Lepai T-Amp with TA2020 - Page 186 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2013, 10:35 PM   #1851
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe121 View Post
1) I have a master on/off power switch for the whole workshop, will it cause any problems to cut(and restore) the mains power to the amp regularly without turning off the on/off rocker switch?
No, it won't cause any problem.

Quote:
2) I want to hook it up to an FM tuner, I read that some people have issues with interference - any quick fixes for this apart from the usual ferrite clips.
Don't worry about FM interference. I have not encounter it yet.

Quote:
3) The seller I have found on ebay is selling october 2013 batch, badged Lvpin - these OK? or should i get an older Lepai?
Get the latest version ALWAYS. Every batch has slight improvement over the previous.
Old 10th November 2013, 07:33 AM   #1852
diyAudio Member

Hi KopiOkaya thanks for your reply. Great I will order away
Old 10th November 2013, 02:27 PM   #1853
almarcy is offline almarcy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default homebrew audio - Geezer sermonette...

Ear Persons Of Earth!

(and anyhere ((hear?!)) else you may be reading this bit of harmless fluff...)

The TA-2020-020 is an integrated circuit chip. They are pretty much binary, in that the "whole chip works", or, it is "defective..." Modern life likes ones and zeroes. I am less impressed. I started in the Wonderful World of Binary when I was a freshman at the University of Mininoplace, Minnehoosta, majoring in Philosophistrees, Girls and Brews of Science & Religion Confusimacation Semanticity - or Anything (that pays better than the $0.65/hour (minimum wage) I was getting washing dishes in Maltzen's Café, on Broadway ("They say the Neon lights are bright..."), in Downtown Robbinsdale, MINN 22. 22 was the Postal Zone, grandfather of the mighty nine digit Zip Code... and MINN was the excessively textural abbreviation of Minnesota. Sigh.)

If you are a Freakin' Geek, like moi, no two chips sound the same... but they are all pretty much doing better than anything else in the system they are used in

FurthermoreMoreMORE, the two channels (on each chip) are never exactly the same, nor do they never change, but, again, they are much closer to each other than it matters to many of us Even me, The Pure and Great Guru Master Ultimate Humility, Commander of Time and Being -and still alive after more than 66 2/3 years on this self important bit of dust we like to think of as The Center of The Universe... (FYI, that is twice as old as 33 1/3, an archaic speed for Long Play vinyl recordings... Google "LP" and become an even wiser fool...)

Enjoy your new amps

Remotely powering them is just fine. The wall wart is Always On, and turning it on and off keeps the system alert, until it fails, or something...

The On/Off rocker switch, the push buttons and the whirly twirly knobs work, sort of, but are not the coolest part in the LePay 2020A+ audio system: you are. Enjoy!

Happy Ears!

Al Marcy

PS Remember: you cannot make your system better without improving yourself, too. Perfection is in this direction. We never get there, but, it is such a Interesting Path... for some of us, or so it seems
Old 11th November 2013, 12:25 PM   #1854
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi KopiOkaya thanks for your reply. Great I will order away
You are most welcome.
Old 11th November 2013, 07:29 PM   #1855
diyAudio Member

Quick PSU question, will this be ok to power the lepai?
Genuine CWT 12V 5A, 60W AC adapter for LCD TFT: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

12v DC 5 amp 60w, 2.5mm/5.5mm DC plug
Old 12th November 2013, 09:48 PM   #1856
diyAudio Member

I've read that somebody on the forum asked about using the TA-2020 as a subwoofer amp, and I must say that I have... I have a stock Lepai TA-2020+ and an active car subwoofer crossover (both powered by a 12V DC 10A power supply) powering a Dayton Audio SD215A-88 dual voice coil subwoofer (each coil powered by a channel) in a custom ported enclosure tuned to 38Hz, and to me it sounds pretty good... And for the mids and highs I have another stock Lepai TA-2020+ powering a set of Dayton Audio B625 bookshelf speakers (also powered by the 12V 10A power supply)... It's no ground shaker, but a whole lot better than most small multimedia 2.1 systems available... Now I'm thinking about modifying my Lepai's for even better sound... :-)
Old 12th November 2013, 11:06 PM   #1857
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Quick PSU question, will this be ok to power the lepai?
Power to you... YES!!!
Old 12th November 2013, 11:51 PM   #1858
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopiOkaya View Post
Get the latest version ALWAYS. Every batch has slight improvement over the previous.
Erm Nonsense! arguably the earliest thru hole component ones were better. Less Crap added as features Less poorly designed circuits.. that only got in the way of the sound quality.
Old 13th November 2013, 07:50 AM   #1859
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Erm Nonsense! arguably the earliest thru hole component ones were better. Less Crap added as features Less poorly designed circuits.. that only got in the way of the sound quality.
Everybody has their own say. I have mine and you have yours. So, if you find the earliest versions are better, so be it. I am cool with that.

Cheers.
Old 13th November 2013, 08:29 AM   #1860
John8 is offline John8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The ones with through holes are much easier to modify with the latest snake oil impregnated wound unobtanium capacitors that vastly improve the performance.

Hide this!Advertise here!