Sonic Impact 5066 availability

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was checking out some SI 5066 on E-bay and I was stunned that some sellers were asking at least double the price (or more) that Parts Express is asking for on a base model t-amp.

Are they just trying to take advantage of people who don't know any better or has SI ceased making the product?

Like you said... it's the E-bay mentality of sale and demand...not enough to go around.... And the hype....... Means that unscrupulous vendors can take the P**s.......
I recently got one of those Tepai TA2020's and it's as god as a sonic for half he price.... In the UK that is;)

I also read the Tepai is built with only through hole components, my guess it lives a lot longer. And I have a hunch this chip can handle a lot more abuse than the TA2024...

Read this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86593&highlight=si+nightmare

I don't understand people still want those SI 5066 amps...:confused:

I have recently built a lot of AMP32's hrom 41hz.com. These amps are even a lot smaller than the SI and deliver a bit more power. The TA2021B chip used in this amp appears to have much better internal circuitry. The output toroids are a lot better quality and the amp sounds like heaven really.... And modding is much easier as the board is not only fitted with smd input cap soldering pads, but also through hole. Nice detail implemented by Jan! And on top of it all the kit includes enough resistors for 3 different gain settings....

Lostcause said:
Like you said... it's the E-bay mentality of sale and demand...not enough to go around.... And the hype....... Means that unscrupulous vendors can take the P**s.......
I recently got one of those Tepai TA2020's and it's as god as a sonic for half he price.... In the UK that is;)

If you mean the Lepai with TA2020......I actually think it sounds better than the SI. It doesn't look as nice as the SI...but it is in a metal box and it does have bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.