Full Digital / CrossOver / Multi Amplifier integrated

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
KOON3876 said:
So I'm thinking to add attached power supply. I added some circuits I used vely long time ago (for analog power amplifier).
LTSpice says it's ripple rejection ratio = -86dB/1kHz.

Now I'm hearing this discrete power supply, simply very nice.
Controllable from AVR, Rock Solid DC voltage, < mV noise, sound is warm and silky, but puncy.
I feel a little bit better than TacT S2150.:)

Attachments

• p1010270s.jpg
    p1010270s.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,228
I'm really interested in this project. I'm a TacT/Lyndorf Audio fan and have owned an M2150 in the past.

However, I don't need the multi channel feature, and I'm certain that there will be improvements to this project down the line, so I'm wondering, would it be possible to split up the PCB a bit? My request would be to put the SMD components (TAS5518) on a daughter board, so that one could do the SMD soldering only once, and put the power output components on secondary PCB, so that one can configure 2, 4 or 6 as needed? I'm mostly concerned about not having to purchase multiple chips and resoldering for each upgrade, the extra channels is not that important as I assume I can just leave out those components.

Also, do you have a few more high resolution pictures of the PCB and internals of your amplifier?

Are you certain that this amp already sounds better than a M/S2150?

Hi, Please see my www for high res pics.

TAS5518 requires power stage TAS5142 etc, and also they are SMD components. I can not recommend separated board for them, they requires short path for power and signal.

I feel (can not guarantee :) ) It sounds better than TacT I had before(photo is inside TacT S2150).

Attachments

• tactinside_s.jpg
    tactinside_s.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,013
KOON3876 said:
Hi, Please see my www for high res pics.

Ok, found them.

TAS5518 requires power stage TAS5142 etc, and also they are SMD components. I can not recommend separated board for them, they requires short path for power and signal.

wouldn't it be possible to separate out the parts on the lower right part of the PDB, and connect to each amplifier block using ribbon cables? Would that impair sound quality? It would make it a bit easier to swap out the power supply and amplifier blocks independently of the chip section.

One of the nice things about the DIY class-D projects is that they are mostly small and modular, allowing independent upgrades of the different parts of the project.

Attachments

• board.png
    board.png
    11 KB · Views: 920
iampivot said:

wouldn't it be possible to separate out the parts on the lower right part of the PDB, and connect to each amplifier block using ribbon cables? Would that impair sound quality? It would make it a bit easier to swap out the power supply and amplifier blocks independently of the chip section.

Hi For myself separating board is..
(1) Expensive for board building fee. each board will take setup fee.
(2) not easy to design effective board separation.
(3) hard to store in enclosure, and messy cables.
(4) "module" re-design is not so often. I re-design whole of board, or just add small board.
(5) take more board space and connectors, often expensive than TAS5518 etc. (like Chip $10, connectors and cables also $10).

so not a option.

Hi STA328 has DSP and I2S input, so if you write LPF/BPF/HPF to STA328(s) then they will work for channel divider integrated full digital amplifier.
and STA328 should be easy to handle than TI, it has SOP package and heat plate on top.
I went to FIR channel divider on PC now..

Thanks, what is FIR?
Do you think this amp is suitable for personal hifi?, I mean the audiophonics board.
I've also seen a ready made amp, digital amp: lead audio la200 wich uses ti scr4398 but its not DIY.

IIR don't need much processing and imulates analog filters including the phase changes. The timelag is almost non existing.

FIR filters needs a lot of processing powers, but can do filters without phase changes. Timelag is quite long - meaning that you could have som problems if you use it with a TV as well. Then you would need to make the same timelag on the TV for the sound to be in synq with movie.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.