53v limit due to caps ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i seem to remember reading somewhere that the reason the ucd180 was limited to 53v rails was because the output caps were rated for 53v and that substituting higher rated caps would allow higher rails voltages.

is this true ?

i have a killer unregulated psu at +/-54vdc that i would like to use but i am afraid the amps will just shutdown.

thanks.

anyone willing to give me a --go ahead--

for hooking-up the +/-54vdc ?

i know when i tried using some mismatched va rated xformers to make a ct xformer the voltage difference was enough that the amps would just shut down.

is the protection circuitry robust enough to shrug-off the +/-54vdc attempt ?

psu in use right now is runing +/-38vdc@1.2kva.

is htis close enough to the max +/-45vdc that i wouldnt notive a difference running the +/-54vdc ?

i think eventually i will end-up with the either the ucd400 or ucd700 as i am running 16ohm speakers.

thanks for all the help.

I reckon that +/- 54V will trip the over volt protection on a UcD180.

If you're currently using +/-38V, then the max. power into a 16R load is going to be about 45W. Up that to 45V, and the max power is going to be about 63W. (Those are no loss figures, so slighlty less in reality).

To increase the max SPL out by 3dB, you would have to double the power from 45 to 90W, so 45 to 63 is only going to increase by 1 -2 dB. Probably not worth the effort, IMHO.

Now changing the load to 4R...... that would be a different story! :)

trying to get the load to 4ohm is kinda

what started this whole thing about a 16ohm load.

even though 8ohm and 4ohm are delivering more power the sound is no where near as good as when the system is 16ohm.

checkout the info about the zero autoformers and try it yourself.

didnt take me very long to decide that 16ohm sounded the best even though the nominal impedance for the drivers is rated @8ohm.

hope you try it and report back.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.