Hypex SMPS - When Is It Coming? Alternatives?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to build a hypex amp with two UCD180's and I've read rumors that Hypex will soon be shipping an SMPS power supply -- does anybody know when this might happen?

Also, are there any products out there right now that will work just as well? Part of me wants to wait for the supply that I know is designed for the modules to "just work", but on the other hand I am getting impatient!

thanks very much!

You can find two SMPS specifically designed for audio at our web, www.coldamp.com.

The first one (SPS80) has been used by a lot of customers so far, some of them with our modules, some with UCD, some with LC Audio and some with linear/tube amps. All of them seem to be very satisfied with its performance and sound, so far. There is a higher voltage output version (SPS80HV) designed for +/-80V output, approx.
The other one (SPS30) is to be available from next week, slightly less powerful but sharing the same design.

All of our supplies have an auxiliary +/-12V regulated output, very useful for powering the driver stage of the BP4078, active preamplifiers, etc.

Both of them work very well with our modules and, judging from the tests from our customers, with our competitors' as well. However, you can find that we offer special prices for packs including supply and coldamp amplifiers.

Load regulation is excellent, dropping around 1V at max output (try to get this with a linear!) and noise is very low, you can see some measurements posted by ackcheng and others. We will try to progressively include more measurements in the datasheets.

Best regards,
Sergio

ssanmor said:
You can find two SMPS specifically designed for audio at our web, www.coldamp.com.

The first one (SPS80) has been used by a lot of customers so far, some of them with our modules, some with UCD, some with LC Audio and some with linear/tube amps. All of them seem to be very satisfied with its performance and sound, so far. There is a higher voltage output version (SPS80HV) designed for +/-80V output, approx.
The other one (SPS30) is to be available from next week, slightly less powerful but sharing the same design.

All of our supplies have an auxiliary +/-12V regulated output, very useful for powering the driver stage of the BP4078, active preamplifiers, etc.

Both of them work very well with our modules and, judging from the tests from our customers, with our competitors' as well. However, you can find that we offer special prices for packs including supply and coldamp amplifiers.

Load regulation is excellent, dropping around 1V at max output (try to get this with a linear!) and noise is very low, you can see some measurements posted by ackcheng and others. We will try to progressively include more measurements in the datasheets.

Best regards,
Sergio

Do either the SPS80 or the SPS30 have DC sensing circuits to monitor the amp outputs like the Hypex linear supplies do?

Thanks!

You will require several supplies to power that: a main supply (I assume around +/-50V to +/-60V, that you could obtain with the supply you proposed, although it is so small that it won't work,
then +/-5V for the input stage, and then +12V referenced to the negative rail for the driver.

You can still use a coldamp PSU, using the aux +/-12V (reducing them with 7805/7905) to get the +/-5V input section voltage, and then generate the +12V referred to GND with a simple circuit from the negative rail (drop us an e-mail to ask, if you are interested).

ssanmor said:
You will require several supplies to power that: a main supply (I assume around +/-50V to +/-60V, that you could obtain with the supply you proposed, although it is so small that it won't work, then +/-5V for the input stage, and then +12V referenced to the negative rail for the driver.

How big should the supply be?

Sorry, I read the datasheet a bit deeper.
It seems to need +/-45V at around 400-500W for full power and 5V for the modulator, the rest is generated internally. (please double check that).
So a SPS30 or SPS80 (for more power margin) could be very suitable, needing only a 7805 regulator to extract the 5V from the +12V aux supply ;)

I'm probably not too interested in using it at full power/volume at any time. Hopefully my understaning is correct in thinking that using it a lower volumes is the same as using less of its power potential.....and this means that it is opperating in the lower distortion range. So - I'm wondering if it is worthwhile going for the bigger supply if I never intend to push the volume up very high?

ssanmor said:
I think it should be OK with the SPS30 then. It will accept current peaks if demanded, only that perhaps you are not going to get the full 500W rms. Please contact us if you are interested (info@coldamp.com), this forum is not for commercial purposes.

Hi ssanmor,

The UCD180’s will not accept more than + and – 48V (+ an – 45V to be on the safe side). But the SPS30 delivers 56V. On what time schedule can you have the SPS30 available for + and – 45V?

Is that a question of a different transformer or is it just a question of adjusting the voltage regulator loop?

Cheers ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.