Best Sounding Power Supply for D-class amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure what u mean by application: It's a small system in a bedroom, two mini-monitors (Seas based), digital source, and the AMP.

Was wondering if someone has compared different types of PSU, that are readily available to / easily built by a DIYer.

I understand that if done right/perfect/ideal, there is no difference.

thanks, Thomas

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Did you get the AMP6 Basic? Because if you got the regular AMP6, it has a power supply onnoard. Just supply AC. Works great. It's a simple regulated linear supply.

You sould use something similar for the Basic, or a good SMPS. Extra filtering always seems to help.

I just finished building my amp6 basic, and initially used a 1.8A 13V SMPS.

I just changed to a desktop 13.8V 3A continuous (5A peak) lab-style PSU (traditional linear type) and this has resulted in a far cleaner sounding amplifier with more warmth.

FYI, I have a 330uF black gate standard on the amp6 pcb (rather than the 1500uF panasonic recommended) and a further bank of five 470uF 35V sikorel 125 caps.

I'll avoid smps from now on, as it doesn't sound as nice as the bigger linear supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.