Lepai T-Amp with TA2020 - Page 111 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2012, 09:49 AM   #1101
diyAudio Member

Is the Philips based one worse then the TA2020 then?

Or do they use the same curcuit except for one 'chip'?

Can they both be modified and improved in the same way's?
Old 13th February 2012, 10:56 AM   #1102
Franfj is offline Franfj  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacocksuit View Post
Is the Philips based one worse then the TA2020 then?

Or do they use the same curcuit except for one 'chip'?

Can they both be modified and improved in the same way's?
That "one chip" is the main part of the amplifier, so probably they have nothing in common except the horrible case and the back connectors layout… the circuit inside will be different.

Also the chip in that is a class B amplifier TDA8566 pdf, TDA8566 description, TDA8566 datasheets, TDA8566 view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::, not the class D type…
Old 14th February 2012, 07:17 PM   #1103
diyAudio Member

I got it today. The box said TA2020 but it's labelled as 'BOSE' so what chip and circuit it actually has I do not have a clue.

I plugged my laptop into it and hooked it up to some vintage Wharfdale speakers. It sounds pretty good! It will be more than good enough for what I want tit for. I only want to power some passive monitors in our make shift studio.
Old 15th February 2012, 08:02 AM   #1104
diyAudio Member

Default more info

Open the box, it is simple. Take a picture of the board & post it here. Lets see if there is a tripath chip in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacocksuit View Post
I got it today. The box said TA2020 but it's labelled as 'BOSE' so what chip and circuit it actually has I do not have a clue.

I plugged my laptop into it and hooked it up to some vintage Wharfdale speakers. It sounds pretty good! It will be more than good enough for what I want tit for. I only want to power some passive monitors in our make shift studio.
Old 18th February 2012, 03:30 PM   #1105
diyAudio Member

Just a quick question on the OP in LP-2020, from JRC4558D datasheet, this OP requires +/- DC supply voltage, however, the LP-2020 is operated by single 12VDC, then how the OP can work if there's no +/- DC voltage ?
Old 19th February 2012, 05:11 PM   #1106
NWM is offline NWM
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusdeepwarm02 View Post
Just a quick question on the OP in LP-2020, from JRC4558D datasheet, this OP requires +/- DC supply voltage, however, the LP-2020 is operated by single 12VDC, then how the OP can work if there's no +/- DC voltage ?
Almost all op amps require a +/- power supply... but that is easily accomplished with a simple voltage divider and a floating ground.
Old 20th February 2012, 04:36 PM   #1107
diyAudio Member

The case is not the point.
This little amp punches way above what it costs, but has caveatss in addition to its low power:
1. Power input must be <14V for TA2020 Tripath chip. This limits output power to about 15WPC at 4 ohms load, 10 WPC at 8 ohms.
2. The usual provided PS is 12 VDC 2A switching, regulation quality uncertain. Higher amperage supplies will provide slightly greater output power at 4 ohms. Good regulation is important.
3. Strongly recommend NOT sourcing this amp from E-bay. Parts Express sells same for slightly more $$, but infant mortality on this amp far from unknown, and PE has rapid and superb service after sale. Also, there are several versions and PE always provides the latest and best in stock. I suspect the PS they supply is also better.
4. This little amp does remarkably well with some speakers that sound very mediocre or lousy driven by common class AB amps.
5. The TA2020 speaker outputs are 'floating', and this therefore cannot be wired up in the usual way as a headphone amp. Isolated common lead to headphone common negative lead is necessary for this application.
6. Yes, it is possible to 'mod' this amp to improve sound quality, but IMHO it makes more sense to apply $$ to purchase of higher power/higher quality additional amp board. Most modders do this for fun, however, and the Lepai makes for a very inexpensive test bed for those wishing to experiment with the TA2020.
7. It is often useful to boost input signal to various of these class D amps to get more output. Also I note that these amps (at least to my aged ears) degrade listening quality more gradually when driven near clipping than most of the AB amps I have known. 10% HD from a T-amp sounds to me somewhat better than similar from an AB. Of course, once driven into hard clipping they ALL sound AWFUL and can damage your speakers if left in this condition for more than a second or two.
Old 29th February 2012, 06:26 PM   #1108
diyAudio Member

Would I dare to connect these carspeakers to it ? in order to make some sort of portable speaker ?
Aura 5000RPM 5-1/4" 2-way Component Speaker Pair 269-180
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:13 PM   #1109
Franfj is offline Franfj  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoLeezy View Post
Would I dare to connect these carspeakers to it ? in order to make some sort of portable speaker ?
You could try, as they are 4 ohm and 91 db you'll get good Volume with this amp, but using car speakers has the disadvantage of not having the complete specs to build an appropriate enclosure...
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:26 PM   #1110
diyAudio Member

Make sure you don't run the amp to its limits. Otherwise you will blow the tweeters if it starts distortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoLeezy View Post

Hide this!Advertise here!