before I buy a red wine signature 30...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I own a Signature 30; of all the solid state amps I have heard and owned, this one connects with the music to the extent that the others are pretty much left behind. Even as a new amp and therefore green chip, there was little disconnect in refinement between that and my much loved 45SE amp. Most owners report similar observations; a very triode vibe, no tubes, no heat.

I also own a Charlize, and Amp3, the Amp3 is optimized and uses vintage Sprague coupling caps, very very nice, but nowhere near the sonic refinement of the Signature 30. This is one ready-made amp worth sporting for. With a NON OS DAC, all day listening.

Ang said:
I was wondering if anyone has compared the amps from audiodigit, 41Hz etc to this. Is it possible to get better sound via DIY for less? I'm looking for at least 20 watts. Thanks.

Tripath chipset used in Signature 30 is the TK2050, the same used in 41hz AMP4 and AMP11. This chipset is newer and better than other mid-power Tripath chips: 0.007% THD+N @ 30W 8Ω.

Signature 30 uses some expensive PIO caps and a battery PS with Tripath reference design board. 41Hz has his own board design, usually better than Tripath RB, but supplies kits with "non exotic" components.

Signature 30 is not expensive if you consider overall components quality, but if you like to have fun experimenting caps and output filters, you get a quality closer to your tastes.

johnm said:
According to that article the Signature 30 uses the TK2051 chip, which - I believe - was the precursor to the TK2050.
- John

Yes you're right. Though the two chips are very similar:

Quote from Tripath TK2050 datasheet:
"The performance of the TK2050 is similar to the TK2051, but the TP2050 driver used in the TK2050 is a thermally enhanced PSOP package, which provides for a more effective and flexible heatremoval solution."

Sonic performance would be the same.

I have an Autocostruire 2020 amp, i.e 20 watts per channel. However I prefer a modded Sonic Impact (5 watts per channel) It is simply in a different league ! Use it with some full range back-loaded horns and the result is stupendous. S.I Don't do bass, ....Yeah right. The ceiling nearly falls down at 1 watt.

I have never heard the Red Wine equipment but to my eye it looks quite "stylish".
If you are even thinking about diy then why spend all that money (sorry Vinnie).
I finally put my two 41Hz amp 5 kits into a chassis and bridged each amp module.
Sounds great to my ears. A bit more than 20W though;)

I was actually going to go dual mono and have another power transformer but I am happy as is ........for now:D

Thats the beauty of diy, you can do whatever you want with it without worrrying.

Attachments

• dscf0070.jpg
    dscf0070.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 420
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.