Lepai T-Amp with TA2020 - Page 95 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2011, 03:07 AM   #941
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
What's the fascination with these? The price? They sure are cheap and they have improved the build quality over the years, but they still aren't great.

The 41Hz AMP6 is so much better that to me it would justify the small extra cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristleifur View Post
I guess it's also the learning experience that attracts. That was a factor for me when I was starting out. It's somewhat unfortunate that these amps are so very low-quality that they present a bad picture of Tripath amps.

I'll resoundingly second the Amp6. Those are re-li-a-ble, and sound unbelievably good. Out-bass, out-punch any bigger amp you'll ever have heard.
I must agree with both of you.

Lepai is a great amp for the ones that are starting with diyaudio . It costs $ 10,00 so you can play around with it without any remorse and if you want to challenge yourself and try to make it play on the same league as AMP6-BASIC KIT ( $ 39,00 ) then you have $ 29,00 left to buy components and learn more. If you fail then in the worst case scenario you lost $ 10,00 and can keep the components and the ugly case

I just started on this diyaudio world and to me Lepai is a great amp since I want to learn fast and having a trouble free unit might not be the best choice because most of the time we learn more from our mistakes.
I learned alot reading the ta2020 datasheet and I must say that at the first I tough I was not skilled enough with electronics to read the datasheet and find a solution to bypass the tone and op amps but I was wrong and I loved to be wrong.

I will distribute those amps on my home doing ambient sound in the bathrooms and rooms while for garden and living room I have two sure tk2050 4x100 on their way to my home and even an Arjen Elder MKII for my desktop.

In the end it is up to what you want to anchieve and what will fit better your needs while not getting your wallet empty .

[]'s
Old 16th November 2011, 03:11 AM   #942
diyAudio Member

Learning about things is never wrong!

My only wish is that for those who want a simple and bulletproof amp, and have the extra $30, that they know that the Amp6 can very well fit the bill. As do the Hifimediy amps, which I haven't auditioned yet but am a firm believer in.
Old 16th November 2011, 03:19 AM   #943
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks guys, I figured it might be price. Or the beautiful case. ;P
FWIW, I have a couple of the first generation Lepai amps. One has been running 24/7 for over two years, never a problem.

But I still like the AMP6 better.
Old 16th November 2011, 02:52 PM   #944
frasco is offline frasco  Finland
diyAudio Member

I believe the attraction is buying a cheap simple amp that you can mod by exchanging a few parts and hopefully by time achieve something like the AMP6. If you buy the AMP6 and it's as good as people say, there's not much to modify.

As an electronics noob I've been debating over this myself but I've chosen to build my own amp based on the schematics in the TA2020-sheet instead of buying a Lepai. Many things can go wrong and it would definitely be easier to buy the Lepai and change parts one by one but I'll take the chance.
Old 16th November 2011, 03:09 PM   #945
diyAudio Moderator

Frasco - makes sense!

BTW, where are you guys getting them for $10? I haven't see any for under $20.
Old 16th November 2011, 03:23 PM   #946
ljm_ljm is offline ljm_ljm  China
diyAudio Member

If you only have a power DC12V

I think that use two TDA2030A BTL will be more convenient and performance.

It may have only a dollar.
Old 16th November 2011, 03:34 PM   #947
diyAudio Moderator

The TDA2030A looks interesting, but wouldn't you need a split supply even in BTL mode? If single supply, then you have to go thru a big DC blocking cap. I'd rather not.

I've heard a quite a few single chip amps but none overall better than the TA2020, so far.
Old 16th November 2011, 04:07 PM   #948
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Frasco - makes sense!

BTW, where are you guys getting them for $10? I haven't see any for under $20.
I purchased four for $ 40,00 plus shipping ($ 10,00 ) from aliexpress.com but i'm not going to deal with this site again even if they pay me to.
Seller is a stone faced liar and has several stores there :

Zhongshan Koqi Electronics Manufactory
Tiger Ecommerce Co. LTD, TYFUNG TRADE CO. LTD.
John Liao B
John Liao a

My order needed 20 days to get sent and a total of 90+ days to arrive. I purchased from the most graduated seller there but had big headcaches dealing with him and aliexpress "buyers protection" so my adivise to everyone is :
Keep your wallet away from this place or maybe try products listed as fulfillment by aliexpress but be aware that their customer support sucks to a whole new level.

Also any of you know where I can buy good components with honest $hipping ?
farnell newark, mouser, digi-key, madisound all want to charge me $ 38-45 to ship a single cap.

[]'s
Old 17th November 2011, 12:22 AM   #949
diyAudio Moderator

PM me, I may be able to help.
Old 17th November 2011, 12:25 AM   #950
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virpz View Post
Also any of you know where I can buy good components with honest $hipping ?
farnell newark, mouser, digi-key, madisound all want to charge me $ 38-45 to ship a single cap.

[]'s
For small orders I use rs components as they dont charge for p+p
RS Components | Electronic and Electrical Components

Hide this!Advertise here!