call me embarassed! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2007, 12:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Default call me embarassed!

I don't know where else to post this OK so I have been reading about this and using the words slavishly but I haven't got a clue what I'm actually saying! To the point: I have a Tripath-based amp (the Trends) and I know of some other examples like Vinnie's. So do we call these all chips amps or T-amps? What about those based on "Ice" and other types, like Nuforce, Red dragon, Flying Moth, Bel Canto, etc. are they Digital amps, switching amps or what? I don't dare ask (yes I do)... would anyone care to put the named brands into their proper nomenclature, give a brief discription of the different technologies and maybe rank them as to how they compare sonically? Maybe this could be a perminent sticky for fools like me who pretend to know and are afraid to ask. It would be a good reference guide
(he said hopefully)
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 01:04 PM   #2
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member
phn's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
You call Tripath (TM) T-amp, just as you call a computer by Apple a Mac. All other switching-mode amps are "D-amps." I wouldn't call a switching-mode amp a chip amp even though it uses a chip.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 09:56 PM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator
Pano's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SW Florida
Blog Entries: 4
Yes, normally "chip amp" refers to Class-AB amps on a chip. They've been around for years. Some are quite good.

Although many of the Class-D (switching) amps are on a chip, too - we don't use the term for them. Because the Class-AB boys got there first!

T-Amp is a term that has grown up recently to describe Tripath based amps - whoever makes them.

Maybe D-AMP could be used to describe all switching amps. Just another term for Class-D. T-AMP would be a subset of that.
Take the Speaker Voltage Test!
planet10 needs your help: Let's help Ruth and Dave
  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what do you call this stuff. neutron7 Everything Else 4 8th August 2007 09:16 PM
I don't even know what to call this- Conrad Hoffman Everything Else 16 24th June 2007 04:11 PM
What would your call this box? Good Idea? electricashman Subwoofers 1 17th June 2005 02:19 AM
Call me stupid, but..... LNeilB2 Multi-Way 7 28th January 2003 05:55 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:25 AM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2