The End For Tripath??? Say It Ain't So!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just scooped up the download folder... 75 MB of pdfs...

dave

Could you upload it and send the download link?

I just realized that there were a company named Tripath and it's demise... feel so bad because it was really good company and so enraged because the lose of these innovators, the patents and IP stands, but their creativity it's on other projects. I want to see and conserve some part of it's history.

Tripath sold for so little, Cirrus probably bought the IP rights just in case they might ever have some use for it (and to keep others from using it).

They haven't done anything with it yet that I know of. Who knows if they ever will.

Since someone dragged this thread up from the dead, I had a look at some recent posts. The above is from a 2010 dated post.

Cirrus does make a few amplifier chips; at least one seems to use a Tripath-style class-d configuration (below from Cirrus' datasheet for the 3511):
" ...
Performance Measurements of the CS3511
The CS3511 operates by generating a high-frequency switching signal based on the audio input. This signal is sent through a low-pass filter (external to the CS3511 amplifier) that recovers an amplified version of the audio input. The frequency of the switching pattern is spread spectrum and typically varies between 100 kHz and 1.0 MHz, which is well above the 10 Hz – 20 kHz audio band.
..."

EDIT: after further investigation, it seems that is word-for-word identical to the Tripath datasheet for the TA-2020 evaluation board:
" ...
Performing Measurements on the EB-TA2020
The TA2020 operates by generating a high frequency switching signal based on the audio input. This signal is sent through a low-pass filter that recovers an amplified version of the audio input. The frequency of the switching pattern is spread spectrum in nature and typically varies between 100kHz and 1MHz, which is well above the 20Hz – 20kHz audio band.
..."

The CL datasheet also gives the following, which is very close to the measured performance of a TA2020:

Key: I've listed as -differential/single ended- input where they differ:
THD+N 1% 8ohms 7.6W
THD+N 1% 6ohms 9.5W
THD+N 1W 8phms 0.019%
THD+N 5W 8ohms 0.025% differential/ 0.027% single ended
Channel Separation 1W 1Khz 104dB differential/ 102dB single ended
S/N grounded inputs unweighted 96dB
S/N grounded inputs weighted 99dB
Efficiency at rated power 10% THD 8ohms 86%
IHF intermodulation distortion 19/20Khz 1.1 @ 1W 0.2%

Note that it is not perfectly identical as far as I can tell, voltage requirements seem a bit lower and a balanced input ("differential input") is available. The above is very similar to the Sonic Impact "Super T" which is one of the few T-amps where we have actual, audiophile quality measurements to go on, thanks to a review in Stereophile and testing by John Atkinson.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I just realized that there were a company named Tripath and it's demise... feel so bad because it was really good company and so enraged because the lose of these innovators, the patents and IP stands, but their creativity it's on other projects. I want to see and conserve some part of it's history.

Understand, Dr, Trapathi was an awesome electrical engineer, but not so good of a businessman. This is what eventually killed Tripath.

I still believe that Tripath had some very good products and eventually will find its way into Cirrus' lineup...

I gave up on getting my worthless Tripath Shares Certificates...I'm just still amazed that there are so many Tripath products selling on ebay - TA2020, TA2024, etc....where are all these chips coming from four years after going bankrupt?

Last edited:
U
I'm just still amazed that there are so many Tripath products selling on ebay - TA2020, TA2024, etc....where are all these chips coming from four years after going bankrupt?

If you check with IC suppliers you will find there is still a lot of old stock on the market. It also wouldn't surprise me if the IC's were still being produced at the factories Tripath outsourced the manufacturing to.

Understand, Dr, Trapathi was an awesome electrical engineer, but not so good of a businessman. This is what eventually killed Tripath.

Understood... In this wolrd exist to kind of people, those who know how to invent and those who knows how to sell.

Most of my heroes are of the first kind, like Tesla, he died in ruins because he didn't want to do business... he just wanted to do mad science.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.