Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:confused:
Hi, I was considering to buy autoconstruire T2020 m kit, but know I see this.
I'm totally begginer with this little amps and modding, still, the autoconstruire doesn't look to dificult.
What about Lepai t2020, is it dificult to modify? do you have any photos for modification of this litle amplifier?

I was olso thinking Trends audio amp, and follow modifications from pano's site, but 100 euros for fiddelling arround it's too risky fro me I think, were as 40 Eu, it's okay.
Still if modding lepai it's too dificult I'll just get trends or Autoconstruire.

I'll appreciate your opinion and help,
thanks

juanito said:
:confused:
Hi, I was considering to buy autoconstruire T2020 m kit, but know I see this.
I'm totally begginer with this little amps and modding, still, the autoconstruire doesn't look to dificult.
What about Lepai t2020, is it dificult to modify? do you have any photos for modification of this litle amplifier?

I was olso thinking Trends audio amp, and follow modifications from pano's site, but 100 euros for fiddelling arround it's too risky fro me I think, were as 40 Eu, it's okay.
Still if modding lepai it's too dificult I'll just get trends or Autoconstruire.

thanks

This would make a very nice first amplifier if you want to mod. I think that it's almost entirely through-hole, so surface-mount work is not necessary.

If you're not afraid of surface-mount, the 41hz.com Amp32 is your best bet. 27 euros gets you a kit minus potentiometer and box, and odds are, you'd be replacing them anyway.

juanito said:
:What about Lepai t2020, is it dificult to modify? do you have any photos for modification of this litle amplifier?

thanks

Well - the Lepai is very new to us all and only two of us actually have them in our hands at this time...........unless others have started receiving their's already.

I haven't opened mine yet but Panomaniac has. He says that it is ALL thru hole components - which appeals to me for ease of modding - but a good SMD design would probably be better if it doens't need modding or if you don't like the idea of modding and just want nice sound.

Panomaniac says that when he gets some free time, he will post some photos of the inside of the Lepai and work out some nice mods for us.......:D

My own experience with these Class T-Amps is limited and I have only compared this Lepai to a SI T-amp (both unmodded). They sound different. The SI has more perceived detail but lacks bass. The Lepai has a fuller and rounder sound with more bass than the SI. In stock form - I would choose the Lepai. However, with some simple mods to the SI things would probably be a lot closer. But then, the potntial with the Lepai might be greater as it uses a better chip and even more mods are possible because of the larger size components.

Spasticteapot said:

This would make a very nice first amplifier if you want to mod. I think that it's almost entirely through-hole, so surface-mount work is not necessary.

If you're not afraid of surface-mount, the 41hz.com Amp32 is your best bet. 27 euros gets you a kit minus potentiometer and box, and odds are, you'd be replacing them anyway.

Spasticteapot is exactly right! It all depends on your level of skill, willingness to modify and tools available.

If you want something that looks great, is well built and apparently sounds good.....without having to do any modding.....then the Trends looks like a good choice.

If you want more control over the appearance and like the idea of building something....then one of the kits is the way to go.

If you want something that is ready to use but is not too intimidating to modify....then the Lepai seems sinsible.

FYI.

Hi all, Tripath, the company is in BAD shape financially....and may not survive...

RIPATH TECH INC (OTC BB:TRPH.OB) Delayed quote data Edit
Last Trade: 0.12
TMarket Cap: 7.78M
P/E (ttm): N/A
EPS (ttm): -0.21
Div & Yield: N/A (N/A)

Perhaps someone will buy their line of chips. But if not then I wanted all the creative energy to be focued in the right place...go here

the eetimes...
A snapshot of the latest Class D devices (which can include some with analog inputs, others with digital inputs) reveals a fair degree of innovation for meeting these main objectives.

http://www.eeproductcenter.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=194500123

A lot of new silicon for this ...read about that jamtec one.

http://www.eeproductcenter.com/analog/brief/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193100700 I am not an engineer and can't tell which of all of them sound promising, but perhpas others here can sort it out...

Hopefully something good will happen for Tripath.

who wants to try one of these for us....

...Meanwhile, fabless JamTech is in production with its JM2020 sub-ranging pulse-width-modulation (PWM)
Class D amp (Fig. 4). The analogy is to analog-to-digital converters (ADCs), where a sub-ranging
architecture employs a two-step approach.
In an 8-bit sub-ranging ADC, a first conversion would be completed with a 4-bit converter, and the result
of the 4-bit conversion would be converted back to an analog signal (with an 8-bit-accurate digital-toanalog
converter) and subtracted from the input signal, after which the result is again digitized to 4 bits.
Then, the results of the first and second pass are combined.
JamTech is the first company to offer a commercial product that applies a subranging technology to Class
D. The result is 16-bit audio quality with a 98-dB range of linearity, which ultimately provides accurate
sound reproduction at low signal levels. It also reduces zero-crossing distortion. The JM2020 comes in a
64-pin quad flat no-lead (QFN) package and costs $3.10 each in 1000-unit lots.

Fin said:
Being a Financial Adviser - I agree that things might not look good for Tripath.......but for DIYers it might be different. All T-Amps might become collectors items soon and appreciate in value.....;)

I hope TI or NatSemi buys them out.

TI, especially. It's hard to beat their free samples program!

EDIT:

While I'm a little fuzzy on the legalese, it appears that Tripath has just been sued. However, sales are good.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=121527&p=irol-newsArticle&t=Regular&id=903643&

As a result, the stock has dipped. However, I would invest in them - their products are very popular, it would seem, due to their high quality and ease of implementation. (They even have STK amps beat for the number of required parts!)

I was just kidding.....also have a few of their samples somewhere in my collection.

Thanks for the offer on the WIMA caps...but make it easy for us and put a link to the site/forum. I'm interested in a few. They would be just right for a T-Amp used with smallish speakers.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
As I Tripath shareholder, I am worried...I have made money in the stock right around the time the T-Amp was flying high (it went from 2 to 8 rather quickly before heading down to a mere .04), and it did triple to .179 in a few days last week....classic pump and dump? I think not.

Tripath does have a lot going for it, unfortunately Dr Trapathi may be a better engineer than a businessman...

I am holding out for a Cirrus Logic, TI or Nat Semi buyout, and then we will see some truley great things Tripath...all they need is a little Research and Development money, and a diversion from the financial performance of its stock.

I am a holder, as I like this stuff.

Hi Fin,
I've decided to get one of these, if there are still left. 6amp is a great idea, but still doubt of my skills on handling one of these little amps, so if I break one, better to break a real cheap one. If it's okay and goes on well, who knows, I may do a 6amp or other in the future; )
As I'm very knew in this forum, and probabilly I'm still under moderation, I may enable mail. Try send me mail, if not send thread and see if I can do something.

By the way, The PSU you send by link http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:AU:1#ebayphotohosting, did you get it?

If i get a lepai, I'll wait until pano gives the veredict about modding this amp.

Thanks olso for you recomendation thread
bye

Hi Juanito

I've just sent you an email.

Yes - I got two of those SMPS from ebay and they look very neat. I haven't tried them out yet - still using and external power adaptor (laptop computer style) until the case arrives and I get arround to modding and building the amp properly.

I've been talking to the seller of the SMPS about buying a large quantity from him - and then passing them on to fellow DIYers at a really good price - with international shipping etc.

;)
cheers Fin, I've just got the mail you send me.

BTW, did you get all PSU's from ebay australia? still, it's very cheap though, and I have to ask the seller how much is shippment to europe.

...let's see what PANO says about the modding... sounds exciting

bye and thanks again

Re: Alternate T-amp

juanito said:
BTW, did you get all PSU's from ebay australia? still, it's very cheap though, and I have to ask the seller how much is shippment to europe.

He doesn't seem too keen to ship internationally. That's whay I'm trying to arrange a largish purchase...then I can pass then on to you at a similar price (or maybe less) plus shipping.
Whow!...I'm a nice guy! :angel:

psgary said:
The T-amp you mention sounds intriguing. I'm trying to get enough posts to be able to email you. If you haven't had enough takers, I'm interested in buying one.

psgary....you've got mail.......

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I took these photos last week and forgot to post them!

Here is a top view of the amp where you can see the TA2020 chip under the main board. This amps seems to use the same output inductors as the Sonic Impact. It also uses one on the input as a power filter. Diodes are thru hole as is everything.

Pretty bad build quality - loooks like so much of the junk stuff from the 1970s. But it actually works well - credit to the TA2020 chip!

I don't know what the 8 pin DIP IC does. Haven't looked into it yet. Anyone know?

Attachments

• lepai01.jpg
    lepai01.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2,645
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.