Lepai T-Amp with TA2020 - Page 122 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2012, 03:19 AM   #1211
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Back to the purpose/focus of this thread:
What size Ferrite do'nut for DIY winding one's own Inductors (ferrite coils are $1 each) and I have ample magnet wire.
Old 10th August 2012, 09:39 PM   #1212
diyAudio Member

Just for curiosity sake, here is what my second LP-2020A+ looks like out of the box.
Ordered ~ couple weeks ago.

Click the image to open in full size.

Haven't had time to actually power it on and test, PSU that came with it has wrong plug and don't have any other adapter to test.

Can you guys tell me a parts list to order from ebay or Digikey etc, as what caps and inductors to buy, I'd need enough caps and inductors for two of these amps since now I have two and I wish to mod both of them? I'd have around 60-100€ total to blow on the parts. (Ready to blow 100€ on a 18€ amp? A hobby lol)
Preferably a neutralish sound.

Sent from my Galaxy Note
Old 11th August 2012, 02:47 AM   #1213
diyAudio Member

There is a WIKI here on this Amp.
Unlikely one could/should spend more than 15 Euros on this thing.
Old 16th August 2012, 11:18 PM   #1214
slk23 is offline slk23  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a Lepai 2020A+ and was considering upgrading it with some of the mods described here and elsewhere (power supply + cap, output caps and coils). But then I came across the Indeed TA2021 which seems to have all these improvements incorporated and a very nice case too.

It's $70, including a low noise 12v/5A power supply, which seems pretty reasonable considering it costs $30 plus at least an hour to upgrade the $22 Lepai.

Indeed also sells the TA2020 model which appears to have better components than the Lepai but not quite as good as the TA2021.
Does anyone have experience with the Indeed amps?

TA2021:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:32 PM   #1215
diyAudio Member

Interesting Gizmo. Nice 'n neat packaging
It IS $70 Though.. no mention of shipping charges either
A lepai is ~$18.. delivered to one's front door.
A decent quality Laptop 12v 5 amp PS is ~$9.. delivered :-)
Alps pot is Nice.. But a Stepped attenuator is Far better and same if not less cost than the tiny Alps. Wound wire inductors (no ferrite toroid) have proven to have RF issues. Those will need replacing.. imo.
Heatsink seems a bit small?
'Gold' connectors are sparkly.., no more no less, $2 worth at best.
Extra relay and Trimmers are Nice.. So are the caps.
One can buy a lot of medium grade Film Caps for $50 though.
But Hey It's easy... only a few mods and it could be ready to Go.
Old 18th August 2012, 12:22 AM   #1216
diyAudio Member

$70 includes shipping. Regarding the air core coils, I've seen different opinions. And if there's an RF problem wouldn't it be audible? I would simply see how they perform before replacing. The more important factor is their size -- the coils in the Lepai don't have the current capacity they should.

To upgrade a Lepai:
  • $10-18 for 12V/5A power supply (price depending on if it's a low noise supply).
  • $15 for caps from Mouser, etc. (including shipping).
  • $12 for coils (eBay).
  • $?? for new case (I know it doesn't affect the sound, but I really don't like looking at the Lepai case).
  • $?? for labor (forget this if you like messing with circuits)
So right around $50 to fix it up. I think the work people have done to improve the Lepai is really great but if the Indeed performs as good as it looks I'll be happy to spend the money up front. I've got too many other projects to allow spending too much time on the Lepai. I think I'll spend my tinkering time rehabbing some Hafler gear I built in the 80s; after 25 years it needs some attention.

BTW I'll use the Indeed amp to drive Klipsch La Scala speakers (104 dB efficiency) which were previously matched with the Hafler setup. It has 250W/channel but I really don't need that much power in my workshop where the La Scalas live (using Magnepan MMGs in the living room). The Lepai sounds great with the La Scalas but I don't like how it falls apart when pushed (in its unmodded state). So it's either upgrade it or get a more capable amp. I love the sound of the TA2020 amps so I'll give one with better components a try. I'll post a report in a couple weeks.

Last edited by slk23; 18th August 2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 18th August 2012, 02:40 AM   #1217
diyAudio Member

Hey! if it pleases you? Buy it
IF cost/value is the prime factor, simply find and buy an NAD BEE series Amp.. used. These are actually Reliable .. finally. and their Headroom is legendary, theres' NO falling behind.
FAR better than ANY ta 202x Chip amp.. hands down.. and when bought used .. genuinely bargain priced.
Needs very well met IMO

People 'play' with these chip amps as a challenge to see what they can get out of them for an absolute minimum of expenditure.
Toys.. not serious Audio gear, despite Bleats to the contrary
I have Tannoy GRF's /Westminsters.. theres' No way in hell My `$20 chip amp will ...ever... get near my speakers.

Buying premade is another paradigm altogether.
Want premade? A whole world full of ready to go... Far Better Quality...amps exist in the used marketplace.
IF that's what you're after.. don't waste $ / resources on this stuff.

Last edited by Bare; 18th August 2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old 18th August 2012, 02:31 PM   #1218
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=slk23;3130718]$70 includes shipping. Regarding the air core coils, I've seen different opinions. And if there's an RF problem wouldn't it be audible? I would simply see how they perform before replacing. The more important factor is their size -- the coils in the Lepai don't have the current capacity they should.
slk23,
I took delivery of this similar amp a week or so ago and paid just under $24 incl. shipping. http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/504369649-Free-shipping-SMSL-S1-TA2020-Class-T-Amp-HI-FI-Amplifier-2-20W-wholesalers.html
I show this seller's page because of better images, not the price.
The amp is abslolutely quiet, as is the Lepai 2020A+ which I have also been enjoying over the last 6 weeks or so.
I have had no trouble connecting these amps to an efficient pair of Tannoys with plenty of clean power in reserve.
Perhaps speaker efficiency rather than "modding" is the key?
Old 18th August 2012, 05:38 PM   #1219
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
I took delivery of this similar amp a week or so ago and paid just under $24 incl. shipping. http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/504369649-Free-shipping-SMSL-S1-TA2020-Class-T-Amp-HI-FI-Amplifier-2-20W-wholesalers.html
I show this seller's page because of better images, not the price.
The amp is abslolutely quiet, as is the Lepai 2020A+ which I have also been enjoying over the last 6 weeks or so.
I have had no trouble connecting these amps to an efficient pair of Tannoys with plenty of clean power in reserve.
Perhaps speaker efficiency rather than "modding" is the key?
That TA2020 amp is similar but not quite the same as the Indeed TA2021 amp I ordered; I'm glad to hear you like it. It's $51 now without power supply which is what I paid for the Indeed amp.

I agree that efficient speakers make a big difference when you only have 10W to work with
Old 18th August 2012, 05:57 PM   #1220
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
People 'play' with these chip amps as a challenge to see what they can get out of them for an absolute minimum of expenditure.
Toys.. not serious Audio gear, despite Bleats to the contrary
I have Tannoy GRF's /Westminsters.. theres' No way in hell My `$20 chip amp will ...ever... get near my speakers.

Buying premade is another paradigm altogether.
Want premade? A whole world full of ready to go... Far Better Quality...amps exist in the used marketplace.
IF that's what you're after.. don't waste $ / resources on this stuff.
Actually, the TA2020/2021/2024 amps sound wonderful. Power is limited but everything else is fantastic. I suggest that you do some research and check out some of the reviews on the web. For example: 6moons.com review of the Trends TA-10.

Last edited by slk23; 18th August 2012 at 06:01 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!