I actually think it looks very nice. The $100 spent I think is spent well in a mean power supply and lovely case.

[edit: just a couple notes about this amp. I'd connect the chassis to ground and make sure the IC is soldered to the PCB for heatsinking. The pics on DIYkits don't show this being soldered well, and the ground on the IEC plug is clearly not connected to anything.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
theAnonymous1 said:
Doing so could cause more harm then good, i.e. groundloops.

It doesn't hurt.

I have a couple of these YuLong amps. Great name, eh? ;)

It's a pretty good amp, solid build, plenty of room. It has a simple linear supply - transfo, bridge, cap, transistor+zener regulator. Volume contol is the same pot as in the Super-T, and SW-3.

The amp sounds good, as it's the TA2024 chip. It responds well to modification. Larger power caps make a big difference. Using a bigger value cap after the rectifier cleaned up a lot of AC noise that was getting thru the regulator. Bigger tank caps near the chip also killed some cross talk and noise as well as adding the typical benefits to bass and dynamics. The stock tank caps are not very good.

Input caps are OK, but I put in Jantzens. They have to stand on end to fit.

The major problem I found was with the output filter. It leaves more RFI in the speaker cables than any T-Amp I've seen. It will really kill any FM reception near by. Does not seem to hurt the audio.

I've tried a lot of things, but can't get rid of that bad RFI. Maybe its the filter caps.

I did replace the linear supply with an SMPS. Worked well. Plent of room once the toroid transformer is removed.

A solid little amp that's easy to mod.

theAnonymous1 said:
Why would you want it to be? Doing so could cause more harm then good, i.e. groundloops.
How so? Earth ground doesn't connect to any point in the circuit, so where's the loop? Connecting it to the chassis would prevent from any fault (hot wire shorting to chassis) from killing you.

All my amps have the chassis connected to earth ground, and I've never had any problem with doing so. I also have a Zhaolu DAC which came to me without the ground connected, and I had no problems grounding the chassis on that unit either.

DcibeL said:

How so? Earth ground doesn't connect to any point in the circuit, so where's the loop? Connecting it to the chassis would prevent from any fault (hot wire shorting to chassis) from killing you.

All my amps have the chassis connected to earth ground, and I've never had any problem with doing so. I also have a Zhaolu DAC which came to me without the ground connected, and I had no problems grounding the chassis on that unit either.

I said could cause more harm then good. I don't have one of these amps so I haven't the first clue if any of the other components connect to the chassis or not. If not, then by all means go ahead and connect the IEC earth to chassis.

Ground loops in the mains ground can be a real problem. I just helped someone who had a hum issue from connecting their PC to a T-amp. They were using a line lump switching supply that had the mains ground connected to the output ground(most do). I told him the break off the ground prong on the IEC cord and his problems would be solved. He did, and they were.;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.