Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
cheers!

I have a quick question or even more an issue with my recently ordered TA2020 assembled board.
Although it works on very moderate volume in a car, it goes into proection mode once I increase the volume just a bit...it's like it turns off for some 0.5s or even less. This happens with both channel loaded, if only one is used, it could play very loud! Tried with 14v 1A PS at home, same behaviour...

Is this a problem of PS as it's about 2A 12v in the car as far as I know and simply it could be not enough for the chip as written in different threads here on the forum, or this could be some other issue?

what I noticed is that with 3300uf cap between VDD and GND it goes in protection mode playing even more silent...stock cap is 330uf and I removed it at all leaving only 0.1uf mkt.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I want to get a small tripath amp, in an aluminum casing. I found some on ebay but I don't know exactly which one to get. I want one that I can change the caps for better ones. I will be using it for testing, maybe build some monitors for my office. Also I have a pair of Fostex FE206EN that I will put in a Dallas II enclosure for my tube amp but I will leave that for winter

I found 2 form factors that the ta2020 comes in:
http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/942/35...356942_075.jpg and http://www.hllyhifi.com/images/TP-2020-0.jpg
Is there a "preferred" one? I want one because it's cheap small and has good quality to the sound. I would get a kit but I like both enclosures and don't want to have that on my head at the moment. Also is it worth looking at other chips? I saw some that used the ta2024, is it better?
2*15W TA2024 Tripath Class-D Digital Audio Amplifier | eBay
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

later edit

i found these that looks nice inside
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TA2020-SA-3...Amplifiers&hash=item3a63f70c21#ht_3977wt_1051

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSE-M20-EX..._Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item1c1d3749ce
anyone got this form factor? looks a bit cramped inside, not much room for modding.

Last edited:
These in either flavour WILL require modifications to make them sound Good.
In which case the Ali case may not fit the necessary parts replacements ie the Inductors are the First that need replacing All I'm saying Is don't be buying based on the external appearances
Have you looked up the Lepai Ta2020 Amplifier? There is a Huge thread on it in these forums and it's usually cheaper than the ones you have linked.

I understand that one needs a relay delay circuit to eliminate the POP sound at turn on and turn off.
Yes, it is bad for speakers.
But that is related to the cost of speakers imo, for example with a $5 driver not a big issue.. just bad noises.
A $500+ Driver? then the Lepai goes into the trash bin without a second thought.

I understand that one needs a relay delay circuit to eliminate the POP sound at turn on and turn off.
Yes, it is bad for speakers.
But that is related to the cost of speakers imo, for example with a $5 driver not a big issue.. just bad noises.
A $500+ Driver? then the Lepai goes into the trash bin without a second thought.

thanks for the info..

very noob here..

how can i incorporate a relay delay? how hard is it? i thought the A+ already came with it.

I think better and more simple choice to buy slightly pricier, but far better amps like Sure, SMSL, or MUSE, rather than Lepai. $20-$40 (without power adapter) - the same price league as Lepai. They use TA2020, TA2021, TA2024 chips.

now that i have it.. yes i think i should have gone that route... i jumped on it since there are so many great reviews and so many vids regarding this lil amp.. i didnt realize it had this issue till i powered mine yesterday and i did a search about it.

i wonder how in the world it gets so many excellent reviews though?

hmmm i just read something interesting in one of the many reviews that got me confused.

I believe the relay in this Lepai was mainly to prevent the power on/off thump that people complained about in the earlier version. It also trips if you distort it too much LOL. But it's kinda neat how it has that same little delay and click that a big amp would have when you turn it on

when i turn mine on i do hear a noise. i would say more of a thump noise than a click like he says. i also notice my speaker go inwards then outwards ( back to its normal position ) very slowly. what do you guys make of that?

That cone displacement, is it dc offset?.. in a Real Amp.. IS genuine reason to demand an instant refund OR an immediate repair.
But these are 18$, delivered to your front door, 'amps'.
Difficult to be honestly critical of something that costs less than one's dinner wine :)
Again if powering some Cheap *** speaker/driver then: who cares ?
IF daft enough to trust this to one's seriously Good drivers then.. shame on you.
Not so sure about slightly 'pricier' amp versions having relay setups .
The 41hz versions don't appear to, nor do the Helder variants.. to Best of my vision.

Last edited:
I ordered the Muse with 2020 and I will post some pictures and a small review when I get it.

I am also planning to buy similar amp - SMSL SA-S3. Will be interesting to read your opinion.

Could be some time as delivery is very slow. Does anyone know if the amps come with a schematic for the board?

I don't think that it come with a schematic.

Difficult to be honestly critical of something that costs less than one's dinner wine :)
Again if powering some Cheap *** speaker/driver then: who cares ?
IF daft enough to trust this to one's seriously Good drivers then.. shame on you.
Hi, my first post.
I am powering a pair of huge, valuable 15ohm, 15 inch tannoy speakers in York cabinets and they sound fabulous.
I recently purchased The lepai 2020A+ with the idea of using the amp for internet radio with a pair of RS minimus 7's and my laptop.
Internet radio sounded very good through the 7's so I connected a pair of German 3 way, 4ohm Duel's and a cd player to the amp and it sounded even better.
I decided to try the amp with my treasured Tannoy's, not expecting too much, I mean, the size difference plus the impedance did not bode well.
I connected the Tannoys up plugged in the supplied 2amp wall wart and switched on.
Well the speakers sounded amazing, fer better than with the McIntosh SS amp I had disconnected. With the Lepai gain at 12 0'clock, I had volume enouch for serious listening.
Terry

Really !!? on DC Tannoys . Initial reaction is: you are delusional Or your current setup is just Laughably Bad!
Sorry.. But that's MY honest opinion
Tannoy 's REQUIRE a 20 amp current capable Amplifier.. Full Stop. No Mc intosh can source 20 _+ amps for a start. Ancient Overated Contraptions.. even when current.
These are best relegated to the Dumpster OR Ebay IMO.
The Ta 2020 Chip Design cannot even come within Fractions of 20 amp current delivery.. Besides the turn on "pop' will irreperably damage the pore old Tannoy drivers.
IMO the credibilty of this 'claim' is just plain stoopid.

Last edited:
Really !!? on DC Tannoys . Initial reaction is: you are delusional Or your current setup is just Laughably Bad!
Sorry.. But that's MY honest opinion
Tannoy 's REQUIRE a 20 amp current capable Amplifier.. Full Stop. No Mc intosh can source 20 _+ amps for a start. Ancient Overated Contraptions.. even when current.
These are best relegated to the Dumpster OR Ebay IMO.
The Ta 2020 Chip Design cannot even come within Fractions of 20 amp current delivery.. Besides the turn on "pop' will irreperably damage the pore old Tannoy drivers.
IMO the credibilty of this 'claim' is just plain stoopid.

Thank you, but If I am enjoying the sound I'm getting then that what counts, correct? There does seem a lot of interest in these amps.
You might want to check out the following, a most interesting read on amplifier requirements.
I look forward to your valuabe comments.

Article | SOUND REPRODUCTION IN THE ROYAL FESTIVAL HALL PART 1. By G. A. BRIGGS | Page94 - February1955 - Gramophone Archive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.