Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

Just make sure the Muse power supply is in fact 14V. Can't recall which seller I bought from, but the Muse power supply was actually only 12V even though it was advertised as 14V. My advice is to double check with the seller and also measure if if you end up purchasing.

Cheers,
Pete

I agree, receive that adapter. That store on eBay already closed. Only ordoer now sellling them. 12,43V, but works fine, can post photo of internals. Schematic not the worst, I think. Also it's not even warm when work with TA2021B. But ferrite bead on cable is probably fake )

Last edited:
I received the Indeed TA2021S amp and really like it! It doesn't have quite as much gain as my unmodded Lepai (except for the 12V/5A supply) but it also doesn't go into distortion when the volume knob gets past the halfway point :) Perhaps a fully modded Lepai sounds like the Indeed... All I know is the Indeed amp sounds wonderful and surpasses the Lepai even at lower volumes. I sense greater detail and naturalness; could it be that the unmodded Lepai has a small and non-obvious amount of distortion which 'smears' the music a little bit? It's subtle but in my listening acoustic guitar and cymbals have more clarity with the Indeed amp.

So far I've only tested with fairly inefficient Magnepan MMG speakers (4 Ohm, 86 dB). Compared to an Onkyo 75W amp the Indeed sounds very close but not quite as good. I expect that the difference would be hard to detect with efficient speakers since the TA2021S wouldn't have to work as hard.

TA2021S:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The output of these 2020 chips according to the specs are 15W into 4 Ohm @ .1 THD and 8W into 8 Ohm @ .1 THD. I guess at 15 Ohm the output would be around 4W? This being the case then a 2 amp ps is enough?
I have a pair of sealed 4 Ohm 3 way speakers in the basement and I hooked up the lepai and tried both the 12v 2amp ps and the 14v 4amp ps and there was a notable difference in amplifier output.
Have you tried hooking up your Tannoys yet?

Tannoy's Erm ..No.. Not yet.. and Definitely not before fully trusting and having genuine experience with these Ta chip rascals.
Using a set of 40 yr old 8" full rangers.. which actually sound a helluvalot better than most all other speakers I've heard over the years and I really should be treating these with more respect :eek:
Wasn't volume I was referring to but quality of Sound that was evident with the 'stronger' PS Although 1/2 volume is too loud and the speakers don't like it.

I Believe the Output caps have genuine/direct effect on sound and IMO should be the FIRST pieces upgraded on these Amps..( Before Inductors 'fer sure')
In the very least buy some decent MKP output caps.
Ones I bought were 10 for $2 :rolleyes: at my local shop.

Has anyone rigged up a way to control this little guy with a remote or to add Bluetooth music streaming?

I have a slightly modded 2020a+ running two 6.5" two way Polk speakers in an igloo cooler and it is very portable yet sounds awesome.

I'm thinking about picking up one of the Logitech Bluetooth receiver boxes to stream audio from my iPhone to the lepai but was wondering if the receiver will run off the same sla battery.

Any tips or thoughts are appreciated.

According to the ta2020 specs the absolute max supply voltage is 16 vdc.
I have just picked up a 16vdc 4amp wall wart switching ps, should I try it?
Thanks

you need to add four 40v 1A schottkey diodes in order for the amp to survive +13.5v. they're labeled as "Dh" on page five of the ta2020 datasheet.

i've done some mods myself to my amp. bypassed the opamp/tone/volume, changed the input caps to Nichicons, output inductors to Wurth and the output caps to Vishays. the biggest change is changing all output caps from 0.47uF to 0.22uF so the amp can drive 8ohm speakers easier (as per datasheet).

compared to the 0.47uF caps, the 0.22uF has _way_ better bass.

before

after

Last edited:
Hi guys. I have a ta2020 amp made by Muse. Got it off ebay and modded it, replaced all caps on board, FM caps for psu, cheapest mundorf for input stage and some wima pp for output. I have 2 questions. First, is it good practice to bypass the input/output psu caps? I used 2 ero1837 for input caps only. Also can anyone recommend a (similar priced) DAC off ebay? I've seen Topping (about 100$) and Muse (about 40-50$). I don't know jack about DACs so any info is appreciated. I'm thinking of something similar (preferably Muse) to go with the same form factor as my t-amp. Also I'd get one and replace some components just because I like to fiddle. My worst aspect of diy are cases. I prefer to get a decent one than to make it/buy it myself as I don't have much time nor money :( I'm using either macbook pro/iphone/samsung tablet or sometimes a fast track pro as DAC. So if any of the cheaper DACs on ebay (with some work on replacing crappy parts) are a valid option please mention it. I think this would be good info for the rest of the guys that have a Lepai or any other ta2020 chip amp.
Thank you.

Hi, Trileru!

You may try this one (HA-INFO U2 Plus):
HA INFO U2 Plus AD1852 Mini USB DAC + Headphone Amp + USB Converter 1pc | eBay
Review:
HA INFO U2 Plus USB DAC / Headphone Amp Review...the best inexpensive USB DAC headphone amp?

It sounds decent for me, may be best sound for this price + excellent TPA6120A headphone amplifier included. But I will recommend first of all get rid off decoupling capacitors and change PSU to a transformer-based, stabilized. Then try to change capacitors (in my case they was general purpose Elna RE3, changed to Nichicon KZ), also different opamp will sound better, I think (waiting for OPA2211). Best alternative for red Wima MKS2 can be NP0 SMD ceramic capacitors (0.1uf + 1000pf).

And please, don't buy MUSE for 40$. They are awful :)

Last edited:
Hi, Trileru!

You may try this one (HA-INFO U2 Plus):
HA INFO U2 Plus AD1852 Mini USB DAC + Headphone Amp + USB Converter 1pc | eBay
Review:
HA INFO U2 Plus USB DAC / Headphone Amp Review...the best inexpensive USB DAC headphone amp?

It sounds decent for me, may be best sound for this price + excellent TPA6120A headphone amplifier included. But I will recommend first of all get rid off decoupling capacitors and change PSU to a transformer-based, stabilized. Then try to change capacitors (in my case they was general purpose Elna RE3, changed to Nichicon KZ), also different opamp will sound better, I think (waiting for OPA2211). Best alternative for red Wima MKS2 can be NP0 SMD ceramic capacitors (0.1uf + 1000pf).

And please, don't buy MUSE for 40$. They are awful :)

I may build a transformer based psu but the one that I have (S-40-12 - 42W 12V 3.5A Enclosed Switchmode Power Supply) is dead quiet and delivers as much as I need, and adjusted for 13.5V (I'm using 8ohm speakers so I need about 2A max).
Then I don't know if removing the input caps is safe plus that the cap coloration might be actually nice. I replaced all caps, none is smd. I installed wima PP where possible. My amp does not have any opamp (I'll use a tube preamp at some time).
After looking at everything I decided that Muse is the best bang for the buck. Very nice case, good pot and nice connectors. Board is double layer and looks real neat. Since I replaced all caps anyway I just wanted cheapest amp with a nice case. Also I replaced the inductors with the one from 41hz.com designed for amp6 kit (and are actually the ones that Tripath chip datasheet recommends to be used).
So now I need a DAC and preamp that fits the same form factor. I'd build a PSU in the same style at some point if I can find a case that looks similar to everything else.
Thanks for the tip, I'll read on your DAC.

All that I wrote in previous post was about HA-INFO DAC, not about MUSE amps.
Most of this amps not bad at all. Slightly worse than Topping, and even SMSL, but not bad. MUSE DACs usually using simple PCM2xxx chips, which not Hi-Fi. May be sound pleasant and warm for some guys, but definitely not Hi-Fi.

Of course, you can use good switch power supply for DAC, they can be very nice too.

Forgot to say about GrubDAC. It's very basic DIY DAC, with interesting sound, I have one. Also best for it's price. Far better than PCM2xxx.

http://www.diyforums.org/GrubDAC/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/445155/the-grubdac
http://beezar.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=40

If you interested - I can sell you mine.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi - new to t-amps. Bought the Lepai 2020 Mk1 model with no tone defeat and I have been blown away by the sound. I've done the following mods but have a question:

12V 6A PSU

Replaced power inductor with wire.

Tone Bypass

All good except the tone bypass has brought a little grain to the top end that was previously silky smooth and a softer bass. Clarity is amazing though.

I have only connected wires from the resistors to the caps, not changed the components themselves yet. The instructions which I found in this thread say replace with 22k resistors and 2,2-4,7uf caps.

What do these changes do, and will it return the silky top end?

s

Concidentally I was just this afternoon fooling with my Last Lepai... been sitting in it's shipping wrappings for weeks.
Look in the Lepai Wiki here and DO the tone bypass.. in it's entirety.
IMO It's mandatory for decent sound
You will then have 1.8 /2.2 UF input caps, metal film types, straight from input RCA's to the disconnected from the PCB Volume pot and then to the inputs on the board where C20, C21 were.
Presumably you have fitted decent inductors? AND fitted decent output caps of 0.22/ 0.47uf (dependent on your Speaker ohms? It's necessary.
Then you should have a 'as good as a Lepai can be' result.
Frankly I've found by accident that the Yuang Jin ta2020 Amp is erm.. Better sounding than My modified Lepai (latest version..red PCB) Right out of the shipping wrappings!. Cheap too at $14 ebay .. Buy one, it won't be a dissapointment :)
This thing has DC current adjust, a full fitment of Wima caps and decent quality inductors. No mods actually needed.. although I did 'upgrade' the PS cap.
G'luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.