Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One board per case please!

I measured mine, these have a height of 4,9 millimeters. It is in front of me, because i just modifiying it a little right now. Look here : SureTA-2024 Board integrated in Lepai LP-2020 - Quad Channel amp

Thats pretty impressive. I like how you found a way to cram in another PCB into the space.

hmmmm, I'm still on the fence on the toroids. Thanks to all for posting the different options for these. I'll be watching with interest.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...ntegrated-lepai-lp-2020-quad-channel-amp.html

Well, the diode is to avoid that the current hold by the solenoid come back and could damage other components (it's a typical circuit, some transistors -the black components with 3 pins- control the relay http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8766/relaydrivergg8.jpg ). Be careful to not bypass any components in the output stage, and do not make ground contact, as it can damage the chip.

Thanks for the reply..

This is my understanding..When the voltage goes through those 2 pins (connected to the diode), relay connect speaker negative to the chip negative output.. To verify this I should be able to hear the "click" sound (mechanical movement).. So my idea is that if I'm not hearing the click sound something is wrong with the relay..(This amp fail to perform due to short circuit occurred earlier)(I'm quite confident about the PSU)..My idea is to take out this relay & check for any results.. (connect speaker negative wires manually)

Also if someone could, please share normal voltage of the positive speaker output (when the chip is not connected to the audio input)..I'm confused about the results I'm getting..Thanks

Don't think that shops selling the amp would be important... there are a few with reputation, but what I think that is great about this amp is that you can get at even a lower price looking on ebay (usually not powersellers users reduce the price to sell things).

I find the PSU part an interesting point to start, will be fine to have different options to compare, measures, etc. it's an important component, and not too much researched in the forum, after that I think that a first enumeration of interesting mods will be fine (will be a good idea to make a classification -power input, sound input, tone controls, sound output, etc.- and start adding links to the forum, then we can start reviewing and rewriting the interesting ones).

Thats pretty impressive. I like how you found a way to cram in another PCB into the space.

hmmmm, I'm still on the fence on the toroids. Thanks to all for posting the different options for these. I'll be watching with interest.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...ntegrated-lepai-lp-2020-quad-channel-amp.html

Thx for compliment :rolleyes: (talk about german engineering), i think without relocation of the toroids it wouldn't be possible. The space is now used for the cable of the (new)input.

Thanks for the reply..

This is my understanding..When the voltage goes through those 2 pins (connected to the diode), relay connect speaker negative to the chip negative output.. To verify this I should be able to hear the "click" sound (mechanical movement).. So my idea is that if I'm not hearing the click sound something is wrong with the relay..(This amp fail to perform due to short circuit occurred earlier)(I'm quite confident about the PSU)..My idea is to take out this relay & check for any results.. (connect speaker negative wires manually)

Also if someone could, please share normal voltage of the positive speaker output (when the chip is not connected to the audio input)..I'm confused about the results I'm getting..Thanks

Any help please...Thanks

Any help please...Thanks

Your amp is in Fault mode as you have said before that it shows 5V on that pin. When the amp is in fault mode, the relay won't turn on.

So first check WHY is in fault mode? 9v on pin 25 is not a good point. Have said before, but if you are sure that is not a power supply problem, could be a short circuit problem, if none of them, probably the chip has died…

Hi All,

This is my second chip,,, Now the pin 25 showing the correct voltage...I'll remove all the amps & other stuff as I cannot locate the error.. Thanks

If you have checked everything possible and still no cues, take a bottle of alcohol (the highest º you can, 99º will be better) a toothbrush, and clean all the solder joints of the board. Solder wire usually has flux in it, it shouldn't be conductive, but sometimes it is, cleaning the board removes that kind of contacts.

When I done the op-amp bypass mod I have that kind of problem, my amp started to make crappy sound and was because of that.

Thanks all for the reply..

Just cleared all the unnecessary parts from the lepai amp..This is how it looks right now..

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But still I'm getting a 5v rating from pin 18..Any Idea about the cause of the issue?

Also I'm getting 5v output from relay pins (before minus output).. Resistance between the relay coil seems fine (According to the datasheet)

Thanks

Why not removing those diodes you have installed. Then try again to see if it is ok .

Thanks all for the reply..

Just cleared all the unnecessary parts from the lepai amp..This is how it looks right now..

But still I'm getting a 5v rating from pin 18..Any Idea about the cause of the issue?

Also I'm getting 5v output from relay pins (before minus output).. Resistance between the relay coil seems fine (According to the datasheet)

Thanks

Is pin no2 & pin no8 connected to pin no 30 ? There is a possibility that with all these modes you cut a trace or removed something that makes the chip work . If i where you i would download the Ta2020-a20 schematic & compare the suggested circuit with the one Lepai has. It is simple and easy to follow.
Vassilis

Thanks for the reply..

I've not added any equipments so far..

Those are the schottky diodes...

I already removed them previously & it didn't help me either..

Any other ideas ?

Thanks..

Is pin no2 & pin no8 connected to pin no 30 ? There is a possibility that with all these modes you cut a trace or removed something that makes the chip work . If i where you i would download the Ta2020-a20 schematic & compare the suggested circuit with the one Lepai has. It is simple and easy to follow.
Vassilis

This is what happen previously..

earlier there was a missing connection to pin 8 from pin 2 .. so now I've already fixed that using the grey wire..I've also downloaded the ta2020 datasheet and followed it ... Yet I'm unable to find any issue :scratch1:

Any help highly appreciated..

Try to di-solder the power supply capacitor ( in my lepai it was used and leaking) & then power up. It wont need it since there is a capacitor on your external power supply. Also check if you get a 1volt reference at pin no4. Otherwise you got another dead chip, and in this case i would buy another Lepai & stop searching any more. Very cheap now on ebay & they sell a new version with smd components.

earlier there was a missing connection to pin 8 from pin 2 .. so now I've already fixed that using the grey wire..I've also downloaded the ta2020 datasheet and followed it ... Yet I'm unable to find any issue :scratch1:

As vmed_cha_gr says, if you can't solve the problem, is time to start thinking about getting a new chip... or a new amp...

Mine is again alive, the new TA2020 works perfectly, so that confirms that my previous chip died.

Thanks All.

I checked the circuit..I'm getting that 1v reference voltage.. so still I'm hopeful i can solve this..However still the pin 18 shows the high state..I cannot ask for money from my parents as I already spent quite a bit for this amp so far.. Hope u understand.. Thanks
I don't have any lepais now but as I already said I would put my bucks on the PSU.

For example I have one psu that shows 10v at the label and outputs 13.99v, other is rated 13v and outputs 7v and regulated switching psu that is rated 20-26v and can't get past 22V.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.