Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Still checking the circuit.. All the pins seems to be getting correct voltages according to the datasheet... only problem is the pin no 18.. Any idea ? Thanks

Pin 18 is an output pin... as I'm sure that you have read the datasheet, but:
The FAULT pin is a 5V logic output that indicates various fault conditions within the device. These conditions include: low supply voltage, low charge pump voltage, low 5V regulator voltage, over current at any output, and junction temperature greater than approximately 155°C. The FAULT output is capable of directly driving an LED through a series 2KΩ resistor. If the FAULT pin is connected directly to the MUTE input an automatic reset will occur in the event of an over-current condition.

If you have checked all this points and still no luck, your chip could be dead, and there's nothing to do.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You can run one amp per speaker, but it won't get you more power. Power is limited by the voltage at which the amp operates. It's the law - Ohm's Law.
Look it up, do the math and you will see what I mean.

That said, you might hear a little gain because you have 2 power supplies, so if you were running into the current limits of one supply, having two (1 per amp) might give you a little more bump.

You can run one amp per speaker, but it won't get you more power. Power is limited by the voltage at which the amp operates. It's the law - Ohm's Law.

That said, you might hear a little gain because you have 2 power supplies, so if you were running into the current limits of one supply, having two (1 per amp) might give you a little more bump.

Hehe ok, well yes, I do know that... I'm just tired... tired of looking up what amp to use for my new summer build. I want a little more power, so a 2050 maybe and 24V battery pack.

Anywats, thank you for your response!

Mmm I'm not an expert in this things, but I've been thinking about it... as far as I know the TA2020 has bridged outputs, so it can't be bridged again each channel to get more power.

But what can be done is to put both channels paralleled at the end of this page is explained. Voltage at output can be modified by varying the gain configuration resistors, and having the both channels in parallel will allow to get more power.

Anyway, seems that getting a more powerful chip is a better solution.

suggestion !

I'm using this :

Hifimediy T2 2*100W@4ohm amplifier TK2050 Nichicon KG 10000uf|Hifimediy

No mods needed. Everything is there. You might just want to change the input caps in the future. Runs perfect with 24-27 dc power supply, but i haven't test it with batteries. Sound is amazing.

Hehe ok, well yes, I do know that... I'm just tired... tired of looking up what amp to use for my new summer build. I want a little more power, so a 2050 maybe and 24V battery pack.

Anywats, thank you for your response!

Pin 18 is an output pin... as I'm sure that you have read the datasheet, but:

If you have checked all this points and still no luck, your chip could be dead, and there's nothing to do.

Problem here is that my power supply also not working properly now..

If I really cannot fixed this I'll fixed all the stuff in a vero board..

Can I use IN5817 instead of the Motorola diodes ?

How do i check those caps using analog multimeter?

Also is it ok to use 220 uf instead of the 180 uf caps ?

Thanks All for the support..

Problem here is that my power supply also not working properly now..

If I really cannot fixed this I'll fixed all the stuff in a vero board..

Can I use IN5817 instead of the Motorola diodes ?
It seems that they have the same characteristics, so will be fine.

How do i check those caps using analog multimeter?
You can't, you'll need a multimeter capable of that or a capacitance meter.

You can check that they "work" by using the multimeter in resistance measure mode, after touching the capacitor you'll see that its resistance starts from 0 and raises.
Also is it ok to use 220 uf instead of the 180 uf caps ?
Thanks All for the support..
Yes, should work with that.

Anyway, I don't think that caps are the problem... try first with the power supply, then testing diodes Testing Of Schottky Diode and Application (you'll need to de-solder them or the ta2020), then check short circuit between outputs (I de-soldered my TA2020, and discovered that the board has a little bit of conductivity between outputs, so that could probably killed my chip, I dig around the tracks with a screwdriver to remove anything that could cause the conductivity), then finally move all components to another board...

Can anyone here recommend a power supply for a new Lepai TA2020 for a friend?

I own one a Lepai TA2020 (from 2009) and bought a 13.5V/2.66A power supply for it, but I occasionally get loud pops if I touch the Lepai. Could this be due to my power supply? The company I bought the power supply from (Advanced Power Solutions) doesn't have my power supply in stock, so assuming my power supply isn't causing the pops, I can't get my hands on another one for my friend anyway.

I'm really confused. I've read that 13.5V is the best way to go, and that's what I have. Here's what I don't understand: the back of the amp says 2A, but I'm seeing people sell these with 5A power supplies online. Huh?

What are the best specs to look for, and where can I find that sort of power supply? I need one that won't require any modding as it is for someone else.

Hi. I have just seem these little amps on ebay for £11! They seem a bargain too good to be true! I am looking at making some passive monitor speakers for use in my studio.

Would they be good for this purpose?

Also I get the impression that much of what has gone before int his thread has been about modifying these units. Without going back though 101 pages of technical stuff that I probably wont understand would anyone be so kind as to outline what can be done to improve these? I imagine they use a lot of electrolytic caps where poly ones could be used instead, right?

They seem ideal for my purpose. I am learning about electronic circuits at the moment and making my own mics so using these or even doing some mods to them would be quite interesting.

Thanks for any input.

I was looking at a few of these and I think I may have ordered the wrong one. Is this one also a TA-2020 ???

It isn't labelled as such but does look exactly the same.....

Hi-Fi Stereo Audio Amplifier Car Music Power APM 25WX2 Silver | eBay

No. The one you ordered is a philips daA8566 based amp.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

LP2020-1.JPG

Can't decide what is the worst looking case.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.