TDA8920 based amp module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BWRX said:
So... this guy basically copies the reference design (pcb, parts, etc.) straight from the datasheet and is trying to sell them. That's legal, right?

Doh, your right......even down to the last little bit of silkscreen. I had browsed through the data sheet when I first found it, but I didn't scroll down all the way.

Think there's any chance these are reference boards from Phillips?:cannotbe:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
BWRX said:
That's legal, right?

An interesting question.....

Certainly Phillips has a copyright on the design and layout. I doubt you can just take their design and start cloning and selling it. But on the other hand, would they care? They just want to sell chips, right?

The copyright laws may not apply in Thailand. But they would apply to selling here.

As stated above - maybe these are the real thing. Phillips has to have them built somewhere. Not likely they're doing it in the Netherlands. So maybe this guy has a way to get his hands on them straight form the plant. Who knows?

EDIT: Tell you what. I'll try to contact some of the buyers to see what they think of the boards. Will report here.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I did hear back form one of the buyers. He says it is a clone, not the original reference board.

He also says that his did not work when he got it and also: "Some poor choices were made on component sizing and do not fit well on the PCB. For instance, adjacent caps - 1st one fits, 2nd one has to have leads bent a little, 3rd one a lot, 4th one just barely tacked to pads."

Sounds like a "buy at your own risk" thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.