Step down (240v - 110v) transformer for KingRex T10 amplfier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2007, 12:09 PM   #1
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Step down (240v - 110v) transformer for KingRex T10 amplfier

Hi everyone!

I've just been sent a sample of the new TA2020 based KingRex T-amp, and very nice it is to. Nicely screwed together, and surprisingly weighty for it's size.

Unfortunately the KingRex PSU sent to me is the 110v/60hz version

Now, I have a Talema transformer with the following specs:

Primary 230V / 50-60Hz

Red/Black secondaries - 55v / 4,5A
Yellow/Orange secondaries - 55v / 4,5A

Can I wire together the yellow/black for 0v, and the orange/red for 110v, and feed this into the 110v (Taiwan) KingRex PSU? In theory this would seem to work, but I'm not sure about the Hz side of things. I'm assuming my 'step down' transformer would output 110V, but it would be at 50hz, which wouldn't work with the KingRex's PSU? The torroidal transformer inside the PSU case is clearly marked 60Hz...

Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

- John

P.S. Even with a bog standard 12v 4amp power supply for a monitor this thing sounds pretty impressive already. Nice weight and scale and all the detail we've come to expect from the TA2020 chip. Looking forward to seeing what it's capable of with the proper PSU.
Old 10th February 2007, 12:20 PM   #2
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
There is so little diffrence in Hz (10) so there is no problem, yes connect secondary like you said, take volt meter and see if there is 110V. If there is you can connect it to your amp, but I would get one for 230V because it is silly to have that kind of amp and trafo wich is outside of case, but that is my opinion.
Old 10th February 2007, 12:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Luka - thank you for your reply. Well if you're sure this is fine I will give it a go.

Agreed it would be best to have the proper PSU, but this will take another week or so to arrive, and I'm keen to hear what the T10 is capable of over this weekend.

Cheers,

- John
Old 10th February 2007, 12:34 PM   #4
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
Hi

Then you do plan to replace it for the right one...

Well as for voltage and Hz go if you put is amp what they ask for(110Vac) there is no problem if you use outside trafo just unpractical.

Just don't see how you will bring 110 to the amp.
Old 10th February 2007, 01:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

P.S. Is it quite normal for larger potted torroidal transformer to make little tick... tick noises while in use? I guess you don't hear this when inside a case, but on a marble chopping board (always do this incase of any sparks or flames if something is wrong) it's a little disconcerting.

Everything measures Ok.

- J

P.S. In the first post I meant link together yellow and black wires, with orange and red for the AC connections to amp.
Old 10th February 2007, 01:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Where did you get that amp? I want one !
Old 10th February 2007, 01:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I wrote off to them
Old 10th February 2007, 01:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

OK, excuse me for going off -topic,

But the binding post, they only accept banana plugs? , This might be a good alternative for Charlize... The PSU is no problem, i've got one of the skyneyt 8080 modules ... Should start using it sometime with my trends
Old 10th February 2007, 01:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I use the Skynet 8080 as well, with a 20,000k stiffener cap with an Amp6 Basic. Sounds pretty good.

Yes the amp only accepts banana plugs, and - as far as I am aware - the KingRex comes with a simple plug-in walwart affair. The PSU is an extra option. So you'll be fine with the 8080.

Thanks for your help Luka - the amp's PSU is working fine with the step-down transformer Frighteneing levels of bass control now! Wow!

- John
Old 10th February 2007, 06:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

P.S. Forget about what I said about the step down transformer ticking - turned out to be something else entirely

One thing I have noticed though, and not sure if it's cause for concern or not, but the torroidal 110v/60Hz transformer inside the KingRex PSU gets very hot in use.

Is this sort of thing normal, or is it because I'm stepping down from a 240v 50hz mains supply to a 110V 60Hz transformer?

Thanks,

- John

Hide this!Advertise here!