The End For Tripath??? Say It Ain't So! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2006, 06:08 PM   #1
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Default The End For Tripath??? Say It Ain't So!

It looks like Tripath may be dead...they are looking for a third party to buy their assets/continue thier operations - read link below. Too bad.

These Tripath chips may be collectors items someday should they not find a suitable buyer...

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/061229/20061229005245.html?.v=1

TI/CIRRUS LOGIC/NATIONAL SEMI - WHERE ARE YOU?
Old 30th December 2006, 06:20 PM   #2
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

That sucks big time. Now, I don't say Tripath did everything the way I would like it. The DIY community is a make-do community. There's really nothing made for us.

Tripath was one the few beckons in an otherwise dark and barren industry.
Old 30th December 2006, 07:09 PM   #3
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

As I said before, Dr Tripathi may be a engineering genius, but a not-so-good businessman.

As a stockholder, I got out 1/2 my investment before the stock tanked, but I have quite a bit still...and most likely will be worthless in a few months...Not happy, but I knew it was a gamble.

But then again, memories and lessons are priceless...
Old 30th December 2006, 08:28 PM   #4
fokker is offline fokker  China
diyAudio Member

not a surprise. i thought their products are OK at best. The T-amp thing is just hype that happens to have a large following. but it is still a hype.

there is such a gold rush in class D now that it wouldn't surprise me of most of the "Class D" companies die in the next couple of years once the hype wears out.
Old 30th December 2006, 08:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Default right about now...

might be a Factor...

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....lar&id=903643&
Attached Images
File Type: jpg home2.jpg (7.2 KB, 3864 views)
Old 30th December 2006, 08:41 PM   #6
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by fokker
not a surprise. i thought their products are OK at best. The T-amp thing is just hype that happens to have a large following. but it is still a hype.

there is such a gold rush in class D now that it wouldn't surprise me of most of the "Class D" companies die in the next couple of years once the hype wears out.
It WAS hyped. The fact that it has lasted this long and gathered such a following indicates that it's a little more than just hype at this point. The price/performance was (still is I suppose) through the roof compared to most every other amp out there.

Tripath stuff has been around for a while before the little Sonic Impact amp was brought to the market. Like john said, it is unfortunate that Dr. T doesn't seem to be a very good businessman.
Old 30th December 2006, 08:59 PM   #7
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I certainly agree with Brian. Hyped they were, but not without reason.

The Tripath chips offer a LOT of listening pleasure for the money. I don't care for the stock Sonic Impact at all, but modded, or better yet, built into a good amp, these chips sound wonderful. Too many people with good ears and experience like them for it to have been just a fad.

Quote:
Dr Tripathi may be a engineering genius - but a not-so-good businessman.
Yes, sort of reminds me of James B. Lansing.

The chips will fall where they may. There will certainly be a shake out in the Class-D gold rush. But I will have to agree with several old hands in the audio biz who say (privately at least) "with Class-D sounding this good already, what's the point of continuing with Class-AB?"
Old 30th December 2006, 10:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

My opinion is that Tripath chips are still the best in class D.

They reinvented class D with a bunch of patents in years 1999-2004, and made a lot of money:

http://www.tripathpower.com/

The nude truth is that there are lots of class D chips, much cheaper than Tripath ones: who cares if sound is wore?

Counsumer Market wants millions pieces at low price. Quality is a secondary option. Nobody can make money with few dollars chips sold in many thousand dollars high end amps.

P.S.
Profusionplc www.profusionplc.com produces autonomously the best Tripath chip, the TA0105A/TDA2500: its name is RA0105. It will be avalaible in the future because used in PA amps, but it costs 100$.
Old 31st December 2006, 12:57 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: The End For Tripath??? Say It Ain't So!

Quote:
Originally posted by john65b
These Tripath chips may be collectors items someday should they not find a suitable buyer...

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/061229/20061229005245.html?.v=1

TI/CIRRUS LOGIC/NATIONAL SEMI - WHERE ARE YOU?

the interesting things from that filing:

a) they have ran out of liquidity since Aug, and couldn't even pay their auditors;

b) they have tried to sell their assets to 20+ potential buyers for over 5 months, and no buyer yet.

c) all they are asking is somewhere less than $4.7 million for the company! it is amazing that a company that is the heart and soul of "revolutionizing" the multi-billion dollar audio industry cannot sell itself for $4.7 million?

d) if they find a buyer, they will likely file. and if they cannot, the creditors would just liquidate, presummably for pennies on the dollar.

it doesn't sound like the t-amp fans have succedded in saving the company.
Old 31st December 2006, 01:03 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: The End For Tripath??? Say It Ain't So!

Quote:
Originally posted by fokker
c) all they are asking is somewhere less than $4.7 million for the company!
if you go through the math, the principle amoutn of the debenture is actuall $3.5 million. and they mentioned that the debenture holders will likely receive a fraction of that amount from a sale of tripath's assets.

and even at that price, they have trouble finding a buyer.

Hide this!Advertise here!