Super-T amp - NOT IMPRESSED! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2006, 03:34 PM   #1
markw51 is offline markw51  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Super-T amp - NOT IMPRESSED!

After coming across a few reviews about how marvelous the cheap little super-t's are I could not stand the temptation to purchase a Sonic Frontiers Super-T since my regular amp, a Jolida hybrid, is in the shop with a bad selector switch. (Second time for the same problem)

The new amp arrived and I was immediatly repulsed by the sound - what I would call typical, cheap transistor, flat, sterile, ect.

Am I missing something here?

I'm still waiting for my Jolida to come back, which I think blows the Super-T away in terms of being musical, so I'm still suffering with the Super-T, which I think now sounds a little better, but I think its just because I'm getting used to it, not because it sounds any better.

Mark
Old 2nd December 2006, 04:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Default Re: Super-T amp - NOT IMPRESSED!

Quote:
Originally posted by markw51
After coming across a few reviews about how marvelous the cheap little super-t's are I could not stand the temptation to purchase a Sonic Frontiers Super-T since my regular amp, a Jolida hybrid, is in the shop with a bad selector switch. (Second time for the same problem)

The new amp arrived and I was immediatly repulsed by the sound - what I would call typical, cheap transistor, flat, sterile, ect.

Am I missing something here?

I'm still waiting for my Jolida to come back, which I think blows the Super-T away in terms of being musical, so I'm still suffering with the Super-T, which I think now sounds a little better, but I think its just because I'm getting used to it, not because it sounds any better.

Mark
First, you should never, ever turn the volume knob up past about 60%. Ever.

Second, make sure your speakers are up to the level of efficiency needed. The Jolida is five times as powerful as a Super T, and I don't doubt that your speakers would not sound as good at lower volume levels.

Third, send me the Super-T if you really don't like it. Amongst other things, I have some russian military-surplus 12-position hermetically sealed rotary switches that, scary geiger counter readings aside (just kidding!), would be perfect for an input selector or whatever else you'd like.
Old 2nd December 2006, 04:43 PM   #3
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Even the super T uses TA2024, I don't like the sound nor the poor durability of this chip....TA2021B=much better in both....And almost all other Tripath chips are even better..

Offcourse you should like ultra clear sound in the first place. (especially when you use speakers to sound good with a darkish sounding kind of amp, any class D amp will sound very harsh...)

To Spasticteapot: maybe you can build attenuators with resistors with the rotary switches yourself.....
Old 2nd December 2006, 04:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Quote:
Originally posted by v-bro

To Spasticteapot: maybe you can build attenuators with resistors with the rotary switches yourself.....

I have 3 PGA2311's. I don't need no steenking rotary switches.
Old 2nd December 2006, 04:56 PM   #5
edge540 is offline edge540  France
diyAudio Member

If the T-amp is new, be patient!
At the beginning, it could sound bad. Burning in need 50 hours at least.
It's my experience with charlize and class D
Old 2nd December 2006, 06:27 PM   #6
fredos is offline fredos  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sorry edge540, but any good class d should ''sound'' the same at is first second to his dead...Except if they use a lot of cheap coupling cap.. Otherwise, good design involve that every component include in the feedback loop will ''sound'' the same from begining to the dead of amplifier....Specialy with class d!

Fredos

www.d-amp.com
Old 2nd December 2006, 07:22 PM   #7
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I wondered about that before, if circuitry needs 'wear-in' wouldn't it 'wear-off' quicker too? Are only the capacitors responsible for the wear-in period?

The 5066's I've had all took a few hours before they sounded good, after a short while they were all dead...(some even quit during a listening session without any obvious reasons...?!).
Old 2nd December 2006, 08:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default The Trends TA-10 is far superior

I didn't like my Super T either, even after replacing the caps. The Trends TA-10 with some minor mods is fabulous. I love it. My Super T is back in the box and put away. If anyone wants it, let me know.
Old 2nd December 2006, 09:18 PM   #9
markw51 is offline markw51  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Crapped Out!

Now my Super-T, (I started this thread) has crapped out, producing its own white noise at a high level. I guess I could keep it as a high power white noise generator but it will be on its way to Parts Express Monday.

Mark
Old 2nd December 2006, 09:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

My first ever experience with full range class-d was with the SI 5066. While it was fun to mod at the time, I have moved on to higher quality kits.

I didn't care for the craftsmanship of the 5066, so I doubt the Super-T is any better. I don't know and don't really care to find out.

Considering the price of the Super-T and build quality of the 5066, I never gave buying a Super-T a first thought.

There are kits out there (we all know where) that are of better quality and cost less than 1/4 the price.

Don't give up on good ol' Dr. Tripathi just yet!

Hide this!Advertise here!