Audio Precision System 1 users? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2006, 10:01 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Re: AP SYSTEM 1

Quote:
Originally posted by MOER
Dear Jan,

We run 7 of these system 1 Audio precisions and they do not run the fast test, so we just have never bothered. AP do not support these older machines at all. Yes their software has problems but we have found it runs better on Windows 98. The main reason we use Windows 98 is that it treats the parallel port differently to Windows XP. We use the parallel port to run their codes for our automated testing procedures. We have designed special switching boces which take the AP codes from the parallel port and we use them to do all the input and line level switching on multichannel amplifiers. This saves us from having to plug and re-plug cables during test. In addition we use the codes to run relays which switch in the various load impedances for a particular test.

We have tried XP with no luck so all our newer computers which come with XP we convert back to Win98 for this sole purpose.

AP has some wierd ideas on how to treat customers.

We had three of our APs go down and they wanted $1,000 excluding freight each way to repair EACH mochine. I bought one of their service manuals ($250 mind you) and we spent about one day and all three APs were repaired. Total parts cost was less than $3.00.

So unfortunately you just have to live with these old beasts. AP told me that they have no interest in changing their software to accomodate the Win XP parallel port issue.

Stephen Mantz
Zed Audio Copr.,
Los Angeles
Sunny CA
Hi Stephen,

Sorry for the long absence. I also bought their service manuals, paid 350 Dutch Guilders a couple of years back (Abouth 160 US $ at the time).
Haven't needed them yet though (crossing fingers), but I must say they are very complete. That, and the software experiences, show that basically they are a hardware outfit (and pretty good at that).

Do you (or anybody else) have some spare option boards they want to sell? Like the IMD option, MEM option?

Jan Didden

Jan Didden
Old 27th December 2006, 10:18 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SpittinLLama
You're not running AP DOS are you? Describe what you are doing and I will see if I can be of any help. I have an AP 1 system. Use to run AP DOS for years and a couple things are nicer in the DOS version but the AP WIN has too many other goodies. Never did get AP to fix the append bug that crops up in certain graphs They claimed it was fixed in version 2.2 if I remember right (last ver is 2.24) but I was able to reproduce it on 3 difference machines running Win 95, XP and Win 2000 so not fully fixed.

<rant>
For a company that is all about taking graphs their software really sucks when it comes to doing graphs. Poor control, horrible export options, colors not maintained when adding graphs on to others. Lots of complaints I have in this area. Too much like a PC software company.
<end rant>

-SL

Hi SL, Stephen,

I again did their tutorial on the FastTest today. I attach the test file so maybe you could see what happens on your machine. Basically with this test loaded and hitting GO you should see a raw FFT of the spectrum of the test signal (ISO31). It should show a forest of 31 frequencies all at level of about 50mV. This is shown in the tutorial manual on page 6-24. (This is the actual page number, note that page- and chapter numbers in the TOC are wrong).
In my case I see wildly varying levels, especially at the higher frequencies. See attached .pdf

I have a hunch what the problem is, though. When I load the furnished ISO31 waveform in the digital analyzer (generator portion), and then set the analog generator to "DGen" input, I get "Warning (19001): Waveform load overrun-file is longet than the selected buffer". Unfortunately, I cannot find any error message listing in any of the documentation I have. I haven't done any buffer selection, but I guess that is the DSP memory. I have standard DSP memory, no extended mem option. Could that be the problem? If so, I could probably cure it by generating a new dig waveform that has less samples?

Jan Didden
Attached Files
File Type: zip jd-multitone.zip (21.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 28th December 2006, 07:15 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

SpittingLama,

Can you sent me an email? I don't know how to reach you. Thanks,

Jan Didden

Hide this!Advertise here!