Lepai T-Amp with TA2020 - Page 78 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2011, 07:08 PM   #771
Wubbaz is offline Wubbaz  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hey there!

My friend is currently thinking about ordering this Lepai amp:

Lepai TRIPATH TA2020+ Amp Mini Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier | eBay UK

However, in his project his amplifier will be placed in a portable stereo, which most likely will be encountered with quite some heat as it will be taken out and played in the sun for several hours in a row.

Therefore, I thought that I would ask you ask if you have any ideas of improving the heat dissipation, as I do not think that the current aluminium enclosure will be sufficient enough at distribution heat away from the amp. It would suck to have your amplifier fried while you are out playing.

Thank you very much in advance
Old 16th April 2011, 12:34 PM   #772
diyAudio Member

i dont think they are getting so much hot... i have an Class A/B amp with 30W and it goes just handwarm
Old 18th April 2011, 11:43 AM   #773
Jiggen is offline Jiggen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi, I'm getting major distortion sounds one one channel or no sound at all. I've tried 3 different sets of speakers and 3 different power supplies. The other channel works fine. What should I be looking at to see what the problem is? I've had a look at the board and it all looks relatively clean and no noticeable mistakes.

Thank you.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:55 AM   #774
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubbaz View Post
Hey there!

My friend is currently thinking about ordering this Lepai amp:

Lepai TRIPATH TA2020+ Amp Mini Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier | eBay UK

However, in his project his amplifier will be placed in a portable stereo, which most likely will be encountered with quite some heat as it will be taken out and played in the sun for several hours in a row.

Therefore, I thought that I would ask you ask if you have any ideas of improving the heat dissipation, as I do not think that the current aluminium enclosure will be sufficient enough at distribution heat away from the amp. It would suck to have your amplifier fried while you are out playing.

Thank you very much in advance
It will not be a problem under any sircumstances at all. You can heat up the cabinet to 85 degrees celsius and it still won't be a problem.

What can shut the TA2020 chip down due to temperature overload is if the junction temperature exceeds 150 degrees celsius. And that can basically only occur if there's no heatsink attached to the chip at all and you're running 2 ohms speakers.
Old 24th April 2011, 12:08 AM   #775
diyAudio Member

Can someone tell me the minimum and maximum Voltage i can use it with?

I plan to use LiIon 18650 pack, so the Voltage can range
8V-12,6V (3S) or 11V-16,8 (4S)
So i think 3s would be safe to use, but has lower power and usage time than 4s.

Anyone tested exactly?
Old 27th April 2011, 07:11 PM   #776
diyAudio Member

I bought one of these units afew years ago, think it sounds awful!! is there much of a burn in period?
Old 6th May 2011, 11:07 AM   #777
diyAudio Member

Hi, total newbie here - i hope you don't mind me asking a few questions.

I'm looking to convert the case from an old 60s transistor radio into an iPod dock, and thought a Lepai TA2020 would be perfect, but have the following questions:

On the new board with surface mounted components, would I still be able to remove and remount the On/Off switch, volume pots, speaker and minijack connections to fit the radio case?

Space is fairly tight - can I remove the board from the aluminium case and fit it into my radio, or is it necessary for heatsink or grounding etc.?

Would these full range drivers be suitable to be powererd by the Lepai?

Many thanks for any assistance you can offer,
Patrick
Old 8th May 2011, 04:20 AM   #778
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgettr View Post
OK, here is the relay protect circuit as best as I can trace it. It is all surface mount. The thing that concerns me is the connection between the fault/relay circuit and the overvoltage/mute circuit. In the case of Fault going high, I think this would 'toggle' the mute pin which resets the fault. But if the fault condition persists, will this lead to damage to the TA2020?
In my experience it's best to have nothing or an LED & resistor connected to the fault pin. This helps protect the TA2020 IC. Anything else is probably asking for trouble.

Even on the early Lepai's, I have no idea what they were trying to achieve with the diode connected to the fault pin, I always removed this diode after the TA2020 died on my Lepai.

Last edited by MikeHunt79; 8th May 2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old 8th May 2011, 01:46 PM   #779
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalfuss View Post
I bought one of these units afew years ago, think it sounds awful!! is there much of a burn in period?
I just received 2 units from PE, and they sound surprisingly good. Want to modify one if electronic gurus here can figure out the recommended mod to improve the sound.

gychang
Old 11th May 2011, 06:39 PM   #780
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHunt79 View Post
In my experience it's best to have nothing or an LED & resistor connected to the fault pin. This helps protect the TA2020 IC. Anything else is probably asking for trouble.

Even on the early Lepai's, I have no idea what they were trying to achieve with the diode connected to the fault pin, I always removed this diode after the TA2020 died on my Lepai.
That's exactly what I did in the end...

Hide this!Advertise here!