Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone..
I recieved my lepai last week, I had already ordered all caps, coils and op amp to modify them, the first thing I did was change the op amp... wich it was a total disaster, Im not good soldering so tiny things, and after diferent tries, only once did work properly, then I thought that it was done ok, after that I changed the output coils, then when I tried it, didnt work, but it seemed to be the op amp again, so I bypassed and worked well, of course volume pot and tone control didnt work, so then I changed the output caps, all with wima caps, tried and worked, then I changed the 220uf caps and the 0,1uf cap beside the chip and then it stoped working.... What I could I had done wrong!?... How can I check if the chip its burnt!?...

Thanks in advanced!!!

Newb here,

I have the new version Lepai, and I can't get good FM signal through this amp when connected. I only did 1 mod, which is add a regulator because my bike gets 14.8v at high revs and the amp shuts off. But I had FM problems before the mod. I tried putting a y-adapter so I can hear the FM with headphones. Clean as a whistle. As soon as I connect it to the amp via 3.5mm or rca, immediately weak reception. I know that the FM antenna for the MP3 player is utilizing the audio cable.

What mod I can do to get clean FM signal?

Newb here,

I have the new version Lepai, and I can't get good FM signal through this amp when connected. I only did 1 mod, which is add a regulator because my bike gets 14.8v at high revs and the amp shuts off. But I had FM problems before the mod. I tried putting a y-adapter so I can hear the FM with headphones. Clean as a whistle. As soon as I connect it to the amp via 3.5mm or rca, immediately weak reception. I know that the FM antenna for the MP3 player is utilizing the audio cable.

What mod I can do to get clean FM signal?

Interesting, I have experienced the same trouble with a 2020 amp trying to amplify an FM signal. I am using the amp for my main domestic setup and have given up on FM and use internet radio.
I have both the Lepai and a SMSL 2020 which I believe has all the mods and the both have problems with FM.

Interesting, I have experienced the same trouble with a 2020 amp trying to amplify an FM signal. I am using the amp for my main domestic setup and have given up on FM and use internet radio.
I have both the Lepai and a SMSL 2020 which I believe has all the mods and the both have problems with FM.

I have had this amp for about 6 months. I love the sound of the little amp. I mainly use it for MP3s. I replaced it awhile back from a failed Kinter Amp. The Kinter was a little weaker, but didn't effect my FM signal. It's got to be a way to fix this problem, unless the problem resides in the TA2020 itself.

Pop suppressor

I've been running through all the mods summarized on page 60 for the older lepai. I'm relatively new to electronics but one thing I was wondering was about djnemesi's pop suppression circuit on page 45. It seems like once the RC delay builds enough voltage to pass the gate threshold on the MOSFET, current will continually pass through the transistor to ground while the amp is running. If some people are going to be hooking this up to a battery wouldn't it be more efficient to use two MOSFETs hooked up as a current inverter instead? Something like in the photo. That way one gate would always be closed.

image002.gif

Last edited:
That could be the problem with the op-amp too much heat, I also thought of the using the DIP version, but its much bigger... anyway, that I solved cause I bypassed the op-amp, and the amp worked again. The second problem came when I changed the 220uf caps and the 0,1uf one, Since then I get 0,34V in pin 2 and 8 of the Tripath, and also in pin 6 (overloadb) I get no voltage at all, by the datasheet, it says that a logic low output in pin 6 indicates that the input signal has overloaded the amplifier. Does that mean that tripath is burnt!?.

I imagine you're using too much heat when you solder. Its a balance between not enough and too much. In your case I would replace the op amp with an 8-pin socket so you can use a fresh op-amp without exposing it to heat.

Hi all,

For those who are nostalgic towards the original Lepai, I managed to find and buy the older model here:

Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is Lepai LP2020 Digital Stereo Amplifier TA2020 Class Mini Amplifier for HiFi CD/MP3/MP4/Car Silver

By far the lowest price I've seen for a Lepai. Will probably get some more as spares.

I decided to keep the tone controls, so I swapped out the op-amp for an LM4562. I replaced the 2.2uF input caps with some WIMA film caps, and also replaced the power cap with a 4700uF Nichicon Fine Gold cap.

The amp sounds really good, and the mods were very simple to do.

Cheers,
Joe

Did you ever get it figured out? Have you tried putting the old caps back in? The only thing I can think of is that you might have one of them backwards. Other than that I have no idea. I hope it's not the chip!

-Nate

That could be the problem with the op-amp too much heat, I also thought of the using the DIP version, but its much bigger... anyway, that I solved cause I bypassed the op-amp, and the amp worked again. The second problem came when I changed the 220uf caps and the 0,1uf one, Since then I get 0,34V in pin 2 and 8 of the Tripath, and also in pin 6 (overloadb) I get no voltage at all, by the datasheet, it says that a logic low output in pin 6 indicates that the input signal has overloaded the amplifier. Does that mean that tripath is burnt!?.

soleil birth services

Hi all,

For those who are nostalgic towards the original Lepai, I managed to find and buy the older model here:

Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is Lepai LP2020 Digital Stereo Amplifier TA2020 Class Mini Amplifier for HiFi CD/MP3/MP4/Car Silver

By far the lowest price I've seen for a Lepai. Will probably get some more as spares.

I decided to keep the tone controls, so I swapped out the op-amp for an LM4562. I replaced the 2.2uF input caps with some WIMA film caps, and also replaced the power cap with a 4700uF Nichicon Fine Gold cap.

Cheers,
Joe

Did you check the shipping cost?

Hi all,

Cheers,
Joe

Look a wee bit harder :)
YJ TA2020 20W+20W Class D amplifier board | eBay
Wima caps throughout, Decent Volume control and inductors. Best of all; NO worthless Tone controls to disable/repair.
No case though.
Ohhh Ali express can be a gateway to mass Spam if not careful.. don't ask.

Hey guys,
I got a the amp from amazon and I am really loving it but going higher up it start to distort the sound. I got a friend that can get hold of electrical goodies, capacitors, chokes, ect. He offered to get me better capacitors and anything else I would need and replace them for me. He asked me to get a list of things that I would need to he could order them.

I did read the stuff of page 60 but that is for an older model. What changes would you suggest to battle the distortion and just to have higher quality sound all together?

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.