Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. I am, as the name indicates, a total muppet. Please forgive the unforgivable idiocy I'm about to describe. It will horrify you that such morons exist.

I plugged a 12V "AC adaptor" cable from an old Creative speaker system into a newly delivered Lepai LP-2020. The brick on the cable reads: PRI. : 230V~50Hz 320 mA; SEC. : 12V ~ 4.2A. The unit then started smoking, quite badly, and still stinks, several hours later. I am for now assuming I pumped AC into a DC-requiring input, and fried at least one if not more of the components

I have opened the case up to look for damage. So far the only visible damage I can see is to a small cylindrical (pointing up) brown component (that narrows in the middle, like a tall Oreo) nearest to the power input, standing on two 'legs'. It has no markings but the board has '5401' written near by.

I would really appreciate someone detailing my options here... how do I investigate / fix what's wrong?

Happy to post pictures if it helps.

Guys, i have received my new amp as i upgrade the resistors it's giving me a dc offset of 95mv for the right channela and 12volts on the right channel!!! what would cause this to happen? bad capacitor? bad resistor? also i have another 1 that humms as soon as i turn on the amp.. amy help will be much appreciated.

Msj965,
Wassup!?!?! i'll update you if i have any progress w/ the upgrades. i'll have the LM4562 coming in soon

Happy to oblige - cheers for the speedy reply.

Attachments

• P1010459.JPG
    P1010459.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 730
  • P1010458.JPG
    P1010458.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 700
Guys, i have received my new amp as i upgrade the resistors it's giving me a dc offset of 95mv for the right channela and 12volts on the right channel!!! what would cause this to happen? bad capacitor? bad resistor? also i have another 1 that humms as soon as i turn on the amp.. amy help will be much appreciated.

Msj965,
Wassup!?!?! i'll update you if i have any progress w/ the upgrades. i'll have the LM4562 coming in soon

uy LM4562! AYOS....

ojofool@pdvd

hey all,

I'm having a problem with my lepai ta2020 in a car installation...

I've wired it directly to the lighter socket on the accessory circuit... it works great with the ignition on 'acc' or 'on', but as soon as I start the car the sound cuts out.

The thing that has me stumped - the LED stays on and there is current going to the amp. What could be causing this? Maybe a grounding problem?... or insufficient amperage from the alternator?

thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

hey all,

I'm having a problem with my lepai ta2020 in a car installation...

I've wired it directly to the lighter socket on the accessory circuit... it works great with the ignition on 'acc' or 'on', but as soon as I start the car the sound cuts out.

The thing that has me stumped - the LED stays on and there is current going to the amp. What could be causing this? Maybe a grounding problem?... or insufficient amperage from the alternator?

thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.
I found the same thing, too much voltage, the Lepai doesn't like being run above 14v.

strap

Hello everybody.
Sorry for my poor english !

I'm actually realize a tweak for my lepai.
I sought tips and images and i noticed this : (see pics)

Apparently ,all amp lepai do not have this strap between the two ceramic capacitors .
Someone has an explanation?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 690
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 665
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.