Lepai T-Amp with TA2020 - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2009, 10:52 AM   #281
col is offline col  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just bought 41hz toroid kits. Thanks. Did you noticed a real improvement in sound?
Yes, a definite improvement in sound, especially when playing at high volume levels

Be careful with soldering/placement, they MUST NOT touch anything metallic, they arc out. I used TO-220 adhesive sil pads to insulate the bottom from the diodes and also to hold them in place. I might add some heat resistant adhesive later.

col.
Old 28th May 2009, 10:55 AM   #282
diyAudio Member

Ok. Do they must sit on the pcb or can I leave the legs a bit longer? I'm also playing with another pcb and it has very little room for bigger inductors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ta2020.jpg (65.1 KB, 1204 views)
Old 28th May 2009, 01:49 PM   #283
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Power supply

Quote:
Originally posted by Calamaro
I've replaced filter capacitor.
Removed diode and replaced inductor with a ferrite bead to gain more room for bigger (and better) Nichicon, bypassed with 100nF film cap.

Calamaro,

I am not sure how to solder 100nF film cap.

Thank you.
Old 28th May 2009, 02:09 PM   #284
diyAudio Member

panda, just bypass the electrolitic with the 100nF film cap: solder its legs on electrolitic legs. The film cap (100nF) is non polarized so you don't have to pay attention to + and - legs.
If you prefer you can solder the little film cap under the board
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bypass.jpg (40.3 KB, 1128 views)
Old 28th May 2009, 02:30 PM   #285
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Calamaro
panda, just bypass the electrolitic with the 100nF film cap: solder its legs on electrolitic legs. The film cap (100nF) is non polarized so you don't have to pay attention to + and - legs.
If you prefer you can solder the little film cap under the board

Calamaro,

I understand now. Join in parallel.

Thank you.
Old 29th May 2009, 04:27 AM   #286
diyAudio Member

I found what seems to be a great power supply for the Lepai amp I bought on ebay. It's 13.5V/2.66A. I've been using it for a few weeks now. I bought it at advpower.com. The only catch is that they sell in bulk. Luckily, the minimum order was 2 which means I have a spare. I'm so pleased with my Lepai that I'm thinking about picking up another if I can find someone who likes DIYing enough that they'd help me improve it (I'm legally blind, so there's no way I'd be able to do that myself).
Old 29th May 2009, 06:55 AM   #287
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by goodgnus
I found what seems to be a great power supply for the Lepai amp I bought on ebay. It's 13.5V/2.66A. I've been using it for a few weeks now. I bought it at advpower.com. The only catch is that they sell in bulk. Luckily, the minimum order was 2 which means I have a spare. I'm so pleased with my Lepai that I'm thinking about picking up another if I can find someone who likes DIYing enough that they'd help me improve it (I'm legally blind, so there's no way I'd be able to do that myself).
Goodgnus,

Is it big imprvovment in sound quality when compare with 12V 3A? If yes, I would like to buy an 14V 3A. The maximun voltage for TA2020 is 14.5V.
Old 29th May 2009, 07:05 AM   #288
diyAudio Member

I can't say. I bought my amp without a power supply, so I never had the chance to hear it with the standard 12V. I decided to go with a 13.5V because I didn't want to risk even coming close to the upper limit. Like I said, I'm really happy with it.
Old 29th May 2009, 07:24 AM   #289
magixz is offline magixz  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by goodgnus

Your link does not work...
Old 29th May 2009, 07:27 AM   #290
diyAudio Member

OH! You're right! My apologies. They've apparently deleted that page. Still, if you're looking for a cheap power supply for a Lepai, they've got 'em.

Hide this!Advertise here!