Lepai T-Amp with TA2020 - Page 110 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2012, 12:25 PM   #1091
Franfj is offline Franfj  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimusone View Post
Problem here is that my power supply also not working properly now..

If I really cannot fixed this I'll fixed all the stuff in a vero board..

Can I use IN5817 instead of the Motorola diodes ?
It seems that they have the same characteristics, so will be fine.

Quote:
How do i check those caps using analog multimeter?
You can't, you'll need a multimeter capable of that or a capacitance meter.

You can check that they "work" by using the multimeter in resistance measure mode, after touching the capacitor you'll see that its resistance starts from 0 and raises.
Quote:
Also is it ok to use 220 uf instead of the 180 uf caps ?
Thanks All for the support..
Yes, should work with that.

Anyway, I don't think that caps are the problem... try first with the power supply, then testing diodes Testing Of Schottky Diode and Application (you'll need to de-solder them or the ta2020), then check short circuit between outputs (I de-soldered my TA2020, and discovered that the board has a little bit of conductivity between outputs, so that could probably killed my chip, I dig around the tracks with a screwdriver to remove anything that could cause the conductivity), then finally move all components to another board...
Old 24th January 2012, 07:22 AM   #1092
frasco is offline frasco  Finland
diyAudio Member

There are multimeters that can measure capacitance, I recommend the highly affordable auto-ranging UT10A. It did quite well in this review. The autoranging is a bit wonky at times, I use it mainly for continuity testing (buzzer) and for measuring capacitance.

You can find them for under $15 incl. shipping depending on your location: ut10a | eBay
Old 10th February 2012, 09:31 PM   #1093
diyAudio Member

Can anyone here recommend a power supply for a new Lepai TA2020 for a friend?

I own one a Lepai TA2020 (from 2009) and bought a 13.5V/2.66A power supply for it, but I occasionally get loud pops if I touch the Lepai. Could this be due to my power supply? The company I bought the power supply from (Advanced Power Solutions) doesn't have my power supply in stock, so assuming my power supply isn't causing the pops, I can't get my hands on another one for my friend anyway.

I'm really confused. I've read that 13.5V is the best way to go, and that's what I have. Here's what I don't understand: the back of the amp says 2A, but I'm seeing people sell these with 5A power supplies online. Huh?

What are the best specs to look for, and where can I find that sort of power supply? I need one that won't require any modding as it is for someone else.
Old 10th February 2012, 09:37 PM   #1094
diyAudio Member

Will I hear a difference if I use a 12V / 2A power supply rather than a 13.5V / 2.66A? I've found this, but I can't help thinking I can find something better...
Old 11th February 2012, 09:05 AM   #1095
Franfj is offline Franfj  Spain
diyAudio Member

I have tried to explain it in the Wiki Amplifier:Lepai T Amp - diyAudio

I bought this 12V 3.2A Power Supply Transformer for LED Light Bulb (AC 110~240V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme and works very good, before, with the 12V 2A the amp usually switch off on high loads, with this I have no issues.

But that's because I'm using 4ohm speakers, if you have 8ohm speakers the amp delivers less power and is more efficient, so you will probably have enough with a 2A as I explained on the wiki.
Old 11th February 2012, 03:13 PM   #1096
diyAudio Member

Hi. I have just seem these little amps on ebay for 11! They seem a bargain too good to be true! I am looking at making some passive monitor speakers for use in my studio.

Would they be good for this purpose?

Also I get the impression that much of what has gone before int his thread has been about modifying these units. Without going back though 101 pages of technical stuff that I probably wont understand would anyone be so kind as to outline what can be done to improve these? I imagine they use a lot of electrolytic caps where poly ones could be used instead, right?

They seem ideal for my purpose. I am learning about electronic circuits at the moment and making my own mics so using these or even doing some mods to them would be quite interesting.

Thanks for any input.
Old 11th February 2012, 03:29 PM   #1097
diyAudio Member

Also on ebay there are different 'versions' of what look like essentially, the same thing.

For eg item number 320842234352 calls itself :RP-V3

and item number 250976614411 which looks like exactly the same thing calls itself: LP - 2020

They seem to differ by 5x here and there in output too.

Anyone?
Old 12th February 2012, 10:49 AM   #1098
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacocksuit View Post
Without going back though 101 pages of technical stuff that I probably wont understand would anyone be so kind as to outline what can be done to improve these?
I had the exact same problem. So I started a wiki page that Franfj has been improving:
Amplifier:Lepai T Amp - diyAudio

Last edited by humpback; 12th February 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12th February 2012, 09:26 PM   #1099
diyAudio Member

I was looking at a few of these and I think I may have ordered the wrong one. Is this one also a TA-2020 ???

It isn't labelled as such but does look exactly the same.....

Hi-Fi Stereo Audio Amplifier Car Music Power APM 25WX2 Silver | eBay
Old 13th February 2012, 02:27 AM   #1100
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacocksuit View Post
I was looking at a few of these and I think I may have ordered the wrong one. Is this one also a TA-2020 ???

It isn't labelled as such but does look exactly the same.....

Hi-Fi Stereo Audio Amplifier Car Music Power APM 25WX2 Silver | eBay
No. The one you ordered is a philips daA8566 based amp.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Can't decide what is the worst looking case.

Last edited by Virpz; 13th February 2012 at 02:29 AM. Reason: link

Hide this!Advertise here!