Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2012, 06:25 PM   #1131
swon is offline swon  United States
diyAudio Member

Is anyone using a remote control with this?

Been poking around trying to find a system that can do remote control...I want to throw a TA2020+ on my bedroom TV, which has RCA Stereo out, but it's a lineout so I'd still need a remote control system. I found a DIY pre-amp kit on eBay:

Remote Control Volume for DIY tube Preamp Amplifer 100K | eBay

Not sure if there's a cheaper/better system out there.

Edit: Found a nice one here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4Way-Motoriz...ht_1911wt_1039

Has a motorized potentiometer with a wireless remote control, so you can either control the volume digitally via the remote, or manually via the knob. Pricey tho - $54 shipped.

Last edited by swon; 11th April 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12th April 2012, 03:11 PM   #1132
jjne is offline jjne  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjne View Post
2020B it is... and I've traced the board and understand now what needs to be done, just need to get hold of a decent pair of 2.2uF unpolarised caps now I have some good quality 2200uF Panasonic caps as well so I'll replace the power cap while I'm on.
Well, that's all done, and the amp is now sounding a lot better Nice flat frequency response, and the clarity has improved significantly.

Just for a laugh I connected this up to my main system. Yeah its limitations were clearly in evidence (very little bass extension and lacking in dynamic range) but it was far from offensive. This'll now do very nicely in the bedroom

I love how these T-amps resolve details -- even cheap little things like this one.

The circuit board is pants though -- one of the tracks split and went up the solder removal tool after only a few seconds of the soldering iron and one click of the remover Easily fixed, but evidence of some pretty marginal quality.
Old 15th April 2012, 11:31 AM   #1133
diyAudio Member

https://twitter.com/#!/FerreVl/statu.../photo/1/large

My first BoomBag is Finished, Everythin works perfect. Can't wait to build a second and better one, the lepai doesn't deliver enough power. Thinking about using the Dayton T-Amp, with some full range speakers...
Old 16th April 2012, 10:00 PM   #1134
ads2 is offline ads2  France
diyAudio Member

Hi can someone tell me if the pots are linear of log ?
I need to replace them by something better, also the bass and treble ones will be single not two way (stereo), I need to match a front panel where left and right tone controls are separated.
If I need to add a balance pot, what value and where should I connect it ?
I need to replace the amp part of a very rare Thorens TD150 MKII turntable.
here's the picture of the panel Click the image to open in full size.
there is :
1 volume pot
1 balance pot
2 bass pot
2 treble pot

Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 07:03 AM   #1135
diyAudio Member

Default !!!

A big bravo there. I'm amazed. Very nice work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoLeezy View Post
https://twitter.com/#!/FerreVl/statu.../photo/1/large

My first BoomBag is Finished, Everythin works perfect. Can't wait to build a second and better one, the lepai doesn't deliver enough power. Thinking about using the Dayton T-Amp, with some full range speakers...
Old 17th April 2012, 11:32 AM   #1136
diyAudio Member

So are there ANY of these amps that are: under $75, under1% THD at 50Hz-15KHz, reliable, available?..Planning a very modest project to bi-amp 2 speakers. They should produce listening levels at 5-10 watts at 8 ohms. I've considered using amps tht claim 40wpc at low levels to get low distortion. I plan on using the Minidsp upstream. II don't want to mod anything if possible.
Old 19th April 2012, 07:33 PM   #1137
Franfj is offline Franfj  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swon View Post
Is anyone using a remote control with this?
I don't think that anybody that buys a 20$ Amp spends 54$ in a volume control…

Anyway, I will try to answer your questions about getting the Amp in a wooden enclosure.

First this is my Amp after a lot of modding… the left switch is for power, the right for tone bypass, the green led for power, the red for overload:

Click the image to open in full size.

Here the tone potentiometers and the standard connectors:
Click the image to open in full size.

In my Amp, the idea was to fit inside both power supply and amp, but I have to leave that idea because the power supply make a lot of electrostatic noise u_u so that leaved most of the case empty and that big hole at back (which was for a standard power cable).

First problem making a wood enclosure is wall thickness, you will have problems with most of the Lepai components, if you change potentiometers, switches, etc. make sure you get ones with long shaft to avoid problems.

The second problem comes here, replacing parts requires some investigation about how works, and how you can replace them. For example, you won't be able to use the switch that you have bought for tone bypassing, and a lot of more work for other parts…

Then the next big problem is wiring the whole thing, each potentiometer has 6 legs, so 6 * 3 = 18 solder points, if you put them away like I have done you will have to wire them so 18 * 2 = 36 solder points only for potentiometers!!

If I were you, first will try to open the amp, and guess to know how works…
Old 22nd April 2012, 04:43 PM   #1138
diyAudio Member

Hola Franfj,
Is it possible to use another value than 20K for the volume pot ?
Regrds
Old 22nd April 2012, 05:33 PM   #1139
Franfj is offline Franfj  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads2 View Post
Hola Franfj,
Is it possible to use another value than 20K for the volume pot ?
Regrds
My volume pot is 100K... I'm not an expert, but people say that there is "no problem" with 50K pots (or other values, if you don't lower it too much)... I haven't tried... if you have to buy a new pot, buy the same value, if you have it try and let us know if works.
Old 22nd April 2012, 06:48 PM   #1140
diyAudio Member

I have to buy one but motorized so I may use the same.
Or better I may try to use some cheap pots with different values to see what value will fit best.
Do someone know waht will I have to do to add a balance pot ?
My Thorens amplifier panel has a hole for Balance, and would like to keep the same design.

Hide this!Advertise here!