Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2012, 04:45 PM   #1281
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

PS the TA chip IS breakable I damaged one by inadvertently yanking out a speaker wire whilst in use. Remember: All IC's are fairly fragile/intolerant of clumsy use.
No, those posts above, have wee insulating washers visible (the black & red bits)
In truth tho I've happily used Copper bolts (small ones.. Although Brass ones would likely be 'fine' :-) in the past, bought from a Watercraft type shop With diy bits of plastic washers and tubing as insulators, or a plastic sub plate mounting.
I find the idea of Paying Hugely! for Speaker Posts as Laughable (price WBT's for a good chuckle) when a simple stupid solder connection is likely far better , albeit less convenient for inordinate fiddling.
Reputedly !? Topping brand Digital amps are of consistently decent quality, IF wanting to replace your existing amplifications. Bit more coin though.

Case suggestion? Seen this one?
Class D Amp Photo Gallery
Post #555

Last edited by Bare; 31st October 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 31st October 2012, 05:21 PM   #1282
diyAudio Member

Yeah, that's quite clever use of a shelf! I'd prefer a metal case like the one in post #554 though. Seems the case might end up being the most expensive part! Looking at maybe acrylic instead.
Old 31st October 2012, 07:50 PM   #1283
diyAudio Member

There was an Acrylic diy case a bit further back in that thread.
Yes.. Typical case is ~ triple what an Amp board costs.
Quadruple with postage.
Even More for a genuinely attractive one
Making the Toppings seem a well priced purchase

In my part of the world one can often find old CD/DVD players for 2$ at local thrift shops.
Often thought the smaller ones could be cobbled into an acceptable case with the addition of a decent diy faceplate

Last edited by Bare; 31st October 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 1st November 2012, 12:21 PM   #1284
diyAudio Member

Yeah, case costs are a big chunk and the Topping amps do look pretty good value. The modushop.biz kits is pretty decent, best selection of cases I've seen so far and not bad prices but I haven't looked at the shipping cost yet.

I always wanted to try some NVA amps - they use simple black acrylic boxes and look very clean & understated - that was going to be my next purchase @ around 500-800 quid! My Tripath discovery has put paid to that

I've just done the 'passive output' mod to my Beresford 7510 DAC. It bypasses the opamps on the fixed outputs and passes the direct signal from the DAC to the outputs via 47uf caps - WOW! That and the Tripath amp sounds incredible - this from a vinyl junkie.

There's still some top-end hash that I could do with eliminating, but I'm not averse to using iTunes' EQ on tracks that are too bothersome. Don't know if this is from the Beresford or the Tripath amps. The Beresford mod has reduced it though.

When my 100W boards and PSU arrive I'll assemble and determine what needs to be done to fine tune the HF before making decisions. I really hope the new TA2050 amp still has the sweetness of the 2020 amps.
Old 1st November 2012, 02:25 PM   #1285
diyAudio Member

hozepipe, those posts have insulation, the red and black near the bottom of the picture are actually two pieces. I've used these on a grounded aluminum case with a bridged amp, no problem. You can get these for about $5-6 U.S. for 4 and free shipping, if you look around.
Old 1st November 2012, 09:48 PM   #1286
diyAudio Member

Great, I'll get some posts in. Going to make up a couple of nicer looking and easier to connect versions of the Lepai and YJ boards (when I get it replaced) for other locations in the house.

The Helder 2050 amps arrived today, just slung them together on a test board (literally a board) and I'm suitably impressed I won't gush about it here as it's OT for the thread, but they're good.
Old 3rd November 2012, 01:52 AM   #1287
diyAudio Member

Good that you are Happy with the Helder's.
IMO they are far Too much for what you actually get.
Look at this : post #68 etc
5 way project - tapped, bass, mids and tweeter, big boy system
Old 3rd November 2012, 04:29 AM   #1288
diyAudio Member

Found this thread when looking for a class D amp and ended up buying the YJ TA2020 board from Ebay. Got it in 8 calendar days to the US, sounds great! No hiss, no noise at all with no input. No turn on or off thump. Driving a pair of 6x9 car speakers in a box, running of a 12V SLA battery. Very happy.

Also have a Y148 board on order to fiddle with next but I'll likely get another YJ TA2020 board as backup.
Old 3rd November 2012, 08:15 AM   #1289
diyAudio Member

@Bare: nice horns there! Now I've looked into the cost of cases a bit more the Topping stuff looks superb value, the TP60 has 2 inputs and switching which would have been perfect fo me. There is some satisfaction building your own amp of course, but if the Topping amps sound as good as the Helder then they are a no-brainer!

@Probedude: In a very short amount of time I've gone from not really knowing much about the Tripath amps (I've had an original T-Amp as my computer amp for years but that's it) to assembling my own 100W tripath amp and owning 3x 2020 amps; a YJ and two Lepais. Such fun, and most of the info I got thanks to the forum.

Next step is to look at a preamp, maybe valve to soften the HF a bit.
Old 4th November 2012, 04:49 AM   #1290
diyAudio Member

Question about turn on thump.

The Lepai units, even the Muse ones have relays I'm guessing to handle turn on/off thump.

The YJ TA2020 I bought from Ebay has no turn on or off thump. It's dead quiet. Even with music it's gracefully cuts on and off with incoming power being turned on and off.

What is the YJ TA2020 amp doing differently that the other guys have yet to figure out?

Hide this!Advertise here!