Lepai T-Amp with TA2020 - Page 65 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2010, 01:07 AM   #641
denztan is offline denztan  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Default strap

killmister,

One of my amps, doesnt have the strap and it humms as soon as i turn it on.. i guess its a hack to prevent the amps from making static noise. i haven't seen one/compared one w/o the strap. maybe it's of different versions.

Denz@pdvd
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:57 PM   #642
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savenger1 View Post
hey all,

I'm having a problem with my lepai ta2020 in a car installation...

I've wired it directly to the lighter socket on the accessory circuit... it works great with the ignition on 'acc' or 'on', but as soon as I start the car the sound cuts out.

The thing that has me stumped - the LED stays on and there is current going to the amp. What could be causing this? Maybe a grounding problem?... or insufficient amperage from the alternator?

thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.
I might have found a solution to this, got the same problem powering the amp from 10 NiMh batteries. Anyway, i removed the D1 diode that says 14V. I attached a picture where i marked it. Just tested it quickly and it seems to work. But i leave no warrantys that it will, or that the amp will be functional afterwards...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lp2020-top.jpg (569.1 KB, 876 views)
Old 26th September 2010, 03:52 AM   #643
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savenger1 View Post
Yeah looks like that's it... battery shows 12.8v when the car is off, but about 13.9 when the alternator is running.

What is the best way to skim 1v off the circuit so that it can work?
A couple of series connected commodity silicon diodes (1N4004 etc)
should do the trick. Each diode will drop about 0.7V
Old 5th October 2010, 10:02 PM   #644
diyAudio Member

Hi guys im new to this forum :-)

Ive been working on a little project lately, ive modded my headunit of my vy commodore to add a aux input. What ive done is ive found the points in the headunit and ran a left right and earth. I hve then connected them to the amp (lepai ta2020) and powered it up.
The idea is that the ta2020 will be used to amplify my ipod so that my ipod doesnt have to be cranked up all the way to acheive decent volume.

Problem is... tthe ta2020 burnt out and i dont know what to do. Can anyone help?? please
Old 5th October 2010, 10:03 PM   #645
diyAudio Member

Ive been working on a little project lately, ive modded my headunit of my vy commodore to add a aux input. What ive done is ive found the points in the headunit and ran a left right and earth. I hve then connected them to the amp (lepai ta2020) and powered it up.
The idea is that the ta2020 will be used to amplify my ipod so that my ipod doesnt have to be cranked up all the way to acheive decent volume.

Problem is... tthe ta2020 burnt out and i dont know what to do. Can anyone help?? please
Old 15th October 2010, 09:29 AM   #646
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
There is also a circuit that mutes the TA2020 if the input (supply) voltage is >14v. This is what the 14v Zener is for. The max voltage for this chip being 16v. This is going to make it difficult to use in a car as the battery charging voltage can reach over 14v. It confused me until I traced out the circuit

Tony
Hi. Thinking of replacing the 14 volt zener with a 15 or 16 volt version. Has anyone tried this. Bad idea. Great idea. Dont bother?

Im still using my Lepai at home with a computer smps but its goin in my when Im done modding and wanna make somewhat sure it will work

Regards /Bo
Old 28th October 2010, 07:09 AM   #647
eladmi is offline eladmi  Germany
diyAudio Member

I finally finished my "DIY iPod wooden retro speaker dock project". I needed two TA2020 since one broke right away (it was the diode). Thanks to this forum the second one is working right away (removed the diode). You can have a look at http://www.wolfeil.de .

Thanks for your help

ElAdMi
Old 29th October 2010, 06:02 AM   #648
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos0743 View Post

If I understand properly, you're using the lepai as a preamp for your head unit?

If that's the case, it will not work and may damage your head unit, at the very least it'll cause a drop in sound quality. The lepai is not a preamp and is designed to power speakers, it won't behave as a source for another amplifier.

Chances are if you've wired your own aux input from a channel that is intended to be used for something like a cd player, the input sensitivity would be too low for practical use of something like an ipod. Without heavily modifying the head unit, the best solution would be to use a line-out dock or a headphone amplifier, but you may still have problems with excessive gain.

Additionally, the lepai may not work in your car while the alternator is running due to it cutting off around 14v.

You're probably best off just buying a cheap head unit with a dedicated aux input...

Last edited by savenger1; 29th October 2010 at 06:02 AM. Reason: quote in wrong place
Old 8th November 2010, 09:47 PM   #649
diyAudio Member

Default POP!!!!

How much electricity does the Lepai TA2020 use? I've been thinking about just leaving it on and stashing it behind my desk rather than having it sit on top of it. The thing really runs cool, and I hate the pop it makes when I turn it on. Clearly, it's using some electricity whether it's on or off. How much electricity would I be wasting by just leaving it on? Is this harmful to it or my speakers in some way?
Old 9th November 2010, 11:28 PM   #650
diyAudio Member

^ I've found they get annoying if you leave them on, picks up mobile phone interference and all kinds of things. Idle power is quite low but it's still best to turn it off.

I seem to have blown both my TA2020's from using them without first removing the zener diode... what a pain. One is totally silent and the other is playing only on one channel and sounds bloody awful.

I suppose it's fair to say they're beyond repair?

I guess a reliable, good sounding amp for $20 is too much to ask...

Hide this!Advertise here!