Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have to buy one but motorized so I may use the same.
Or better I may try to use some cheap pots with different values to see what value will fit best.
Do someone know waht will I have to do to add a balance pot ?
My Thorens amplifier panel has a hole for Balance, and would like to keep the same design.

Potentiometers (Beginners' Guide to Pots) Have a look at picture 7 ;)

I don't think that anybody that buys a 20$ Amp spends 54$ in a volume control…

Anyway, I will try to answer your questions about getting the Amp in a wooden enclosure.

First this is my Amp after a lot of modding… the left switch is for power, the right for tone bypass, the green led for power, the red for overload:

In my Amp, the idea was to fit inside both power supply and amp, but I have to leave that idea because the power supply make a lot of electrostatic noise u_u so that leaved most of the case empty and that big hole at back (which was for a standard power cable).

First problem making a wood enclosure is wall thickness, you will have problems with most of the Lepai components, if you change potentiometers, switches, etc. make sure you get ones with long shaft to avoid problems.

The second problem comes here, replacing parts requires some investigation about how works, and how you can replace them. For example, you won't be able to use the switch that you have bought for tone bypassing, and a lot of more work for other parts…

Then the next big problem is wiring the whole thing, each potentiometer has 6 legs, so 6 * 3 = 18 solder points, if you put them away like I have done you will have to wire them so 18 * 2 = 36 solder points only for potentiometers!!

If I were you, first will try to open the amp, and guess to know how works…

That is awesome, thanks for sharing! Yeah, mounting the potentiometers is one of the questions I have. For my first Lepai-modding project I am keeping it simple with a jigsaw hole in the speaker (DIY active speakers) and mounting the faceplate on the outside of the front of the speakerbox. Then a terminal cup with speaker wire extensions internally to hook up the second speaker externally, with panel-mount jacks for the power cable (2.1 to 2.5mm for the larger 12V 5A power supply) and minijack (for external input via minijack or RCA Stereo with an adapter). That requires minimal modding, but gives me a good first experiment. I would definitely like to use custom pots & knobs for the second project.

Just received one of these. Using it with old Kef Coda III speakers that I was using with a Nad 3020 before it stopped working. I didn't get a power supply with it so I am using a 12v 4A ps from an old tft monitor.

So far I can't make my mind up over the sound. Sometimes it doesn't sound too bad but other times it sounds quite poor. Quite a harsh sound but can be 'muddy'. Some tracks sound good however.

I thought I would put a pic of the board up as it differs a bit from the one on the wiki. I know very little about electronics but there are some differences I have noticed. The inductor after the power input has been changed as have all the output inductors. The opamps look to be the same but there are now 2 resistors soldered across the legs of each one?

Perhaps someone with more knowledge will spot more changes.

Attachments

• board.jpg
    board.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 459
  • inductor.jpeg
    inductor.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 442
  • opamp.jpeg
    opamp.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 437
.............So far I can't make my mind up over the sound. Sometimes it doesn't sound too bad but other times it sounds quite poor. Quite a harsh sound but can be 'muddy'. Some tracks sound good however................

I have come to the same conclusion with that Lapai amp....... even with a "Topping T20mk2" (T2020) which is much more refined (both in constuction and sound) than the Lepai.

They do lack crossover distortion but, their limited power raises the harmonic distortion levels frequently , even at low volumes with, loud transients.
Also , the rising hi end may sound good with some program sources but, it can be anoying with others.
So, I have given up on them for the most part.

I suppose they do serve a real purpose where space is limited and only very low volumes are needed.

Last edited:
Took a while but finally read this entire thread! A bit much really, took me a few days! Now ill get my own wee lepai project under way, will report back in a while. Thanks to all those that have contributed so far, its pretty much all been covered! To those that are jumping on board, do use the search function as I stated it has all pretty much been covered. One thing I didn't see though, reworking the opamp stage of the LP-2020A+ board. Is it possible for the average guy with it all being SM or?(one guy replaced opamps but with issues, sorry i cant find a reffereance to that) As I doubt it would be right....

It would surprise me if I was the only guy that replaced the op amps on his Lepai. The only serious issue I had was some stability problems (I don't even recall how exactly they manifested themselves) but they fixed themselves. And I find it did remove much of the harshness I could get out of the stock amp (it could become genuinely painful to listen to). I had some SMT LM833's handy and used those. Many satisfied listening hours later, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I have come to the same conclusion with that Lapai amp....... even with a "Topping T20mk2" (T2020) which is much more refined (both in constuction and sound) than the Lepai.

They do lack crossover distortion but, their limited power raises the harmonic distortion levels frequently , even at low volumes with, loud transients.
Also , the rising hi end may sound good with some program sources but, it can be anoying with others.

I was expecting the bass to be a bit lacking after reading the thread and tbh it is better than I thought it would be but could be better. The highs can be too loud and harsh. The worst thing however is the mids seem to have no separation if there is a lot going on.

It would surprise me if I was the only guy that replaced the op amps on his Lepai. The only serious issue I had was some stability problems (I don't even recall how exactly they manifested themselves) but they fixed themselves. And I find it did remove much of the harshness I could get out of the stock amp (it could become genuinely painful to listen to). I had some SMT LM833's handy and used those. Many satisfied listening hours later, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I was thinking of doing the input capacitor mod and maybe the output inductors as those seem to be the most recommended and look relatively easy but I think small surface mounted chips will be beyond me.

Why do you think they have soldered extra components across the legs of the opamps on mine? I couldn't see these on the photos posted of the earlier version.

I am somewhat suspicious that power supply problems are causing some of the troubles described with the Lepai amps. I have 3 of these, and all 3 sound very good, into various (high efficiency) speakers, as well as headphones (rewired for 4 conductor connection).

The power supplies I have seen in on-line ads for the Lepai on E-bay look really cheesy. Parts Express charges more, but includes what I believe to be a better 12 V 2A supply. It is relatively easy to build a very good 12 VDC regulated supply (most standard 12V wall warts are either unregulated or poorly regulated). Results from the lower powered Tripath chips are VERY dependent on power supply quality, particularly regulation, for accurate reproduction of low frequencies, and also for keeping distortion low at moderate volume levels. I have done some experimenting with the TI TPA 3123 chip, and a well regulated linear PS makes a HUGE difference. A good SMPS (e.g. a 12V 150W Meanwell) would probably sound good also.

Results from the lower powered Tripath chips are VERY dependent on power supply quality, particularly regulation, for accurate reproduction of low frequencies, and also for keeping distortion low at moderate volume levels. I have done some experimenting with the TI TPA 3123 chip, and a well regulated linear PS makes a HUGE difference. A good SMPS (e.g. a 12V 150W Meanwell) would probably sound good also.

What makes you use a 150W smps as an eg, should 60W not be sufficient for one of these chips?

Last edited:
I was thinking of doing the input capacitor mod and maybe the output inductors as those seem to be the most recommended and look relatively easy but I think small surface mounted chips will be beyond me.

I would do the capacitor mod (both the electrolytic power capacitor, and MKP sound input capacitors change), is cheap, easy and provides a huge improvement in sound quality. But the inductor mod is more expensive and difficult to do, and personally I don't think that the difference worth the money.

Anyways, the components quality on Lepai amps, vary from one to another... if you have weak inductors probably you will notice the difference a lot, the same occurs with other components...

Here's the thing though -- I also did the capacitor upgrade/tone bypass on my 2020B, and although the sound quality is now very good, there is a noticable roll-off in frequency response at the bass end. In simple terms -- the amp is now lean, and lacking in bass.

I have not upgraded the power capacitor, but I am unconvinced that that would make a substantial difference. I now find the amp displeasing to listen to, and am tempted to revert the changes and sell it on in all honesty.

I recently got a Lepai ta2020, paired it with some bs1000 Sony Bookshelfs and pretty impressed with the sound and power this little thing puts out.

However are you guys just leaving the case as is? I've been searching and trying to see if there were custom enclosures, metal, wood etc, or at least instructions to put one together but can't find anything as it's a bit ugly looking stock lol. Or even with the more powerful kits like amp6 .... are there any enclosures or anything? I've seen a few pics of ones made with copper etc but that seems way outta my league lol

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.