Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey all,

I'm having a problem with my lepai ta2020 in a car installation...

I've wired it directly to the lighter socket on the accessory circuit... it works great with the ignition on 'acc' or 'on', but as soon as I start the car the sound cuts out.

The thing that has me stumped - the LED stays on and there is current going to the amp. What could be causing this? Maybe a grounding problem?... or insufficient amperage from the alternator?

thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

I might have found a solution to this, got the same problem powering the amp from 10 NiMh batteries. Anyway, i removed the D1 diode that says 14V. I attached a picture where i marked it. Just tested it quickly and it seems to work. But i leave no warrantys that it will, or that the amp will be functional afterwards...

Attachments

• lp2020-top.jpg
    lp2020-top.jpg
    569.1 KB · Views: 963
Hi guys im new to this forum :)

Ive been working on a little project lately, ive modded my headunit of my vy commodore to add a aux input. What ive done is ive found the points in the headunit and ran a left right and earth. I hve then connected them to the amp (lepai ta2020) and powered it up.
The idea is that the ta2020 will be used to amplify my ipod so that my ipod doesnt have to be cranked up all the way to acheive decent volume.

Problem is... tthe ta2020 burnt out and i dont know what to do. Can anyone help?? please

Ive been working on a little project lately, ive modded my headunit of my vy commodore to add a aux input. What ive done is ive found the points in the headunit and ran a left right and earth. I hve then connected them to the amp (lepai ta2020) and powered it up.
The idea is that the ta2020 will be used to amplify my ipod so that my ipod doesnt have to be cranked up all the way to acheive decent volume.

Problem is... tthe ta2020 burnt out and i dont know what to do. Can anyone help?? please

There is also a circuit that mutes the TA2020 if the input (supply) voltage is >14v. This is what the 14v Zener is for. The max voltage for this chip being 16v. This is going to make it difficult to use in a car as the battery charging voltage can reach over 14v. It confused me until I traced out the circuit :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Tony

Hi. Thinking of replacing the 14 volt zener with a 15 or 16 volt version. Has anyone tried this. Bad idea. Great idea. Dont bother?

Im still using my Lepai at home with a computer smps but its goin in my when Im done modding and wanna make somewhat sure it will work

Regards /Bo

If I understand properly, you're using the lepai as a preamp for your head unit?

If that's the case, it will not work and may damage your head unit, at the very least it'll cause a drop in sound quality. The lepai is not a preamp and is designed to power speakers, it won't behave as a source for another amplifier.

Chances are if you've wired your own aux input from a channel that is intended to be used for something like a cd player, the input sensitivity would be too low for practical use of something like an ipod. Without heavily modifying the head unit, the best solution would be to use a line-out dock or a headphone amplifier, but you may still have problems with excessive gain.

Additionally, the lepai may not work in your car while the alternator is running due to it cutting off around 14v.

You're probably best off just buying a cheap head unit with a dedicated aux input...

Last edited:
POP!!!!

How much electricity does the Lepai TA2020 use? I've been thinking about just leaving it on and stashing it behind my desk rather than having it sit on top of it. The thing really runs cool, and I hate the pop it makes when I turn it on. Clearly, it's using some electricity whether it's on or off. How much electricity would I be wasting by just leaving it on? Is this harmful to it or my speakers in some way?

^ I've found they get annoying if you leave them on, picks up mobile phone interference and all kinds of things. Idle power is quite low but it's still best to turn it off.

I seem to have blown both my TA2020's from using them without first removing the zener diode... what a pain. One is totally silent and the other is playing only on one channel and sounds bloody awful.

I suppose it's fair to say they're beyond repair?

I guess a reliable, good sounding amp for $20 is too much to ask...

Also, can someone clarify exactly which diode needs to be removed.

I've read in one place that the little orange diode in front of the chip needs to be removed, then in another place I saw a picture circling a larger black diode near the capacitor behind the power switch saying to remove it.

^ I've found they get annoying if you leave them on, picks up mobile phone interference and all kinds of things. Idle power is quite low but it's still best to turn it off.

I seem to have blown both my TA2020's from using them without first removing the zener diode... what a pain. One is totally silent and the other is playing only on one channel and sounds bloody awful.

I suppose it's fair to say they're beyond repair?

I guess a reliable, good sounding amp for $20 is too much to ask...

First off, the Lepai's power switch is wired to put the amp on standby @ around 150mah...you can rewire it if you like...

I've found that this amp can be made to sound amazing if you spend the time

By the way, I wish that there was a way to take all of the relevant information out of this thread and create a thread that only deals with this discussion...

Also, can someone clarify exactly which diode needs to be removed.

I've read in one place that the little orange diode in front of the chip needs to be removed, then in another place I saw a picture circling a larger black diode near the capacitor behind the power switch saying to remove it.

can anyone clarify on the correct diode to remove in order for this thing not to fry as soon as the volume is cranked?

Hi. Thinking of replacing the 14 volt zener with a 15 or 16 volt version. Has anyone tried this. Bad idea. Great idea. Dont bother?

Im still using my Lepai at home with a computer smps but its goin in my when Im done modding and wanna make somewhat sure it will work

Regards /Bo

I replaced the zener with a 15 volt. No probs so far. Tried it on some different batteries, one giving out 14.4 volt wich is car alternatorish and no probs so far.

The problem with the Lepai implementation of the TA2020 is that it doesn't have any overshoot diodes. As a result, it should not be run at a voltage over 13.5v. Read the TA2020 datasheet, compare to the Lepai layout:

"Schottky diodes that minimize overshoots of the outputs with respect to VDD during
switching transitions (required for applications where VDD >13.5V). For maximum
effectiveness, these diodes must be located close to the output pins and returned to their
respective VDD pins. Please see Application/Test Circuit for VDD return pin."

col.

The problem with the Lepai implementation of the TA2020 is that it doesn't have any overshoot diodes. As a result, it should not be run at a voltage over 13.5v. Read the TA2020 datasheet, compare to the Lepai layout:

"Schottky diodes that minimize overshoots of the outputs with respect to VDD during
switching transitions (required for applications where VDD >13.5V). For maximum
effectiveness, these diodes must be located close to the output pins and returned to their
respective VDD pins. Please see Application/Test Circuit for VDD return pin."

col.

Oops... Am I in trouble now?

Regards /Bo

hi gents. simply can't figure this one out. Whether with 8 ohm or 6 ohm (88dB sensitivity) speakers, I can't get sound through a powered-up lepai from an ipod or laptop connected to its 'mp3' input. No clicking, no thump... just nothing. This is true of two lepais I've got. could they really both be dead, despite no fried smell, no apparently damaged components, etc?

hi gents. simply can't figure this one out. Whether with 8 ohm or 6 ohm (88dB sensitivity) speakers, I can't get sound through a powered-up lepai from an ipod or laptop connected to its 'mp3' input. No clicking, no thump... just nothing. This is true of two lepais I've got. could they really both be dead, despite no fried smell, no apparently damaged components, etc?
I received one of these Lepai's last Friday and had a similar problem.

First, the blue LED didn't even come on, but I traced that problem quickly to a flaky "free" 2 amp SMPS. I had a good one that I quickly subsituted.

Then the LED came on when I turned the switch on, but no sound! I checked connections and nothing seemed wrong, and then sit down to look at what I needed to do to return the Lepai.

While I was checking on the return policy, all of the sudden the music started playing!

For whatever reason, it takes a few minutes from powering on till the amplifier actually produces an output. The time seems to vary. There's no thump though. Maybe Lepai has made a change to eliminate the thump but in doing so has produced a situation of turn it on Monday and listen to it Tuesday.

Fenice-10

Hi everybody, excuse me I'm a newbie, I've bought a fenice 10 (tamp 1101b powered with 12v from PC ali) and I've had strange issues.. I've connected it to my acoustimass 2+1. It sounded well but after sometime, no sound come out, but if I connect an mp3 directly to acoustimass they play (at a very low volume obviusly) and if I connect hearphones to the fenice I get sound (at very high vol) How could this be possible? Acoustimass+mp3 work, fenice+herphones work but acoustimass+fenice no? (always using the same cables...) Some Ideas? thank you very much.
P.S. the time they sound, it worked well..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.