Lepai T-Amp with TA2020 - Page 144 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2013, 02:59 PM   #1431
Banned

You will deeply regret paying for this lepai garbage.

The Lepai amplifiers are made with the cheapest/lowest quality components available and the board is very poorly laid out, the layout is barely good enough for a mediocre performance class AB amplifier, let alone a class D amplifier.

If i were you, i would throw the lepai garbage in the trash and get a AMP6 or similar that uses high quality brand components and a board laid out to the Tripath specifications.
Old 23rd June 2013, 05:35 AM   #1432
diyAudio Member

Those of you who are not good with soldering and assembling but prefer a high quality Tripath TA2020 amp can consider the SMSL SA-36A.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 25th June 2013, 06:56 AM   #1433
4PLaY is offline 4PLaY  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Is there a review around for this, maybe in comparison to LP-2020A+
Old 25th June 2013, 01:49 PM   #1434
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4PLaY View Post
Is there a review around for this, maybe in comparison to LP-2020A+
You can try Googling for one. I have both Lepai versions 2 and 3. Personally, even they sound different.
Old 25th June 2013, 04:10 PM   #1435
diyAudio Member

Great! So would you say for a fact that SMSL SA-36A definitely sounds better than any of the Lepai versions? I am only interested with the Lepai because of number of positive reviews about it. Also as a starting point in DIY. I am a complete n00b in the audio arena, I was thinking to mod the Lepai a little bit, replacing some capacitors here and there looks easy enough, however not having to MOD the amp gives me some more time to concentrate on the other components of my project.
Old 25th June 2013, 04:45 PM   #1436
Banned

Are you kidding me? The Lepai stuff is PURE CRAP!!! Bad layout literally opposite to the recommendations by Tripath and the component selection is even worse, the cheapest crap components you can find on this planet. The TA2020 ic in the lepai amps are with 99.9% gurantee the cheap fake ones.

STAY AWAY from anything with the "Lepai" brand on it, it is TRASH and nothing else!!!
Old 25th June 2013, 07:36 PM   #1437
diyAudio Member

Lol Tekko. From an idiot's standpoint it is pretty obvious on the build quality front. I was just wondering if I could get away with dirt cheap hi-fi, or if there even is such a thing. So any bookshelf speaker recommendations to pair with TA2020 amps? got a look at Dayton B652.
Old 25th June 2013, 07:47 PM   #1438
Banned

Anything Lepai will just make you disappointed.

There is no such thing as dirt cheap hi-fi, only thing that comese remotely close is good quality brand stereo system at a yard sale where the guy selling has no clue what hes selling and is just looking at getting rid of the stuff.

If you want good sound that will please your ears for a long time you will have to spend some money, ATLEAST as much as for a SMSL SA-36A and even that is a bit toward the too cheap end but atleast it uses quality brand component throughout and uses a board layout in spec with recommendations by Tripath.
Old 25th June 2013, 11:26 PM   #1439
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekko View Post
Lepai stuff is PURE CRAP!!!!
Sorry bro... But I think you are being a bit too harsh on Lepai. At least they make "near-audiophile-quality" sound affordable. Personally, I find the Lepai rivals my Exposure 2010S integrated amp and it definitely sounds better than many amps that costs twenty times more.

Yes, I do agree that its components are kind of crappy but at least their latest version uses both Nichicon and Panasonic caps instead of the usual Chinese caps. I have modified ALL my Lepais with Elna Silmic II, Nichicon Fine Gold Wima caps and shielded inductors. I must say it sounds very very different from stock. Much more refined I must say.

By the way, SMSL SA-36A costs about 3.5 times more than Lepai, so definitely the parts are of better quality.
Old 26th June 2013, 12:43 PM   #1440
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

I too think Lepai is made very cheaply, and while it may sound better than my 20wpc stereo amp I had in the 60's, that's hardly an endorsement. I bought one of these and quickly decided it wasn't even worth bothering with. I gave it to my son, and he didn't want it either. I think it's sitting on a shelf somewhere in my shop in the original box. Anyone want it for postage? PM me and it's yours.

If your goal is to buy the cheapest, gut the insides and then replace half the parts, why bother? I understand about budgets and amps, but I think even the cheapest and poorest among us can do better than a Lepai - for a few more $. I mean, is anyone really using their modded Lepai as their main amp for listening to music in a serious way? And if it isn't, why did you bother modding it in the first place?! Maybe in a garage rig.

Rick

Hide this!Advertise here!