What wire to wind toroidal core inductors? (41hz Amp4)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

Further to my thread on what cores to use on the toroidal output inductors of my amp4 kit, I realised I now need to decide what wire to wind them with.

Now, I am using Metglas (Anamorphous) Cores, whom supplied them with the recommendation I needed 13 turns of 1.2mm wire on each to make them ideal for my requirements. I thought getting the wire would be quite straightforward- a simple piece of standard copper wire.

However, I didn’t realise how much division there was over which material is best, and hadn’t even begun to consider insulation.

While some successful amps have used copper (such as the Red Wine Audio Signature 30), some people have expressed the view that silver is a sonically favourable material. As one person put it:

“The difference between copper and silver wire is far greater the then numbers would suggest. In fact, I doubt that the difference would be very noticeable if it were only the conductivity. Silver has an entirely different sound that is particularly noticeable in the higher registers and in the overall detail and soundstaging. The use of silver is what Audionote Japan famous. Hand drawing silver takes things a step further because, unlike machine made silver wire and ribbon, The successive drawing of the material through progressively smaller dies creates a material the is essentially a monocrystal.”

On the other hand, some have pointed out that Silver is harder to handle, which as a result, means it is harder to wind both tightly, and evenly, around the core, factors which could have a greater impact on the result (apparently).

Additionally, silver costs significantly more, and some people have stated it could sound ‘brighter’, which might be an issue for me, considering Tripath amps are supposed to sound bright anyway, and my Monitor Audio BR2s are a tad on the bright side too.

As for insulation, whereas Teflon is common and cheap, natural materials are said to make a more natural sound. However I am undecided as to whether this is true.

Electrum Audio, who I go to to find many good audio bits cheap, have 1.2mm hand drawn .999% silver insulated with cotton that has been permeated with beeswax for $6.00 per foot with an additional $2.00 per foot cryogenic treatment option. However, unfortunately there is a 10 foot minimum order.

Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks,
Peter

Peteruk said:

Fair enough. Any suggestions for sources?

Just to check - when winding the inductors, the wire used must have at least some kind of insulation, correct?

I.E. Bare wire cannot be used.

Magnet wire is common and should be available from many suppliers of things electrical.

Insulation of magnet wire is often 'Polythermaleze' which can be stripped with heat, or polyurethane which must be scraped or sanded off before soldering.

Here is a useful table for comparing AWG and diameter in mm.
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Is it possible to use litz or parrareled (smaller) magnet wire for classD output inductor?

I see examples of commercial classD product, they tend to use only 1 wire (with big diameter) for output inductor. The switching frequency can be 300-500khz, the skin effect will be dominant.

But why those products only uses 1 big wire instead of some smaller parrareled wires?

lumanauw said:
Is it possible to use litz or parrareled (smaller) magnet wire for classD output inductor?

Why those products only uses 1 big wire instead of some smaller parrareled wires?

While I'm no expert myself, but as one Audio Pro told me:

"Why use Litz Wire on the inductors?
Litz wire is normally use in RF to carry high frequncies better than conventional wire (it's very flexible, too).

But the reason the inductors are in the output circuit is to REDUCE/REMOVE the RF. So you want to send the signal thru a low pass filter to remove the RF, but use Litz wire to increase the high frequency transmission? Doesn't make sense to me."

:)

15uh is used on the amp4 and amp11, but the rest use 10 or 11uh.

I brought up litz wire because it would be much easier to wind by hand. I do not know how litz wire would affect the sound of the amp.

As far as I know litz wire conducts current at high frequencys better then a similar amount of solid wire. An ideal inductor has no resistance so I'd guess it would at least raise the efficiency of the inductor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.