I found a Texas Inst. TAS5122, class D cheap!!! (DVD/Stereo combo unit) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2006, 12:36 AM   #1
gaspain is offline gaspain  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I found a Texas Inst. TAS5122, class D cheap!!! (DVD/Stereo combo unit)

I was at ShopCo today (like a Walmart) and came across a little DVD/stereo system for $59.00 Its called a "JSI JS6008".

It caught my eye when I saw on the box "Superb 110w Path Digital Amplifier". So, I was thinking it was gonna have a Tripath system in it.

But instead of a Tripath, it has a Texas Instruments TAS5122 and some sort of switching PSU (I think). Whats strange is that this chip is a stereo chip, but the "subwoofer" doesn't have an internal amp so the receiver has 3 outputs.

Here is info on the TAS5122
Speaker Channels 2
Output Power(W) 30
Load(Min)(ohms) 6
Half Power THD + N @ 1 kHz (%)(kHz) 0.05
Dynamic Range(dB) 95

----------------------------------
Anyways, Its appearance looks really really cheap, it comes with junk speakers. But the unit has all kinds of features.

Progressive DVD
DVD-+R/RW
VCD
Audio CD
MP3
WMA
Jpeg
Mpeg4
USB Flash Drive reader

here's the box
Click the image to open in full size.

the default setup. I put some headphones and a Chapstick so you can see how small it is.

the back. Note the L and R and the SUB output. Where does the sub gets its amplification?

all the crap in the box

the TAS5122 in the center.

close up of chip

some sort of switching PSU??

Nice little display.

My 99db THX Cambridge Soundworks (creative) 8ohm speakers. MUCH better sound with these! Click the image to open in full size.

Im sure you are wondering; how does it sound?

Well, it sounds good with good high Db speakers. The included speakers suck major donkey. The sub is terrible too and washes out any good sound you will achieve with nice L and R's.

The sound is very clean. No hiss or anything. The dynamic range is hard to tell right now, I need to hook up my good sub.

The sound is somewhat haunting, I dont know how to describe it. Not sure if it compares to Tripath or UcD, ive never heard either of them before. Im newb here at diyaudio.

Ive only listened to it about 20 minutes so far, I need to let it burn in.

conclusion:
it is by no means audiophile, but sound good for the price.
Old 23rd November 2006, 12:51 AM   #2
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

That's one of the few commercial products I've seen that uses shielded drum core inductors. Doesn't look too bad on the inside. And yes, that unit definitely uses a switching supply.

The TAS5122 has four output bridges, and they can be driven individually, so it is possible they used two of the bridges single ended (and used a large electrolytic cap in series with speaker after the LC filter for AC coupling) for the L and R channels and used the other two bridges to provide a bridged output for the sub. One would have to inspect the board more closely to see if this is the case.
Old 23rd November 2006, 01:53 AM   #3
gaspain is offline gaspain  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok, after an hour or so of listening. Its starting to loosen up, sounds much warmer.

Also, the USB thumb drive is really nice to use. Plays mp3s of of it.
Old 23rd November 2006, 05:12 AM   #4
Fin is offline Fin
diyAudio Member

Well done....bargain...if it sounds good.

I want one...................
Old 23rd November 2006, 02:25 PM   #5
speaker is offline speaker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: I found a Texas Inst. TAS5122, class D cheap!!! (DVD/Stereo combo unit)

Quote:
Originally posted by gaspain
I was at ShopCo today (like a Walmart) and came across a little DVD/stereo system for $59.00 Its called a "JSI JS6008".
Good catch!

The Boston Acoustics Avidea 610 system uses one of the TI chipsets as well.

Hide this!Advertise here!