mini boom box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

I was thinking of building an iPod hifi that would fit into my backpack using two 4" car coaxial drivers and a sonic T amp which is more than capable of driving them at their native 4ohm. Are there any pointers and anything I should take into consideration when making such a device? I say boombox, but I don't really want too much boom, just something cheaper and a bit better than the solutions offered today.

Hoo boy, are you gonna learn a lot!

I've been working on my boombox for over a year. Starting to sound pretty good. Mostly cosmetic stuff to go.

You ask a huge question. Study up on the threads related to SI Mods and others. Here's my topline:

1. Do the mods, especially the C10 and stiffener cap upgrade, and new better input caps, if you want some bass.

2. Make it a great speaker cabinet. Rigid, correctly sized, ports well-tuned. In a small box, you may do better with a small inexpensive full-range driver such as the 3" HiVi. Study plans for cabinets built around these and similar (full-range forum) as a starting point.

3. Deal with the power supply issue. Elsewhere on this forum recently has been some good descriptions of using surplus lithium computer batteries to power these amps. Lead-acid are reliable, but HEAVY.

4. Consider a line level circuit (baffle step compensator) to get a more balanced sound out of the small speakers. I just built a simple but effective one by Paul Joppa on www.t-linespeakers.org. If you breadboard it you can adjust the parts values to your particular speakers.

Here's what mine looked like a few months ago before I cleaned up some of the metal work.

--Buckapound

Attachments

• boom1lmr.jpg
    boom1lmr.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,294
Nothing yet. I'll post to Panomaniac's TriPath gallery when I get new pictures. Here's the gist of it:

- 2 SI boards, fully modified, new caps, inductors, etc. (one for outboard speakers)
- CSS FR125s 4" drivers. Man, do these sound great! (TangBand Bamboos shown in pic, but since replaced)
- Three ports: front and each side (not done on poster pic)
- 7 AH SLA battery, computerized charger/maintainer
- 13.2v LED monitor supply
- Line level baffle step filter for more bass/reduced mids (adjustable bass boost)
- Box made of 1cm thick fiberglas/carbon fiber/nomex aerospace honeycomb panels
- Decorative outer shell of carbon fiber
- Hand-fabricated stainless hardware (bottom, corners, handle, etc.)
- Custom-turned knobs, flared port, adjustable feet w/butyl inserts)
- Built in 5v USB power supp. (to charge iPod)
- Blue LED inside front port
- Weight, approx 30 lbs/18kg!

--Buckapound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.